Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Returning to the fold

It has been many years since I last seriously worked out, but I have seen the error of my ways, and I have now returned to the bodybuilding fold. I guess I should post some starting stats:
    Weight 208
    Height 5'91/2"
    Sign Capricorn

Last week, I had my first workout, and eased back into pretty mildly. I did a total body routine meant to just get everything flowing again.

Squat 135x12-15, 225x8, 135x10-12 (hard to remember exactly)

I did some bodyweight pullups - 9reps, then proceeded to some relatively light lat pulldowns for a couple of sets.

I did DB presses on an incline bench, I believe 40x15, 55x8, 65x8 or thereabouts.

That was last Monday. On Friday, my legs were still shot from my wussboy little squat routine, so I left them alone, and placed a little more emphasis on my back.

Pullups with bodyweight 10reps, 8reps, 6reps. All were to failure.

DB bent over rows 40x15, 55x12, 65x10

Light chest work. Just did some light machine bench with some higher reps, followed by the same on the pec deck machine. About 3 sets of each.
    Last edited by Craig James; 07-16-2001 at 10:32 PM.

Today is 7-16-01, Monday

Time to hit legs good and hard today!

I got into the squat rack, and found that my right hammy was feeling a little tweaked, which I blame on my paintball excursion last Thursday night. Too much crouching and scurrying around!

So I opted to get on a leg press machine instead, which I do not like near as much, and pushed out 150x20, 250x15, 370x12(failure), 200x15

That exercise about did me in - man, I am out of shape
    Decided to hit chest hard, so I got onto a cybex iso-decline machine - the one you load plates onto. I would have gotten onto a flat or incline version, but there were way too many people waiting to use them(I hate going to the gym on Mondays...Everyone is in there to try and work off their weekend excesses...).
    I did 90x15, 180x10, 320x4. It is always strange getting onto a machine that you haven't used before and figuring out the poundage to use. I started with a single 45lb plate on each side for the first set to see how it would feel, and it was extremely light, but good enough for a first warmup set. So I threw on another 45 on each side to see if it would be any heavier, and it was a little, but not near to what I wanted my heavy set to be. I decided to bump it big for my heavy set, and ended up with 3 45's and 1 25 on each side, and it was juuust right.

I did 2 sets of pec deck with moderate weight to get about 10reps each. Then I did one set of body weight dips to failure - I think it was 15 reps. Sux, I remember when I used to do like 50-60 reps at a time...

'nuff for today.

Yes, let us see your progress from training to failure with limited sets. I am sure the results will be horrendous

I guess I should post some starting stats:
    Weight 208
    Height 5'91/2"
    Sign Capricorn
    Oh, so you're a capricorn... who the f*ck gives.. this is not astronomy, stupid..
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Sinep, damn you! You are WRONG! It's been studied that:

1) Capricorns and Saggitarius signs benefit from high intensity training more than other individuals.
    2) Taurus and Aries have a higher percentage of Type IIA fibers.
    3) Leos and Pisces have poor biomechanical leverage.
    4) Scorpios suck.

There's some more, but I can't remember it. It's in Bompa's book, "Signs of Overtraining".

Sinep, you are right, this is not astronomy - it is astrology. Please forgive my brief, albeit poor, crack at a joke. Lacking any other stats to list, as I didn't have a tape measure handy, I thought a little levity might be in order, as two stats did not seem like much to list. So, I listed my astrological sign, thinking that the whole stat listing thing is kind of reminisce of the start of one of those lame personal ads - I'm sure you know the ones I mean, Sinep...

Craig

For what its worth, I found it kinda funny....

happy liftin
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Thanks Gyno for the book reference, and thanks eric for finding my attempt at humor kinda funny.

hehe. No problem. I like the sign reference. hey, I'm a Taurus. And we all know:

Ain't no bull about Taurus.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Gyno, what about the Aquarius'?

*feeling left out*

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

All I know is that Aquarius and Taurus get along verrrry well..

Tuesday 7-17-01

Just got back from a back and limited bi workout.

I will admit that my pulling muscles - back and bi's - have always been a weak point of mine. Boy did I feel how weak they were this evening.

1 set of bodyweight pullups, 10reps

3 sets of sitting Cybex machine rows, don't remember the weights, but the heavy set was for 7 reps with the last one good and slow.

2 sets of upright rows, 12 and 10 reps respectively.

