Thread: Upper Body Only?

Upper Body Only?

I'm new to the game and... Well, I wanna be big(ger). I was wondering if it would be wise to work on my upper body alone. I had an accident a few years back and my right knee only has about 50% of movement compared to my left. I don't want to ignore my right leg because I'll end up walking in circles....

Wise? Not normally, no.

Talk to your doc about what you can and can not do with your injured knee, and what improvement you still expect, if any.

A case like this is one of the few times I suggest trying to find a personal trainer in your area who is experienced in working with people with severe injuries... Your physical threapist or a sports med doc is probably the place to start to try to get a referral.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I was going to a therapist for a while, it seemed he was only interested in $...
    If you don't understand the problem, how will you devise a solution?

I do however jog around 2 miles every other day.

Originally posted by cuebol
    I do however jog around 2 miles every other day.
    IMO, if you can jog, there must be SOME resistance exercise you can do for your legs.

As for the therapist; that is unfortunate, but I would try to find another one if I were you.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I think you need to consult with your doc.

What is the injury that you can still jog, but only move your knee thru 50% of its ROM?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I suffered a severe hand injury 3-4 years ago. My wrist movement is restricted and it lacks strength. There are certain exercises I have difficulties with, but that never stopped me. As soon as I was cleared by a doctor and out of therapy (could not use my left hand for 6 months) I went out there and did my best to train.
    I basically avoid any exercises that put excesive strain on my hand and that don't feel right. I also occasionally wear a brace that supports my wrist. I don't do any exersises that cause me pain, as soon as it does I stop and move on.
    You just need a positive outlook, it'll get better with time.

Its really not jogging, its really not walking. Its a crazy hybrid that works! When I go into a full run it sounds like someone snapping twigs.. I CAN bend it but if I don't keep it moving it will lock and it hurts like heck to fix it. I can't even sit indian style or I'm in a world of hurt...

Originally posted by Paul Stagg

I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I think I'll send off for a new set of legs... Perhaps I'll get some like Lt. Dan's on Forrest Gump

Working upperbody is better then nothing. But I agree If you can find a good doc and if you have insurance it wouldn't hurt. Need to find someone who specilizes so they don't just tell you don't do it. Try experimenting a little with light weight. But there your legs you know them.

Its really not jogging, its really not walking. Its a crazy hybrid that works! When I go into a full run it sounds like someone snapping twigs.. I CAN bend it but if I don't keep it moving it will lock and it hurts like heck to fix it. I can't even sit indian style or I'm in a world of hurt...
    so this a sort of hobble that you do rather quickly?

i would definitely talk to your doctor about seeign a physical therapist. they tend to have all kinds off cool workaround that will help you strengthen those legs up.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Your not gonna look like mishaped freak overnight. So keep working upperbody until you find a way to work lower body. And if you don't find a way and I laugh at ya at the gym, punch me in the nose and tell me F*** off.

Thats another thing atm, my insurance isn't active for 2 months. Good old Union screw job... Can't I just walk on my hands?

3:16
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg

we can't give a accurate infor over the net on things like injury, just to many variables to be reliable.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

body I totally understand that. I'll just go with what feels right. The body will tell you when something's wrong.

3:16
    body I totally understand that. I'll just go with what feels right. The body will tell you when something's wrong.
    sometime it can tell you after its happend so becareful.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Thank you all for the advice