Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Sumo compared to your normal dead

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I use this thread to ask a question: Is there anybody here who deadlift with a trap bar (diamond-shaped bar)?

Because I've never deadlifted with a normal bar (well, twice or thrice, with very light weigth when I was learning the movement), and I'd like to compare how much someone can lift with the trap bar with how much using a normal bar.

i have never tried sumo but i will.

Blitz doesn`t have the bar moving in a straight line and his torso is too inclined at one point. I think he needs to try setting the bar up closer to his shins... just a thought

Just trying to learn
    We use the trap bar when we lift, but I've never used a regular bar, so I don't know what kind of relationship there is.

Trap bar allows for a significantly greater lift in my opinion.

Originally posted by dkliewer
    What makes someones Sumo lower than their conventional? Would it be strength or would it be how they are built?
    Its a mix of mechanics and strenght imbalances. For me doing sumo's is alot harder then conventional deads because i have very short arms so when i do sumo's my hands are rubbing with my thighs all the way to lockout
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I'm just like that too. My arms are short compared to my legs. I bet that is why my Sumo is lower than my coventional. I really like the Sumo's though, so I'm gonna keep doing them
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

beercan
    I agree chris. They have "meets" where curling is an event, and trap bars are used for the deads. 600lb lifts are common at them.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

My SUmo

Getting a feel for these, working on form etc.
    I used 25s so the ROM feels a lot like a parallel squat, hmm kinda BOX Squat like! Damn hams, especially near the glutes, glutes, abdductors, even my quads were really pumping up from these, lower back not as much as conventional. I really like how these feel, I think I may have found the posterior chain strength movement of choice! For my body type - shorts , long thighs, this is a better way to go than conventional.

Still trying to decide on 2 stance widths, closer in or feet out on outer rings. Best thing is that I don't need to scrape my shins with this move unlike conventional!

Here is a Clip of my Sumo Deadlift Form - 3 sets from different angles.

3.6megs - Right click on link and save before viewing thanks
    http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...adliftForm.mpg

I may try a slightly narrower stance, felt a little bit more solid with the set I did with a 6 inch reduction in stance width.
    Feel free to comment