The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A Special thanks to WBB and the members.

A Special thanks to WBB and the members.

Yes, it's hard to believe that it was just one year ago that I joined this site. Prior to this site, I had spent a little bit of time lurking at some other sites. I might have occasionally posted but never got involved. As with most things, I tend to wait to see how things develop and learn the lay of the land. Forums were new to me and everyone on the site looked to be alot more advanced then I, so for me it was a matter of checking out the training, the journals, supplements sections. Hell, my first post didn't come until Feb, 2 weeks later. This was the my very first post, which I can laugh at now since I don't use PF stuff anymore.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I just got to have my Protein Factory Post Workout Formula. I love the taste now - it was acquired. Mornings it's anything cheap and I can down quickly - thus for me not very thick. Just before bedtime it's something else again with some slow digestable proteins.
    As I continued to post occasionally, offering my humble opinions or asking a few questions here or there, MonStar (formerly know as MonStar1026) suggested that I start a journal. So March 1st with the journal in hand, I can say that I really started to make some WBB progress. It also happend to match up with the fact that March was the begining of my second year of training. Yes, compared to some here, I am rookie with less then two years under my belt.

As for that WBB progress, I've now done one bulking cycle and two cutting cycles. I have been a lot more successful with my cutting and bulking this year compared to last year. I owe that to the information that I've gained here and various people that have helped shaped my routines or offered comments on my diet. In terms of what people here have accomplished in bulking or losing weight, mine is minor. But, I remind myself frequently that I measure my progress as it compares to where I was last year or the year before and how I feel. The people here offer lots of encouragement and for that I am most thankful. No matter how you may perceive my progress, those words mean a lot and keep me coming back to this site day in and out. I love to lift and I love the changes that have occurred, however, they would seem to mean less if there was no positive feedback.

On the exercise front, I've done the WBB #1, #2 and 3 cycles of HST. There was likely something else thrown in there as well. Some of my weights have definitely progressed dispite the 9 months of cutting vs the 3 months of bulking. Size-wise, I am bigger in most measurements, not big since 160lbs with just under 14" arms can hardly be considered big, but bigger then when I started. Also, as I learned here, my arms are bigger then the average Joe-on-the-street, it's just that the average Joe-on-the-street doesn't post here.

On the personal front, I have made some new friends on the site. Some through the day-to-day posting in the gossip forum, some through the journals and others via chat. People come and go as people do in life, but some have continue to engage in conversation as the year rolled over. That was unexpected when I first joined. I find it is always difficult to tell what kind of impression one is making here and I have definitely done my share of mistakes. But people do get to know you and your querks as you go along. So it also never occured to me that I would actually meet some of the people here, after all who knows what psychos lurk on the internet. Even I could be one of them. But even that turned out great even with the necessary precautions. BTW, something else I learned this year was that taking pictures at the gym is not lame when the WBBers are in town.

So now with about 1800 posts, which is an average of 5 per day under my belt, I really am looking forward to the upcoming year. I have some new goals and some new expected progress for this year as well as some learning to do. And I expect if the winds are right, I will also find some people to meet this year. I could list individuals who have made an impact but I'm sure that would only leave somebody out and that just isn't my style, besides you likely know who you are.

So thanks to the WBBers!

p.s. Some like long posts, others don't so that's just too ****ing bad if your in the short camp.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Awesome to hear about your progress! The people here are some of the best you'll ever find. They can make quite an impact on a person.

Glad to hear all is going according to plan for ya. Keep up the good work and spread the knowledge you've gained.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Back at it
    Sure, many of the WBB folks have leant a hand of knowledge and somebody to lean on for support, but the thing I love about this hobby/sport (depending on your goals) is that the progess a person makes is all in the individual. You. Yourself. Nobody else.

In basketball it takes a team effort to move from 3rd in the division to first. You might have seen a decline in production since the previous year, yet the team as a whole is getting better.

In bodybuilding no matter how educated or experienced somebody is, it all means nothing without the dedication and drive that somebody like yourself has achieved. You only make progress when you are on the ball... there is no team to help with the physical aspect of victory.

I'm by no means saying you're compliments are worthless because I share the same feelings about this board. But also realize you wouldn't be where you're at if it wern't for your own hard work.

