Thread: Stan McQuay

Hybrid View

Stan McQuay

I just got done reading an article on Stan in the most current issue of Musclemag. As I was reading, I was struck with a few thoughts. Most notable among these is that I think he may be this generation's Mike Ashley. In other words, a guy who claims to be all natural, and who is, simultaneously, a highly competitive bodybuilder at a high level (in untested shows). Mike Ashley even won the Arnold Classic. I always felt there is no way that a guy who is clean is going to defeat the walking pharmacies. If that were the case, the efficacy of steroids and other drugs would certainly fall into question. I do know that steroids work very well, thus making it implausible to me that a clean guy is going to smoke a doped guy in a physique competition (assuming they are both high level competitors).

Stan is 5'7" tall per the article I mentioned. Now, if I am not mistaken, I believe Stan just took the middleweight class at last year's USA championships (a national level show). That would mean that literally every athlete he defeated was using drugs. I just don't buy it. He claims to not be as big as the other athletes, yet 5'7" is not particularly tall for the middleweight class. You have to remember that when these guys are actually onstage, they are usually 5-15 lbs heavier than their weigh in.

In the same article, he stated that he plans to compete in the 03 Nationals at 185 lbs, as a light heavyweight! Now, I don't care how good his genetics are, you are not going to convince me that a 5'7" guy is going to get as shredded as it takes to compete at the national level, and still weigh 185 lbs. That is almost as ridiculous as the contention that Flex Wheeler was natural for the 02 Olympia.

Yes, Flex and his sponsor, Ultimate Nutrition, claim that he was natural for the 02 Olympia. Bullsh!T! Here is where it gets interesting. I can believe that he tested clean for the show. I can believe that he used a drug that quickly clears out of the system, and that he ceased use with enough time to spare in order to test clean. You see, I know something about Flex many of you don't. I saw Flex compete as a light heavyweight about 10 years ago at the North American Championships. Flex was using drugs then, just as he does now. Guys don't add 20lbs of lean muscle to an already drug induced physique, naturally. It just doesn't work that way. Better yet, guys don't get close to their best drug induced state, naturally. In other words, Flex competed in the Olympia in a condition that was very near to his best ever. His size was there for the most part. His legs were down a tad, and he was a bit smoother overall, but he was darn close to top form. The kind of close you would have if you got into top drug induced form, then backed off of the drugs in time to test clean. His condition reminded me of some of the athletes the year that the IFBB decided to drug test the Olympia. Most still looked quite good, just a bit smaller and smoother.

This is the whole joke of the industry. Guys who run around b.s.ing the public. It is sad. It is the product of stupid laws, and even stupider egos. It is also the product of greed.

I agree with you Chris. I do believe there are periods where Stan does not use drugs as he looks very small in certain pics in comparison to others during the same season. Actually, it's quite noticeable.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

beercan
    He's just as clean as Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

I must say, I am surprised this topic doesn't stir up some more interest on a bodybuilding site...

Well, I'd just say I'm not surprised. I never really thought he WAS natural. Insulin/gh at the very least, which might be responsible alone for the 'bloated' size he gets in the offseason (along with dbol).
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Another thing, I don't know if any of your read his interview in Muscular Development. But there's a lot about his life and how he used to run with a gang and such. Even how he went to jail for shooting someone.

Now, he gives his word that he's clean when they ask him about it. But who in the hell is going to take someones word on drug usage, when that person has shot people, stabbed people, and been all around involved in masses of illegal activity??

Just a thought.
    Last edited by BigChaseyChase; 01-12-2003 at 04:35 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.