2 sets of machine curls(I dislike these very much, but in my weakened state I am finding them effective.). I do these one arm at a time so that I can really concentrate on feeling the work in each. I saw a thread earlier on asymmetry, and I think it is funny with my body that my left bi is weaker than my right, but my left tri is much stronger - I chalk it up to the things that you do differently throughout the day with your arms. For example, I almost always push doors open with my left arm, but pull them open with my right. Hell, this alone might explain my differences.

Last and certainly least I did 1 set of DB shrugs. I am still feeling the muscles getting used to the workout again, so I am really trying not to go overboard(which I did with chest yesterday, and, damn if it doesn't hurt like sh*t right now!)

I think that my workout is going to end up like this:

Monday
    Legs and Chest

Tuesday
    Back

Wednesday
    Shoulders and Arms

Thursday
    Off

Friday
    Light overall workout - light weight, higher reps for the whole body

Weekend
    Off

7-19-01 Friday

Took Wed and Thurs off as I was really feeling the pain from the last couple of work outs - especially the decline cybex bench machine(still getting into the groove here). That machine kicks ass! Thursday played paintball and was not near as winded as I was the week before. Legs felt better, but I'm still carrying too much fat, and it is uncomfortable slinking around bunkers and sh*t right now with my gut in the way. Some little sh*t 15 year old kid was kicking my a$$ all night - you should see the welts on my side.

Today was my light day. The idea is that I hit all of my body parts early in the week then come back on Friday and do a light weight with higher reps workout to get the blood flowing at the end of the week. Since I didn't do any shoulder work this week I did it this evening.

Lets see - did the cybex lateral raise machine for deltoids, 2sets for 15 and 12 reps. Light weight.

Moved to the overhead press machine, and did 2 moderately heavy sets of about 15 and 9 reps - failed on the 9th.

Moved to a leg press machine and did 2 light sets of 20 reps each. Got the blood flowing good.

Next was machine lat pull downs, and I found a great new cybex machine that I could take a narrower grip with palms facing each other. Loved that machine - did 2 sets of 15 reps each. Also did 2 sets of standing straight arm pulldowns with real light weight in-between the lat pulldowns.

It was on to the incline bench machine next, 1 set of 30 reps, 1 set at 20. I used to do a lot of pushups, and I like the higher rep counts on chest from time to time.

And that was it. I am feeling some strength come back, though I have some very weak areas still. Next week I will hit the squats good again, as my hammy feels mucho bettero now(a little Spanish lingo there). I think that I will try to get onto a regular BB bench next week as well. Part of my problem is that I have a buddy who is working out with me who really hasn't worked out before. So I am showing him the ropes to some degree, and I think it is going to take a little bit to get him to try the free weights. Newbies find security in the machines for some reason...

Out...

7-24-01 Tuesday evening

I missed my Monday workout because I was recovering from a weekend of gaming and poker playing... Ah well, at least I had a good time.

To make up for it, I pushed together chest and back today.

First order of business was the Cybex decline machine. I really like this machine, as I got a really good workout on it last week, and I had a little better idea of what to expect this time around. I did:
    90x18
    180x12
    340x6 (good strong set to failure)

I then did 2 sets of bodyweight dips, 20 reps then 15. Followed by 2 sets of pec deck - and I can never remember the weight on that one.

Chest done, it was time to move on to back - starting with bodyweight pullups. I did a relatively easy 10reps.

Next I got onto my new favorite back machine - the cybex lat pulldown machine. I used it last week to great effect, so I looked forward to getting on it again. This machine has grips either at shoulder width or close together with palms facing one another. I like the close grip on these. First set was an easy warmup:
    150x15
    210x10
    290(the stack)x5 (failure)

The last thing that I did was one set of straight arm lat pulldowns(pushdowns?). My oh my how these get tough in a hurry! I think I did a wuss weight of like 40 for about 8 or 9 reps.

And that was all... When I write this stuff down, it doesn't seem like I really did anything, but the pump is good when I leave the gym, and I feel like my strength is coming back nicely. I did have to stretch my chest out very well before hitting it earlier because it was a bit on the tight side. I chalk that up to the fact that I hit it so hard last week. It obviously felt fine today, as I jumped up in weight considerably.

Q. How come Barbie never got knocked up?

A. Because Ken always came in another box...

See ya tomorrow...

