The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

Gourmet Recipes Thread

Well, I knew "Pupsicle" liked to cook, but I didn't know there were so many other guys who liked to cook until reading a post by IceRGrrl recently about ElPietro's new kitchen. Figuring there are also likely a lot of the gals here who like to cook, I thought, why not start a gourmet recipe thread?

As always you can post anything you like here, ahem, HOWEVER, just in case any of you would actually like to stick to the thread topic (what a radical concept!), here's my thoughts for this thread.

This is for gourmet recipes. Gourmet means made from scratch primarily. Shortcuts are fine, e.g. I use anchovy paste instead of anchovie fillets in my first post below-that was a chef tip, but for the most part it means made from scratch. These do not have to be "difficult" recipes. They can be, but that is not a requirement. Many quite simple things are considered gourmet. Think of something you'd like to order in a fancy restaurant or something you'd like to cook to impress your "significant other".

This is NOT for bodybuilder cut recipes! These can be "healthy", but it is not a "health food" or "cut recipe" thread. Example: I don't want 101 ways to broil your chicken breasts while cutting. There's plenty of that in other forums or threads. Example of a "good" healthy tip would be, "I used to sautee these in butter alone, but now I use half butter and half olive oil. I still get a little of the taste of butter, but half the saturated fat." These are recipes you'd like to eat on a cheat day. They are not for the hard core health food freaks. Warning to food nazis. . .STAY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD, YOU WON'T LIKE IT HERE! This is for real food.

With that, let's start the collection! I'll start off with a very simple, but very easy way to impress the ladies, gents. Even if you don't "cook" you can make this. It will WOW 'em. See next post.

John Collins
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Craig's Caesar Salad

Guys, even if you don't cook, if you want to impress your GF/wife/mistress, this is it. It's easy to make (practice alone first) and always wows 'em. Every time I serve this someone asks for the recipe. Never fails.

Credit: This was taken from a page on the www.clubcorp.com website and was the recipe for the maître d' at one of their business clubs. His name was Craig.

I give ingredients for either 8 or 4 for a dinner salad. You can make it a meal salad by adding jumbo shrimp, grilled chicken or steak to this, and it would make dinner for 4 or 2 then. I'll list two numbers for the ingredients like this # (#) and the (#) is what you'd use for the smaller portions (4 dinner or 2 meal salads). Prep instructions are the same.

Ingredients:
    2 (1) large head(s) romaine lettuce
    8 (4) healthy grinds of fresh black pepper
    1/2 (1/4) teaspoon seasoned salt
    2 (1) large clove garlic, very finely minced
    4 (2) anchovy fillets
    1/4 (1/8) teaspoon dried mustard or prepared dijon mustard
    4 (2) drops worcestershire sauce
    1/2 (1/4) cup extra virgin olive oil (use the good stuff folks!)
    4 (2) tablespoons red wine vinegar
    juice of 1/2 (1/4) lemon
    2 (1) coddled egg yolks
    1/2 (1/4) cup parmesan cheese

Craig's croutons

These can be made ahead of time, but they really add something if they're fresh. Make them earlier that day or the day before at the earliest.

Day-old french bread cubed. Fresh is too hard to cube easily, but if you have fresh, slice it into 1/2 inch slices and let it air for a few hours, then it will cube easier. Pour some olive oil in a large bowl and dump bread cubes in all at once and quickly toss them with your hands to coat with oil. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Immediatlely sprinkle and toss with parmesan cheese (not the cheese listed in the ingredients--that's for the dressing). Set aside.

Instructions
    Wash and tear lettuce into bite sized pieces.

First, coddle the eggs. To do that boil water, then put a raw egg in it and stir for one minute. Take egg out and separate yolk and put in small bowl. It will be only slightly warm.

In large salad bowl, put pepper, seasoned salt, garlic and anchovy fillets (or use anchovy paste, it's easier), mustard and worcestershire sauce in bowl and mix thoroughly, mashing garlic and anchovies with fork.

Mix in the olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice and stir well with the fork.

Mix in the coddled egg yolk and stir well with the fork.

Mix in the parmesan cheese and stir well with the fork.

Add lettuce and croutons and toss well. Serve. Grind more pepper on top, if desired.
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 01-11-2003 at 12:23 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

sounds good. gonna try it
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace...
    Thomas Paine

If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

Now to continue with the ElPietro Journal menu. . .

