Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be a good wife

How to be a good wife

Disclaimer: I am not stating whether I agree or disagee with any of this. I am just posting it for all to see. It was published in 1955.

Last edited by Saint Patrick; 01-04-2003 at 03:55 AM.

is that a serious article or satire?

All I see is a red X

thats a good thing allie..........
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

But I wanted to read the article. I like to think my ideas about dating and marriage are very different than women my age.

heres my personal favorite:
    "Dont ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him."

seriously, you dont want to read it
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

Damn!

Thats a recipe for disaster in today's world..

We sure have come a long way.

Somehow I don't think very many of the "girls" here are gonna agree with this one. LMAO

Well, it would make for reduced divorce rates...

"Let him talk first, remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours."
    LOL
    Quite funny, even though i'm sure its a real (but old) article.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Wow. Even though I don't like commitment at my age and all that...If I found a woman to do all those things, I would ask her to marry me on the spot. Even more than that, I would have the utmost respect for her.

The funny thing is that most of the feminists out there advocate that men doing this to women is perfectly acceptable and even should be done, but women doing it to men is chauvanism and male oppression.

I think that's a great article even though there are probably zero women today that would ever take it seriously.

-Justin

wow i totally agree! Now if i can only find a girl that can agree with the article
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

"Be a little gay and little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it for him."

Is this code for "agree to have the threesome with your best friend that he's been whining about for the last 5 years, and/or dress up like a dominatrix and beat the **** out of him every once in a while"?

or maybe that's just me.

now if only most woman could find the time to do allt his stuff, and balance having a 40/50/60/hour a week career because apparently our economy requires it.

then again, this is from the era of the bridge club martini lunch, and valium a-go-go so perhaps this whole catering to the man thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska

Is this code for "agree to have the threesome with your best friend that he's been whining about for the last 5 years, and/or dress up like a dominatrix and beat the **** out of him every once in a while"?
    Oh hell yes.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

summary: ladies, be a doormat. your husband if worth more than you because he is male. as long as you are a good little maid, that's all that matters. if your husband doesnt come home at night, because he is running around cheating on you, he knows best. if he does, be thankful, give him a hot meal, and nice drink, a warm fire, and keep quiet, because what of use could you say anyway?

and regardless of how different your ideas of dating and marriage are from people our age, allie, i doubt you'll agree with this article. the advice and expectations that were public knowledge back then are atrocious. And I kind of think that no matter how much some guys/people today might think they want that, they really wouldn't like it if they found it. unless you really want a girl with nothing interesting to say because she feels that her ideas are less useful than yours. That would get really dull really fast, no matter how ideal one may think it is.

Originally posted by Belial

Oh hell yes.
    *lol* i knew it. women secretly run the world. all of this is code for soemthing else.

actually if anyone ever gets a chance to read margaret mead's "Male and Female" it gives a whole different perspective on patriarchy.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Ecoli die
    There is clearly part of this article which is missing which I think most people would agree is equally atrocious: How to be a good husband.

- You are responsible for disciplining the children, not loving them.
    - If you do not make enough money to support your wife and children, you are a failure as a husband, father and man.
    - Your evenings are your own to do what you want. You should want to spend them at home engaged in family activities.
    - If your wife has to work (or wants to work), you have failed as a husband.
    - If your children are not well mannered you have failed as a father.
    - Apearance of a happy home is more important than your personal happiness. Make certain your home appears to be happy and well balanced.
    - A divorce is the ultimate proof that you are incompetent as a man.

The entire system didn't work well because men were stressed and women were bored. The stressed out men had all the power and the bored women had all the time. So the men would come home stressed out and tired and see a bored wife and children that needed to be disciplined. It was a recipe for misery on both parts.

Thank the lord that both the husband and wife can now work 40 or 50 hour jobs and the kids can be the responsibility of the government.

Still working on a perfect system, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Tiare; 01-04-2003 at 12:32 PM.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

but is it equal anyway now, how come women always get to keep the children in a divorce case, thats scary, makes me dont ever wanna have kids, loosing them to someone I cant live with, and if you get married today, you will get divorced, one way or another.

Marriage should be unbreakable, because divorce will slowly eat up the society, it has fooked oslo beyond anything good, if you are a teen and your parents are divorced, your morals have a big chance to be only half of what they usually would have been, because the trauma, the escape from any responsibiliy.
    Last edited by Rock; 01-04-2003 at 12:33 PM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

They forgot to mention wearing a French maid outfit.

Seriously, it's sad but many people, including women, used to think along the lines of that article. Some still do. Good point Tiare.
    Last edited by Shane; 01-04-2003 at 12:49 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

I was thinking about showing this to my wife, but I don't want to sleep in the bathroom all weeken.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

The article was written when women stayed home and men went to work. Personally, if there are children involved, I think that is a better way to handle things. I do believe, in general, that women are more suited to rearing children than men.

So, in that context, a lot of what that article has to say is a good template for a wife to follow.

1) Should a wife not make an effort to look nice for her husband if she is a stay at home mom (i.e. she has a few minutes to freshen up)? I am not saying she must, but it would certainly be a nice thing to do.

2) If the wife does not work, what is wrong with her preparing a nice meal? Would that not be part of her "job" as a housewife. It certainly makes sense. It is certainly a nice thing to do.

3) Is being extra nice to someone who has returned from a stressful day on the job a bad thing?

4) Changing the kid's clothes might be a bit much, but having them relaxed and clean is certainly not a bad thing, is it?

5) Would preparing a fire for your husband to be comfortable when he comes home be wrong?

6) Should clearing the extra clutter from the house not be something to be expected. Again, if the wife's job is in the home, is not keeping the inside of the house clean part of that job?

7) Saying that his thoughts are more important is wrong in my opinion, but letting him unwind a bit and letting him speak is certainly polite and nice.

8) Trust your husband and don't be a bitch if he doesn't arrive home exactly on time?

9) The "no right to question him" thing is wrong, but again, shouldn't a couple trust each other?

10) Should you not speak in a pleasant voice to your spouse?

Look, there are some things a bit off in that article, but if everyone treated their spouse in that manner, the world would be a much better place.
    Last edited by chris mason; 01-04-2003 at 02:26 PM.

Hercules
    Originally posted by Tiare
    There is clearly part of this article which is missing which I think most people would agree is equally atrocious: How to be a good husband.

- You are responsible for disciplining the children, not loving them.

Though I would agree with most of this certin parts I think need to be RETHOUGHT, "You are responsible for disciplining the children, not loving them" Not loving them, The father is the key figure in the house hold. If he dosn't show love to his kids and wife they WILL go else where to find it.
    Also " Apearance of a happy home is more important than your personal happiness. Make certain your home appears to be happy and well balanced." Apearance means nothing if there is love from the father there will be peace in the house hold not a 100% of the time but after about 5min with that family you'll know what kind of man lives in that home.

Both articles are pretty far fetched, but basically they outline key roles of the husband and wife back in the day..... and many of those roles have changed over time, but it gets to the jist of it in a very untactful way. Oh well.

now how hard is that? damn...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

I kept thinking of Ward and June the whole time I was reading those.