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    LMAO@ the barbie joke!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Good job Craig!~

so you do heavy training for bodyparts at the start of the week then go back on friday and do light sets for each bodypart?

Is this working for you?

Thank you.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Hey, Chicken, I am still getting back into the swing of things, so I feel that just about anything that I do early on will have some positive effects. With that said, the routine of going heavy on one day, then light on another just harks back to the days when I used to hit the weights all of the time. I made good progress with this routine, and I just like the idea of hitting the muscle really heavy and with low reps one day, then a couple of days later doing more of a pumping routine with the higher reps. I guess it is still to be determined if this will work this time around.

Work and travel last week kept me out of the gym all but I believe one day, so today (Saturday) I thought I would get in and try to make up for it. It was time to get back on the sqaut rack, so here goes-

Squats:
    135x12
    225x10
    275x6

Feeling stronger here, and I should be over 300 in a hurry. Of course the downfall of hitting squats hard, heavy and first, is that I am wiped out after them. I had every intention of hitting the rest of my body in a light overall workout, but I only managed to get a couple of light bench sets in -
    90x30
    90x25

And, thats all she wrote - I had to lay on the floor for a while like a little girl to catch my breath after this...

I forgot how much I love squats, especially how they can incapacitate you. For example, I got home just a little bit ago, and I could barely walk up the stairs.
    Last edited by Craig James; 07-28-2001 at 05:53 PM.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.......

The first Muscle and Fitness mag that I ever bought was in early 1980. The issue - "Conan the Barbarian". That was my first ever introduction not only to Arnold in the role he was made for, but to bodybuilding as well. I think I may still have that mag laying around somewhere, it was that cool. And, of course, I loved the movie.

It was too bad about the sequel, though...

7-30-01 Monday evening

Due to the screw up in schedule last week, today ends up being a back day. Have I mentioned how much I really dislike working out on Mondays??? It can really suck, because everybody and his brother, sister, cousin, and third-step-uncle thinks that they have to workout on Mondays, too. Oh, well, enough whining...

After my light 5 minute bicycle ride to get the blood flowing, I got onto the pull up bar, and proceeded to feel like a giant pansy-ass. I could barely do 9 BW pullups, and I just felt weak as can be. I decided to try a little different grip on my second set, and went with a narrow grip. The next set was much improved, and I did about 12 reps in that fashion.

Moved over to the one arm DB rows.
    60x12
    80x8
    95x8

Those got tough in a hurry... Felt really good, though.

The last exercise that I did was BB shrugs.
    135x15
    225x15
    315x10

When I got finished with those, my back was fried from top to bottom. How many sets total was that for back? I count 8 total sets, two of which were warm up sets... Seems like so little, but I can feel how well it is working for me.

Legs are definately sore from the Sat workout. I must say, it is great to be back in the gym again...
    Last edited by Craig James; 07-30-2001 at 08:37 PM.

8-1-01 Wednesday evening

Ahh, the post workout jellification that is my chest and triceps right now...

Today: Chest day.

First: Cybex Iso Decline Device.
    90x18
    180x12
    360x6 Strong set to failure
    180x10

Dips - 1 set of 20reps BW

DB incline benchpress
    60x8 to failure - definately out of juice by this time. First DB press that I have done in ages. I will have to remedy that soon.

Crap, thats it... Looks like I hardly did anything, yet my chest and tri's are completely blown. I love this low volume sh*t!

I wish I could think of something more to say - but it appears that all of the blood that should be circulating through my brain is trapped in my chest, and I can't think straight... Kind of like what most women go through on a daily basis!

Did I really just say that? Oops! Just kidding, ladies. I want you gals to know that I truely believe that women are the more intelligent of the species, but according to the male fraternity, I have to make jokes like I think otherwise...

You better watch it, the boobies have ears!

Well, looks like things are going pretty smoothly. Noticed a 20 lb increase in the iso-decline.

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    You better watch it, the boobies have ears!
    Damn skippy they do! And the possessors of said "boobies" also has ability to give a snappy comebacks...
    Actually, you're sticking with it and that's muy bueno (a little spanish lingo here) . Most people go a couple of times (usually a Monday) then decide that they much rather stay at home with a pint of HaagenDas Dulce de Leche and Comedy Central reruns.
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    ...just because you wish you had boobies....tuttut

Had to laugh at your Monday gym rant...there's one almost like it from a few weeks ago in my journal

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost