Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of the Beginning

Back at it

The End of the Beginning

“People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates.”

~Thomas Szasz, The Second Sin

Well, it's 2003 and it is time to put the learning phase of my training behind me and take things seriously.

I have taken lifting seriously in the past, but it hasn't been until recently that I've established a solid foundation of knowledge in both diet and training.

Now, those experienced folks who know of my test with 1-AD will say I tried it too soon and should have waited until I had more experience under my belt, but I have lifted for 2 years now and I felt it was what I needed to move to the next level. This turned out to be a very good decision on my part.

1-AD helped me focus in on what is needed in terms of focus and commitment while helping add 10 pounds. Granted some of that was fat, but my strength had a substantial boost and it gave me the mental confidence to break out of my fear of squats, dead lifts, and heavy bench. Don't expect the stuff to add gobs of mass, but mentally it has its advantages and it did increase my strength levels.

"The end of the Beginning" refers to this movement away from simply learning to concentrating on going into the gym, mentally focusing on the weight at hand, and pushing/pulling iron like a madman.

I have not updated my 1-AD journal lately but that is in part due to the holidays and the inability to record my diet and training. I will post after pics later because I am currently taking 6-oxo while coming off of my 1-AD cycle. Some would have taken their pictures at the conclusion of the 1-AD, but I feel that to get a true reflection of any progress one must wait until after the 6-oxo (should it be taken). 1-AD causes water retention and a larger pump of the muscles, so I want to record my progress once these factors are less substantial.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-09-2003 at 12:59 AM.

Back at it
    My diet from the last couple of days. My goal is 3,500 calories and 300g protein.

12/6
    3,380 calories/ 300g protein

12/7
    3.570 calories/ 313g protein

*I'll try to keep my eating schedule similar to what helped me reach these totals.

ROUTINE

MONDAY
    Chest/Forearms

TUESDAY
    Rest

WEDNESDAY
    Back/Hams

THURSDAY
    Rest

FRIDAY
    Arms/Shoulders (Curl Jockey day!!)

SATURDAY
    Rest

SUNDAY
    Quads(+squats)/Calves

Being in school it shouldn't be hard to keep to this routine. I used to do 5 days a week but I'm going to scale it back a bit. Obviously I'm going to work everything hard but my legs and arms are lacking the most.

Doh! I forgot to include my goals. My goals for the year are to weigh 210 pounds at 8-10% bodyfat. This is going to be a challenge because I'm currently at 190 pounds @12-14% but I have a fast metabolism and the 40 pounds I've gained in a little over 2 years has mainly been without squats, deadlifts, or really anything all that heavy. I also want to join the 1,000 pound club with a squat/bench/deadlift split.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-12-2003 at 05:46 PM.

Back at it
    12/8 Workout

BACK

Bent over BB rows
    155x8 175x8 185x8

HS Front Pulldowns
    135x 6 125x6 115x4

Deads
    225x8 275x6 315x4 225x8

Seated Cable Row
    200x6 180x8

*My lower back is still tender but I've decided to work through the pain. It's not skeletal nor the disks... I think it's just inflamed ligs from not being used to doing dead lifts. I'll monitor it but do plan on going heavy.

A funny thing happened today. I was sitting in my econ 300 class and this strange feeling rushed over my body. Realizing there were no cute girls in my class that could have caused this, the demon that caused it became evident. I WAS LEARNING SOMETHING!!! AND I ENJOYED IT!!! Usually I never pay attention in class but the economic theory we were covering was kind of, do I dare say, enlightening?!

Originally posted by GIS
    I WAS LEARNING SOMETHING!!! AND I ENJOYED IT!!! Usually I never pay attention in class but the economic theory we were covering was kind of, do I dare say, enlightening?!
    I hope that one day I can learn something...

...but that day will probably never come.

Back at it

Re: The End of the Beginning

Today I tried to put on a pair of underwear.

Big whooptydo, huh.

Well, the exciting thing is (get your mind out of the gutter) the legs of my boxers were unusually tight around my thigh! My legs are growing!

Just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-09-2003 at 12:57 AM.

For grins and giggles

I like that quote by Szasz. Very true.

Nice split btw. I'm almost tempted to try that but I tend to vegitate on the weekends and just can't get motivated to do anything on sunday's.

3.570 calories/ 313g protein
    *lol* I don't think almost 4 calories is enough. Just messing. Do you take any weight gainer or is that all real food?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Back at it
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    For grins and giggles

I like that quote by Szasz. Very true.

Nice split btw. I'm almost tempted to try that but I tend to vegitate on the weekends and just can't get motivated to do anything on sunday's.

*lol* I don't think almost 4 calories is enough. Just messing. Do you take any weight gainer or is that all real food?
    Hehe... yeah, I was thinking about 4 calories but decided I'd like to cut a little before bulking again. For some reason I was unsually light headed and hallucinated about smurfs all day...

I take in about 1,000 from weight gainers and the rest from food.

Back at it
    12/10- Arms/Shoulders

--------------------
    Preacher curl- 75x8
    Cable Straight bar curl- 90x8
    Curl-Grip chins- 6

2 min rest

Preacher curl- 65x8
    Cable Straight bar curl- 90x8
    Curl-grip chins- 6

Negative BB curl (6 second drop)- 50x6
    --------------------

Close Grip Bench- 135x8
    Cable Press- 135x8
    Hammer Strength Dips- 90x8

2 min rest

Close Grip Bench- 135x8
    Cable Press- 135x8
    Hammer Strength Dips- 70x12

Cable pressdown- 75x7
    ---------------------

Shoulders

Rear BB military press
    155x8 175x3 135x6(slow, deep, and didn't lock out at top)

Lat raise machine
    12x8 8x8(1 arm at a time) 13x4

Upright rows
    95x8
    ----------------------

*My military press felt great and I'm trying the bi/tri workout that Mr. Mason has listed in one of his articles on WBB.

Not much happened today other than my toilet clogging, which was, well, sh*tty. As for diet, I'm looking at about 3,500 calories and 330g protein today after my subway and bedtime protein shake. I'm thinking that protein number is getting kinda high so I'll aim lower in future days. I don't really want to exceed 300g.

Workout looked good How long are you going to be doing this arm routine and what kind of results do you expect from it?
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Back at it
    Originally posted by EdgarMex
    Workout looked good How long are you going to be doing this arm routine and what kind of results do you expect from it?
    I'll do this routine for a month or so, and have no idea what to expect. I think after that month I'm just going to not train arms alltogether and focus on weighted dips and weighted chins. The day after my tris are mayble a little bit sore but I don't feel anything in my biceps... which might be a good thing. While DOMS arn't necessarily an indication of growth, my bis used to be raw the day after a workout, and quite possibly overtrained.

I'll take any arm growth that I can at this point. If I wear a long sleeved shirt rolled up to my elbows people say I'm pretty damn big. If I wear a tshirt with mid arm sleeves they don't say anything. My torso has decent size, but my arms are deffinatly lagging.

It's those goddamn ape arms of mine.

Back at it
    12/12- Legs

QUADS
    Parallel squat
    185x8 205x6 225x6 135x6(2 sec pause)

Hack Squats
    140x6 160x6 180x4

Leg Extension
    75x8 90x8 105x8 210x8 *First 3 sets were 1 leg at a time

Slow Front Squats
    145x8

CALVES
    Standing Smith Raises
    270x10 250x10 23010 180x10(slow reps)

Seated Rotary Calve presses
    170x12 190x12 170x15

*This was the best leg workout I've ever done in my life that included squats. I was happy with 225x6 and I could have both increased the weight by quite a bit more and done more reps, but I'm taking one thing at a time with squats by building a solid foundation with my ligs, back, and stabalizing muscles considering this is only like the 5th workout in my life that I've done the exercise. The hack sled is considerably more difficult at my school's gym (where I do legs because they have a power rack) than my other gym.

