Thread: Progress and Muscle Growth

this is kind of bothering me. how closely is progress related to muscle growth? it seems not very close in my experience.

ex.

my chest is my weakest part and also progresses very slowly, maybe 1 rep a week. but, recently its been growing very fast even though progress is still very slow.

my back is my least developed part. my back strength goes up very quick, 10lbs a week on deads, BB rows, and 2 reps on pull ups. but doesn't seem to grow much.

biceps never progress anymore, but they grow.

triceps progress every workout, but are very slow to grow.

i just find this kind of odd...any explainations?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    You are a freak of nature.

No, I really don't know. I was wondering the same thing myself recently.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Bespoke Super Mod
    Look at your diet Cack, when i changed my ratios boy lifts all went up, 40/30/30 i was o that get rid of them.

Let the food work for u
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

my diet is very good. i'm almost positive that is not the problem. i'm using 40-30-30 myself...

Hardcore, what else?
    I think it could be due to neuromuscular adaption and efficiency.....remember you don't have years and years of training under your belt.

Strength and growth I've noticed aren't always directly correlated.

How can you gauge your gains by saying you are adding 10 lbs a week to an excersize? Does that mean after a year, 52 weeks, you'll be rowing over 500 lbs, right?

Anyways, what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter how much strength you add every week. It's all about the mirror. Unless of course your a powerlifter....

Everyone has certain body parts that respond better then others, sometimes it genetics, sometimes it form...
    I'm back, bet most of you don't even know my name!

Your progress is dependant on how you train(of course other things play factors as well).You train chest and you see progress in muscle size but not so much in strenght.....you train back and your strenght goes up but the size is not following.

Let me explain.....you want size you lift for 12 reps but only see minimal strenght gains,on the other hand your chest is hypertrophying at the rate of China.If you were not a begginer then it would probally be something else,but changes in the size and strenght department should be coming along for you.

I know you may not be using those numbers but you need to change them up and find out where the fine line is.Of course it would make sense to train for one, then the other.

I have given the repition chart before on MM.

Thats my thought on it.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The relationships are not linear.

IME, and IMO, you MUST get stronger to get bigger.

However, you can get much stronger, and not get much bigger, and you can get a little stronger, and get a decent size increase.

There are so many other factors involved.

MACHINE
    Look at the weights you're using Cack. You could be using twice as much weight for deads as you are for bench. Last week I deadlifted 365 for 8. If I do 375 for 8 this week, it won't be that much of a change(relative). However, If I BENCH 235 for 10 this week instead of the 225 for 10 I did last week, that would be much more significant because the weight is much less. In your case, imagine using the 15 lb dumbells for shoulder press instead of the 5 pounders you used last week. Sure, it's still only 10 lbs, but it's 3x what you used last week, so it's very significant. I hope you have a training partner to spot you cack. lol just kiddin ya.

Cack I know what you mean..

I sem to be progressing just great on the weight I can handle but am not growing at the SAME rate..

So diet is changing to see if that helps...

I know you have your diet well so just keep pushing.. If you are growing then thats what matters

Originally posted by gino
    In your case, imagine using the 15 lb dumbells for shoulder press instead of the 5 pounders you used last week

Hahahahaha......
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    You're pushing some serious weight on those db presses!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Cack goes to failure at about 4 reps. j/k
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Wannabebig Member
    CACK- it could be that the muscles are growing, but it's hard to tell. For example, your chest is a lot smaller than your back, so equal gains to each would be noticed a lot easier when looking at your chest. Get it??