THAT is why I bodybuild. It's something that you work on 24 hours a day whether it be in diet, training, or rest. The progression in the weight room is from your own sweat and blood, fueled by your desire to set goals and strive for them. The end result is not to grab attention, but to have as strong of a self esteem as muscles.

So, :alcoholic cheers to your hard work and the WBB board as a community, and keep progressing.

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    Ditto. I haven't been as disciplined as you have, but I feel largely the same way! Great place, WBB!
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Happy One Year Anniversary, rookie! Hopefully I won't get banned before I see number two!

Great post Rookie! I feel the same way about this board. Best of luck on your next year!

i'm on the short bus, but i skimmed it and umm...your welcome.

actually seriously, great work for even sticking with things for a year, you've gone one better than a lot fo people.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    i'm on the short bus, but i skimmed it and umm...your welcome.

Pfft, like you help anyone.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

and there's the rub.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

This thread should win an emmy. :tear comes to eye smiley:

Oh and I thought I'd mention that I think you will go far with your lifting Rookie. You have a very good attitude and an open mind. You're willing to try new things to see what works best for you and aren't too worried about the actual poundage on the bar, so long as it progresses. That's probably the best thing you could have taken from this site, and I'm sure we'll see you passing some people on the board in strength in 2003. At least get yourself up past Icer!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Great to have you here rookie!

You might want to change your name as I dont think youre really a rookie anymore..

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Happy anniversary rookie I agree...you're not a rookie anymore! Anyways, nice recap of your last year, your progress, and your goals. You have a great attitude and are making steady gains.

I'm glad you took the chance and met up with us earlier this month...it was great to meet the person behind the screenname and "talk shop" with other like-minded individuals. I know it's hard to explain to people that you can make friends on the internet, but just tell 'em not to knock it 'till they've tried it This place is great for motivation, humor, and good conversation (believe it or not!).

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Great post rookie, glad to see people on here prgoressing and grateful for the help they recieve here. Keep up the great work!!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

this is why WBB is above all other forums!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

great post!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

great post!

I dunno where I would be without knowing everyone here.

Even the ones that do cause trouble

*looks at galileo
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I tried to reply to this post earlier, but somehow got knocked off before completing it. Just a few responses to some of the above posts for now.

GIS - Nice additions. It is my effort and mine alone that will determine my progress. I knew after I had slugged out the first 3 months that I would continue. This site has just made it more enjoyable.

Galileo - You better not get banned!!!!

Tryska -

ElPietro - Yes, that was humiliating lifting with IceRgrrl, but I sucked it up anyway and at least I lifted more then then the pink DBs

MonStar - Nope, I will always be learning new things and I have no desire to change that.

IceRgrrl - None of my friends seem to want to "talk shop" let alone agree with why my the protein requirements are so high.

Hulk - Great site you lead here.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

bone crusher
    congrats bro...
    remember when i was rambling on about my two year anniversary for joining WBB was coming around...

THat was a big point in my life, because i had been training for about 9 months but that began the time when i actually started to understand why to train a particular way, or why to eat that food versus some other food...
    The day i joined the site was the day i began to train intelligently!

bone crusher
    my first post...

Hey everyone, I saw a lot of familiar names from mm.com, its great to see another b-board has started that has great poeple running it with all the knowledgable people (great job Hulk!) posting. I've learned a lot from mm.com but its time has passed. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here!

Yes, I remember that very well, dude. My short term memory hasn't been too bad lately. Glad to see that all that partying didn't dull your memory of the weekend either. I was surprised at the time that you hadn't been training a lot longer and learning the history of how this site started was definitely interesting.

I had mentioned to our little "meet" group as well that I was going to post something today on my anniversary. There was a lot more to say, but I cut it somewhat short since even here there is a limit to the amount of drivel people will read before getting bored. But I'll add in the following; when asked about any question, DEADLIFT is always a good answer, not necessarily the right answer, but always, always a good answer. Squat and bench press are not too far behind.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    But I'll add in the following; when asked about any question, DEADLIFT is always a good answer, not necessarily the right answer, but always, always a good answer. Squat and bench press are not too far behind.
    I found that out VERY soon and can honestly say It's a love/hate relationship. I dread doing them but can't wait to see how much (or how little) I can do each week.