Thread: Prime age for Training

Wannabebig Member

Prime age for Training

I am 28 and in the best shape of my life and the strongest i've ever been.You see, i'll share something with you,A little ashamed to mention this,but A year ago i was addicted to cocaine and couldnt care less about my training anymore.I was so bad off i would spend 45 minutes looking on the floor just for a little piece of coke after it was all gone.I have been clean for 6 months now.Looking back it was a nightmare and used weight training to replace such a destructive lifestyle and it worked.I urge everyone Never to try this....Anyway im just wondering if 28 is a little past the prime age or is it the best age?

Wannabebig Member
    I would think that the prime age to start would be 16+. Your body is growing and just overflowing with hormones.

I think ANY age is great for lifting though. I will do it untill the day I die, and I only hope to get stronger with every passing year. So every year added on to my time weightraining will be "prime".

Actually, late 20s to mid 30s seems to be best for maximal strength. Why, I don't know.

Oh, and you're the same guy who asked about partying and muscle growth. I don't think smoking pot is a great idea as it is considered a "gateway" drug. Hanging around potheads will eventually expose you to cocaine again, potentially leading to problems.

Wannabebig Member
    I rarely ever smoke pot anymore,I think my partying days are behind me.Except for a night out drinking occasionally.The only high I get is from Hot babes and lifting heavy weights!

I think it all depends.

For lots of strength atheletes (PLers, Strongman), they hit their prime a little older.. Most of the big name Plers are 30's, some are 40's.

Really good natural bodybuilders also seem to really hit their prime in their late twenties to thirties.

The main thing is that you keep at it. I'll turn 33 in April, and I just plan on keeping getting stronger, keeping getting better.

This is a long term game.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Drinking can be a gateway to coke cause ya want to keep partying. Alot of pot heads, never go near the hard stuff. But I think the key is not being around it. Alot of coke users don;t like pot, it is an all together dif drug. Some like it all. But with the extent you did it, you proabably know how to get it easy. Which can be bad. Keeping focued on weight lifting is good. I don't think your to old. Probably won't be in the olympics. I wish I hard started in HS though. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Back at it
    I'm with Paul.

I graduated from high school with a friend who could bench like 430 and squat around 600 pounds. Obviously at 18 he was stronger then hell.

Then there's my brother who genetically I take after. At my age (21) he could barely put up 225 on the bench. Once he hit about 28 or 30 he could all of a sudden do 275 with out working out.

And as Paul said, late 20's is the prime for most natty BBers. To get big naturally it takes a LONG time... so it takes that time from the late teens to late twenties to develop.

BTW, it's never too late in a person's life to start weight training or any physical activity that betters his or her health. Even if you were 60 it wouldn't be too late.

I was talking to a guy the other night while doing cardio. He pointed out a woman who HAS to be in her 60's, workingout with her husband.

they are both very impressive, but she in particular... a phenominal physique, for any age.

They train just as hard as anyone else in the gym. And it is obviously paying off.

And they are enjoying each other's company while they do it.

This is long term. Your goals may change, your abilities, too. But the iron will result in a better quality of life.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I'D say the prime age for strenght trainin is between 26-33.I always like to check out some fitness babes before i lift to get myself motivated.

Ecoli die
    Prime age for lifting and training is now. Whatever now is.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    to add on what Tiare said, prime age to start is however old you are now, minue one year! Prime age overall would be whatever age you get completely serious and put the money time and effort into it! Thats when you'll notice the real difference, and tehrefore, thats the prime age as far as I'm concerned!
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Ditto on what Tiarre said. It's never too late to start. Judge your porgress not how you compare to others (and yeah, I know, easier said than done). I'm 30 and started lifting 1 month after I turned 30. Although I regret not starting sooner, I'm glad I did, and that's all that matters. Optimal shmoptimal. Just go out, lift and have fun with it.
    Last edited by ectx; 01-11-2003 at 02:23 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I'm with ec on this one, starte lifting almost a year ago, I was 29 then, and I feel better than ever. Maybe if I would have started at a younger age I would have a better physique and be stronger NOW, but I don't there is such thing as starting too late. Just keep progressing and enjoying it and it will be all good. And congrats on being clean, bro.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

HBK, you deserve a big congrats on cleaning up! I had a terrible lifestyle until about a year ago. Not coke mind you but I was drinking WAY too much and not doing much of anything else. About a year ago (actually ten months ago) I started eating right and training and I have to say I'm stronger and feel better about myself than I ever have. I just turned 33 and am in better shape than I was when I was 20 so don't worry about "what age is optimal" just keep doing what your doing and keep setting goals.

Wannabebig Member
    The coke was very destructive to my training.It will supress your appetite and also destroys muscle tissue when you are using it.What really inspired me to get back in the gym was going to the arnold fitness expo here in columbus.I got to meet Kurt angle,cory everson and abunch of others.Being around these kind of people really influenced me to start lifting again.Since then my bench has increased from 275 to 390-405.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    wow man, congrats on cleaning up too!
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Originally posted by HBK
    Since then my bench has increased from 275 to 390-405.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Originally posted by chris mason
    Oh, and you're the same guy who asked about partying and muscle growth. I don't think smoking pot is a great idea as it is considered a "gateway" drug. Hanging around potheads will eventually expose you to cocaine again, potentially leading to problems.
    The statement that pot is a gateway drug is a myth. The same logic could be applied to alcohol, or any substance which may be abused. There is nothing wrong at all with pot, as long as it is in moderation.