I also found a use for that goofy looking machine that thinks it's a power rack! Standing smith calve raises with using a block of wood for a larger range of motion made my calves scream.

Diet hasen't been the best in the past couple days but ah well.

Oh yeah. As for my routine I'm now going to do calves/quads on Sunday and back/hams on Wednesday. I realized that on Sunday I mainly do quad exercises aside from squats so in order to hit my hams I'll do them after deads when they're being worked anyway.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-12-2003 at 05:45 PM.

Back at it
    12/13- Chest/Forearms

CHEST
    Weighted Dips
    +45x8 +50x6 +45x6

Incline DB Press
    85x6 90x4 80x6

HS Wide Grip Press
    145x8 160x5 135x6-last 2 reps 4 sec. negative (weight listed is for one arm)

FOREARMS
    Reverse Curls
    65x8 75x6 70x6

Behind Back BB curls
    135x8 125x10 115x12 95x12

BB Flat Wrist Curls
    60x12 60x10 60x12

*First time doing weighted dips and I like how they felt- painfull! My chest was raw after doing them, particularly the inside. I'm also hoping these will help spark my triceps to grow. 90x4 incline DBs felt strong although it took 5 seconds to get them from my chest to the top on the first rep... hehe.

On a non-lifting note, looks like I'm going to a masquerade ball with a 5'11" model for Nordstroms and the Bon. She's certainly cute, really thin, and extremely fun. Whoo! I dunno about the as-tall-as-me girl thing, though. Ah well, who's to complain.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-13-2003 at 09:46 PM.

Don't think of her as "as tall as you." Think of her as "taller than PowerMan."
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Back at it
    Well, I have a little pondering about life that has been on my mind lately, mainly dealing with my quest for financial success.

I'm 21 years old. If you take into consideration a rough estimate in how long an individual lives in the United States, that means I am a quarter the way dead, or in more optimistic words I have 75% of my life to look forward to... or do I?

The first 25% of ones life is generally spent learning about life itself. As stated with the quote at the beginning of this journal, the self is not something one finds, it is something that is created. With this in mind, we can assume that in those 21 years (It's more like 25 years), a person essentially spends his or her time trying to create themselves through testing morals and observing life.

So, while my life is technically 25% over, I have also lost 25% of my time for directly achieving financial success. This brings me to the final 25% of my life. In the years of retirement and drooling on their shirt while confined to the restrictions of a bed or wheelchair, most couldn't care less about financial success considering success at breathing is a highly celebrated achievement. When subtracted along with the first 25% of my life, only 50% of my life is left for financial success.

Okay, so I have 50%, or half, of my life to achieve financial success that involves the ages of 22-63. This is quite a bit of time, but I'm also a family man who greatly looks forward to having a daddy's little girl and a scrapping young boy. I think the ideal age for having children is at around 30 years old, and assuming they are two years apart and need their parents full time until around the age of 18, this means the ages of 30-50 will be spent full of both joy and stress to raise my children the way I feel is best.

So, knock off 20 years out of my life that could be spent starting a business and putting forth the energy that is required for it to be greatly successful and profitable.

That leaves me with a mere 26% of my life to do this business thing. Having and raising offspring are stressful and exhausting commitments so once they do move off to college, most people lost a lot of energy for doing things like entrepreneurship. Yep, that means toss out those years between sending the children off to independence and retirement as being a very probable time when I could start a business and, like I said, put forth the energy to make it successful.

This leaves me with between the ages of 21 (present time) and 30 to come up with and implement a plan for vast financial success. 9 years to put together a plan and head my life in the direction I want it to go. Some will say that's ludicrous because of course a person can start a business at any age, especially those years when raising children, but when I have children they are going to have a father in their life who is more involved with them than a business. If something is up and running prior to having children that's fine because it's much easier to maintain a business than to start one. Not only that, but I wish to have financial success relatively early in my life. What good is $20 million at the age of 70? That buys a damn nice wheelchair but that’s about it when you rarely leave the house.

