The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New here and 15 years since I worked out

Hello all, I am new here and will have a few questions, but a little about me.

I finally have decided to get my life back in order and get back in shape and get healthy again. I have let myself go for quite a long time. I am 34 and have realized I abhor the way I look and feel

I am 6'1", 250lbs and have set myself a goal of getting back to 190lbs.

I have started myself on a strict diet of about 1200-1500 calories a day and have been doing about 30mins of cardio each day for the past 2 weeks. I have started seeing results and have dropped about 7-8 lbs already. This is quite a change for me considering I sit in cubicle all day long and would usually eat pancakes, bacon and eggs for breakfast, Burger King for lunch and pizza for dinner and drink a case of beer every weekend. needless to say I have cut all of that out.

I am wanting to add weight training into my routine and came across the WBB routine, which looks like a good place to start.

My big concern is the leg training portion, I have absolutely horrible knees and any sort of squatting or leg curl like exercises cause my knees to horribly grind and pop.

I was wondering if there are any other exercises that might be suitable for someone with knee problems?

Also should I wait to start my weight training while I am working on the weight loss portion, due to my diet and low caloric intake?

Thanks for any input

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would up the cals up to about 2k a day at your size. The initial weight loss is great but your body will go to starvation mode very quickly in such a deficit. Oh and I would drop the cardio start on WBB1 and maybe throw in some HIIT style cardio 2-3 times a week. Trust me you will be much happier with your results.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    I would up the cals up to about 2k a day at your size. The initial weight loss is great but your body will go to starvation mode very quickly in such a deficit. Oh and I would drop the cardio start on WBB1 and maybe throw in some HIIT style cardio 2-3 times a week. Trust me you will be much happier with your results.
    What is HIIT cardio?

5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292[/url] a great read by Built.
    Looks good but unfortunately with my bad knees about the only thing my knees can handle is the elliptical. Any sort of high impact like running or biking kills them.

You can still do interval training on the elliptical.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    You can still do interval training on the elliptical.
    Oh I believe I may be doing that already I am using some of the different settings on the machines that change the resistance and incline during my 30 min workout. I dont just do the whole time at one setting

What you are doing is probably what the beautiful lady describes as Hill Training.

HIIT is about INTENSITY. Heres what you can do on an elliptical:

Warmup for say 3 minutes at incline 6 or something with resistance at 4.
    Start your sets by making the incline flat and upping the resistance to say 6-8. Sprint for 20-30 secs at an all out effort, then do active recovery for 40-60 seconds. The shorter sprints you do (20 secs), the shorter the rest should be (40 secs) and the more reps (1 sprint +1 active recovery = 1 set) you should be able to do.
    Last edited by Mr. D; 03-21-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Stronglikebull or full of?
    Griff-I am 45 years old. I had both my knee's MRIed. The doctor says I need them both scoped. They grind like you can't believe. I have found that when I lift yes I feel pain afterwards but I can still squat not just as heavy as I use to. I think the workout actually does them good. After working them and building the muscle and lubricating them as exercise does, I may feel short term pain but I think it's beneficial in the long run. JMHO
    "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Vince Lombardi

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=BigOldDad