Sweet and Sour Fig-Roasted Loin of Pork

Credit: Courtesy of Chef Rocco DiSpirito, Union Pacific restaurant. Copyright 2002, Chef Rocco DiSpirito.

Ingredients

3 pints very ripe black mission figs
    1/4 cup honey
    2/3 cup red wine vinegar
    3/4 cup water
    1 tsp. ground star anise
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    One center-cut loin of pork, approximately 4 1/2 lbs, fat scored in a criss-cross pattern
    salt and pepper
    2 Tbsp. corn oil

Directions

1. In a blender, combine 1 cup figs with the honey, vinegar, water, and spices. Blend until somewhat smooth, but small pieces of figs still exist. Set aside.

2. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees.

3. Tie the roast off with butcher's twine approximately 1 inch apart. Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper.

4. Heat a roasting pan over medium high heat and add the corn oil. Brown the roast on all sides in the pan, then transfer to the oven.

5. Cook for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and spread the fig puree over the top of the loin.

6. Add the remaining 2 pints of figs to the pan as well. Return to the oven and cook 15 to 30 minutes longer (the internal temperature should be 160 degrees). Remove from the oven and let the pork rest for five minutes.

7. Cut off the butcher's twine and serve sliced with the roasted figs and pan juices.

Serves 6-8

Great, just what I needed, now I'm hungry

Thanks for the recipes, man, I'll have to give them a try one of these weekends when the missus is not the mood for cooking
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Potatoes Anna

This is rich, but a real potato classic! If you must, split the butter with extra virgin olive oil to lower the saturated fats. I don't bother . Remember, this is cheat day!

Ingredients

4 Tablespoons butter
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (I use a mandoline with the thicker blade)

Instructions

Melt butter, salt, and pepper over low heat.

Arrange the potato slices in a buttered 8 or 9 inch pie plate or cake pan, overlapping them slightly, and brushing each layer lightly with the butter. When all arranged, pour the butter mixture over the potatoes and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake at 425F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender and browned on top.

Allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes and turn onto serving platter. slice and serve in wedges like pie. Serves 4.
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 01-11-2003 at 05:26 PM.

You can all figure out a vegetable to serve with this. A pinot noir would be a perfect wine for this menu, or maybe a beaujolais nouveau. A good red, but nothing to big and brassy.

Are there any other chefs out there? I sense I'm talking to myself. I'll post my wife's tiramisu recipe for desert, if anyone is interested.

JPC

Please do, JC!
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace...
    Thomas Paine

If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

OK. I'll collect it from her and post it in a few days. She got it from an Italian when we lived in Europe, so it is pretty "authentic". Not that changing things is bad, creativity is good, but I can't eat anyone else's tiramisu but my wife's! Stay tuned.

No other chefs out there want to post?

My fave to cook is veal parmigiana. Not sure what the numbers look like, but here goes;
    Ingredients:
    Veal scalopini
    Canned Italian tomatoes
    3-4 cloves garlic
    2 lemons
    Italian seasoning
    Eggs
    Flour
    Bread crumbs
    Mozzerella cheese

Marinate the veal in crushed garlic and lemon juice for several hours. Bread veal by coating in flour,egg wash, then dredge in bread crumbs (I season my bread crumbs with Italian seasoning).Heat pan with olive oil and fry veal until golden brown, remove and set aside.

In a separate pot 1 tbs olive oil, fry garlic (one clove crushed), add tomatoes and season with Italian seasoning, pepper. Let simmer for 1/2 hour. Once sauce is ready drizzle sauce over veal and top with shredded mozzerella, place in 350 oven until cheese is melted. Serve with pasta and remaning sauce. Mmm mmm good!

Here's an easy blender Hollandaise sauce that's great for anyone on a ketogenic diet right now...

2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    5 tablespoons butter (melted)
    salt and pepper to taste

Add egg yolks, lemon juice and s&p to blender and pulse until fully emulsified.

slowly pour in melted butter (in a thin stream) while at a low blend setting.

mix at "high" setting for 30 seconds until slightly whipped.

Serve on fish, chicken....acts as a great base for other sauce ingredients such as onions, various herbs etc.

Enjoy!
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!

I forgot to mention that chicks dig gourmet cooking.
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!