I guess where I'm leading with this is as follows:

You're never too young to think about the future. For those who are unsure with what you want to do in life, don't just say you'll get back to it some other day while playing. One year leads to the next and when you're 30 you're going to wonder where the time went while having many "I wish I woulda..." thoughts. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. This by no means applies soley to financial success... it applies to any and everything in your life. I'm 25% dead. At 42 I'll be half dead. At 80 I might very possibly BE dead. Gone. Not many people know EXACTLY what they want to do, including myself so this is not in reference to that. However, it is still important to think hard about what you want in life, and where you want to be in the future. Some people say they want to live life so they don’t have any regrets, with this usually involving playing and partying hard. Is what they don’t realize is while they might have some great memories 30 years down the road, they might also have overwhelming regrets involving those aspects of life requiring planning such as careers and families among many other things.

So what do YOU want to do with your life? It's never too early to start thinking.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-14-2003 at 10:45 AM.

LOL, you worry too much. Be passionate and ambitious but still take the time to smell the flowers. Simple.
    What is elite?

Back at it
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    LOL, you worry too much. Be passionate and ambitious but still take the time to smell the flowers. Simple.
    Haha... those are not words of worry... rather words of excitement. I have been inching closer to my dream of starting a business. Sure money is nice, but I've been a little entrepreneur since a little kid and I'm finally getting to go out there and pursue my dreams and passion. I smell pleanty of flowers along the way, trust me.

I'm in the process of starting a venture with a friend and potentially with a guy who is 25 years old and started a business that has made him worth over $20 million by 25. I envy his ambition and it's taken me my 21 years to find a couple of people who share the same vision that I do. Viva life!

Damn, that sounds awesome man! Sounds like you've got things exactly where you want them. Congrats for knowing where you want to go. Not many do by our age. I'm 22. Good luck in your endeavors! And if you need anybody else to help you with the $20mil...
    What is elite?

Ugh, too much text. I'll read through it when I get the chance. Boy you like to read yourself talk, don't you? Ugh.

Back at it
    Read yourself talk... hehe. Nah, my journal is for lifting as well as rambling, and it took maybe 5 minutes. I just typed, and it ended being kinda long.

I think I'm going to do a little cardio today and try to integrate it into my off days. I'm getting kinda fat and I want to do it for overall cardiovascular health.

Re: Re: The End of the Beginning

Originally posted by GIS
    Today I tried to put on a pair of underwear.

Big whooptydo, huh.

Well, the exciting thing is (get your mind out of the gutter) the legs of my boxers were unusually tight around my thigh! My legs are growing!

Just thought I'd share.
    haha.....believe it or not I relate. My boxers are all griping the heck out of my thighs now.

Even though I'm already trying to keep up with way too many journals, I think I'll add yours to my list. I'm just really impressed with the way you carry yourself and your eagerness to learn and apply those things you learn in BB and life.

Good job bro!
    peace-

Craig

Back at it

Re: Re: Re: The End of the Beginning

Originally posted by BennettBoy
    I'm just really impressed with the way you carry yourself and your eagerness to learn and apply those things you learn in BB and life.
    Thanks Bennett. I'm not egotistical but I have an understanding about life that most people never attain. For this reason I've always felt like an outcast. Sure I've had plenty of friends, attract girls, and have enjoyed life, but at the same time I've never been comfortable around my age group. Usually the people I end up being best friends with are older than me, and when it comes to girlfriends I end up being closer to the girl's parents (usually the father) than the girl herself! It hasn't been until recently that I've felt like I've fit in, and it's been with these several budding entrepreneurs like myself.

