The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Woodworking and Building Stuff

Ok, wondering if any of you guys have any advice or good web resources, on stuff like woodworking, project plans etc.

I'm gonna try and build some of the stuff for my house once I get in there, and maybe some smaller things along the way. A friend of the family is a carpenter/handyman, so he's going to help but probably just for a weekend, to aid me building my platform bed, and maybe also to put down some flooring.

I also want to build a cabinet for a tv. Probably a couple small tables, a closet organizer, and other "knick knacks." The small tables I may just make really basic and rough, and cover it all with fabric or something, but it's the TV Armoire/Cabinet that has me a bit worried. Is this a big project, or anyone have plans or advice? I've seen some pics of ones that are pretty plain and simple, just a box basically, with some special hinged doors and some shelving. I'll probably have everything pretty modern/contemporary upstairs, so it doesn't need any detail work, or special materials, as it will either be super dark stain or paint anyway.

Well, any pointers on material, tools, web resources, or project plans for cool house stuff would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keep it simple. Start with small, easy stuff and work your way up. Start off with inexpensive wood and buy more than you'll need because you will screw up. Only buy tools you'll use over and over again. Measure twice, cut once. Always test the paint or stain on a scrap piece of the same wood you are using BEFORE painting/staining the real thing. I could go on and on (especially regarding WW tools).

Free woodworking plans:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/d...ks/Plans_Free/

Good WW forum and tips:

http://www.woodnet.net/

Another good WW forum:

http://www.wwforum.com/index.asp
    Last edited by TMan; 01-10-2003 at 11:15 AM.
    "Load the bar, do the set, forget about it until the next workout. It's not rocket surgery."
    - Dan Martin

"Pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."
    - Henry Rollins

I am more of rough carpenter. I would like to someday build somethng nice. The tv cabinet/entertainment center is a bit ambitous. I would try something smaller first. Though you might be better then me. I want to get a table saw. I was cutting plywood last night and I can't cut on the line to save my soul. I bought a miter saw. Now a get perfect 90s, its easier then a speed square. Though I've seen alot a guys cut just fine without one. What tools do you have? Radial saw, miter saw, table saw, cordless, drill index are good to have. Some type of hand sander too. Sawzalls are great but not really for building caninets.
    For general use sawzall, 1/2 drill, radial saw amd cordless are great to have. If you r gonna be a homeowner and start doing projects get them.

I meant circular saw not radial
    Last edited by Berserker; 01-10-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks for the responses. I live in a condo right now, so I don't have any big saw tools, or at least don't think I do. We have one of those big red tool drawer things filled with tools, but I think the only power tools are a drill and sander.

I didn't think the cabinet would be that big of a deal. It's basically just building a box isn't it? Basically picture a tall rectangle with doors that open, and that's about it other than some shelving. I guess on that scale it could get tough, but considering it costs like $1000 minimum to get one I'd rather try building it. I might look into a table saw, but don't wanna spend big bucks, so I might be able to borrow one, or have the wood pre-cut I guess.

I'll take a look at some of the links, and maybe figure out what tools i'll need. I won't really be able to start anything major until I'm moved in, but maybe I can do some small projects now, to get em outta the way.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The tv cabinet might not be to bad. Wood is cheap. As long as it useable. The best all around saw is probably a circularl saw, cheapest too. I think my biggest probablem when cutting is I need a better set up. I been using a chest freezer in the basement. Actually not that bad. Cordless are great to have. I like my dewalt. Other powertools are milwaukee, but there lots of good stuff out there. Your not gonna need to be able to cut the wood, precut isn't real feasible. Some small drill bits so don;t crack the wood be good to.
    Last edited by Berserker; 01-10-2003 at 11:33 AM.

I just saw some plans for one, and the tools needed aren't too bad. It says to use a circular saw, with a self-clamping straight edge. Maybe this is the poormans way of getting a perfectly straight edge with a circular?

Here's a link to part of the plans, second last pic is I think the clamp they use.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/html/2_21a_how1.html

Current FFFA Enforcer

El-give it a shot. It takes practice, though tool do become a factor $. But wood is relatively cheap. I did some staining this fall never did it before. Couldn't beleive how good it looked and how easy. If nothing else buld a box with legs throw some stain on it and it won't be to bad. If your married it could get complicated. I am not putting that....

Actually, a friend just showed me a decent table saw for a good price, so I will probably get one when the time comes. No I'm not married, so I'm da boss.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Good idea starting with a circular saw. That's how I started out in woodworking - with just a circular saw and a drill and some hand tools. But if you get into woodworking a table saw should be your first big purchase. My table saw is indispensable. And don't get a tabletop table saw (they're junk). Get a freestanding contractors table saw.

The plan looks simple although I think you should practice with some smaller projects first. This piece will be a focal point of the room so you want to make sure you do it right and it looks nice.
    Last edited by TMan; 01-10-2003 at 12:23 PM.
    "Load the bar, do the set, forget about it until the next workout. It's not rocket surgery."
    - Dan Martin

"Pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."
    - Henry Rollins

My next big purchase will be a table saw.