The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What makes a GOOD spotter?

I just joined a new gym and I noticed a lot of people asking random guys to spot them. Some of them don't do anything but stand behind them until the last rep, and others have their hands or fingers under the weight every single rep... I was just wondering what you guys thought exactly made a GOOD spotter? I never use a spotter so I wouldn't know, but I'm getting up there in weight (for me anyway) for bp and squats, and I might need one soon.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Grasshoppa
    Someone that doesn't nearly kill you is a good place to start.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Da' Ladies' Man!!
    just one that pays attention to u... he doesn't necessarily has to have his hand under the bar every rep... but his hand better be there when u can't press it up...
    Every one hundred thousand mile journey starts with a single step

well if your just having random people spot you, then the best thing you can hope for is that they will pay attention heh

ideally, (and for me personally) someone who is there on every rep, watching my form, making comments and talking crap to keep my intensity up is ideal

i dont trust random people to spot me for squats either, i rather just go to failure and if i cant eek out that last rep then ill set the weight down on the saftey bars....gotta use em sometime

It's best to get someone with as much, if not more, experience as you have. A real good spotter can almost read your mind and tell when you REALLY require assistance. That way you aren't attempting to lift the bar with an attached assistant.

I agree completely with goobermor but I don't like the spotter to touch the bar except when i know I can't get it up. If they touch the bar, I feel as if it was not a real rep. I tell them, "just stand there and watch my form. Don't touch the bar no matter what until I say help." Even if I can't get the bar up on the last rep I just keep pushing to keep it in place so I get some iso until i scream help and the guy HELPS me. I don't want him to pull the bar off me, just help me get it up.

I guess that it really depends on what u like though. Many people don't feel safe doing what I do. Alot of people like their spotter do keep their hands on the bar, but I feel like they r doing the work, not me. So figure out what u like, get the same person every time so they get to know u and try to do most of the work urself so ur spotter is not lifting, u r. Good luck.
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    Someone that doesn't nearly kill you is a good place to start.
    :withstupi
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

Why don't someone with a lot of time write a "Spotting Guide" because I doubt all of you out there (Including me) know how to Spot Properly when someone is Benching, Squating or whatever...
    Last edited by Sperkie; 09-07-2002 at 10:54 PM.
    "I'm a beast..."

A. F.
    made a mistake of asking a buff looking korean to spot my benchpress.. when i needed spot he couldn't lift it and had to call his buddy.

damn weak people.. should have warned me..

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Ideally a spotter should be lifting only 5-10 pounds off you at most, NOT lifting the bar by himself. You should be doing most of the work. If you were training so hard, that you and a spotter couldn't lift the bar after you were finished, that is not the right way to utilize a spotter's help. tuttut

Wannabebig Member

hahah

spawn_x ahahahahahahahahah

i keep my hands in a ready position and im reading to catch the bar but i never touch it till he stars dying and then i put one finger of each hand under the bar and only act as a guide.. ive seen spotters who actually pull the bar up on each rep, with their full force..