I know what it's like to be a genius. You know... those excessively brilliant people who end up going mentally insane or are just flat out weird and can't socialize? It's because they have an understanding of things that NOBODY around them understands so it's like being secluded on a small island, only in their case they have nobody they can relate to mentally. I'm not going insane and I don't consider myself a genius, but what I've experienced is very similar to this.

It has more to do with finding somebody that has the ambition and outlook on life than the potential to attain riches. The past 6 months have been a MAJOR turning point in my life for the best, but that goes without saying there is certainly plenty of hardships and tests of my strength in the road ahead.

When friends, strangers, and interviewing employers ask me where I see myself in 10 years, I flat out tell them I have NO idea and that's the best part. I know what I want in life (what you want does change, however), but the fact that I have the whole world in front of me with no limit on what I can do both fascinates and excites me. I take an approach to life that involves deciding what I DON'T like/want to do rather than deciding what I DO want to do. By simply deciding what one wishes to do, he or she is doing nothing more than closing all the doors that could potentially lead to bigger and better things. That's why I have issues with how college is structured. They teach you to be an employee and make you decide exactly what field you want to specialize in.

Anyway, I digress.

Back at it
    12/15- Back/hamstrings

BACK
    Bent BB Rows
    185x8 195x5(fail from grip) 205x6 135x8

Deadlifts
    225x8 315x4 340x1 225x8

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
    140x8 160x4 120x8

Seated Low Cable Row
    16x8 18x8

Hams
    Light ham work on laying leg curls and seated curls

*An okay workout. Did it at the school gym so it was a pain to do deadlifts because of no mirror and too many eyes. Regardless, a PR with 340 although i've never really tried to go for a max. I'll just work from there. On a scale of 1-10 when it came to intensity and focus, this workout got a 6.

RANT: Goddamn Mariners! They've made no offseason moves so far other than signing a few returning players. Not only that, but they let go of Charles Gipson and Desi Relaford... neither players are huge contributers, but Gipson brought INCREDIBLE heart to the team (this guy was all out all the time) and Desi had some skills as a bench player.

This is a team based on chemestry and not big ticket names, but damnit we need some a big bat and a fifth starter! Today the GM announced they're going to rely on the minor league talent they have for starter #5, and while there is talent, it's always, and I mean ALWAYS on the disabled list.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-16-2003 at 12:54 AM.

Back at it
    1/17- Arms/Shoulders

SHOULDERS
    Seated rear military press
    135x8 175x4

Lateral Raise Machine
    12x8 10x8 8x8

Upright Rows
    100x8 110x6

ARMS
    BB Curls
    80x8 90x6

BB Curls/BB Preacher curl supersets
    70x6/60x8 70x6/60x8

Reverse-grip narrow chins
    BWx8 BWx8

Skulls
    85x8

*Wasn't in the mood to workout today and the gym was crazy-insane.

Back at it
    1/19- Quads/Calves

QUADS
    Squat
    185x6 225x6 245x4 155x4(ATF & slow)

Hack squat sled
    160x6 180x6 200x4

Front Squat
    155x6(ATF & slow)

Leg Extension
    150x8 70x8(1 leg) 80x8(1 leg) 180x10

CALVES
    Standing Smith Machine Raises
    270x10 250x8 230x8 180x10

Seated rotary press
    180x12 200x12 210x12

*Eh, a pretty good workout. 245x4 with squats is a pr but I did them parallel box squats. I've always wondered why squats are so uncomfortable for me but I realized it's because I'd always go really deep. Now that I had a bench to show me where parallel is, it was cake. Be expecting another leg monster with me in the future! Genetically my legs are awesome and my shape is great.

I think I'm going to start cardio today and do a mini 2 week cut. My bodyfat is getting higher than I'd like and I want to drop 1-2% before hitting my bulk hard again. More for ****s and giggles than anything else... I need a little change in my workouts.

Back at it
    Note to self:

Do not do 30 minutes of outdoor jogging in 34 degree weather, especially if it was leg day and you hadn't done cardio for over a year.