Thread: Dull Aching Pain in Upper Arm: How to fix it?

Dull Aching Pain in Upper Arm: How to fix it?

I started going pretty heavy late last year on flat bench. My goal was 405 by the end of the year.

There is no specific lifting incident which I can remember hurting myself. I was up to 365 max and was doing reps with 275.

My upper arm/lower shoulder has since then been aching a lot, especially when I'm on the computer mouse for extended periods of time.

As far as work-outs go if I try to go real heavy say 315+ it really starts to hurt during the exercise.

I've done some simple research and it sounds like I may have some sort of rotator cuff issue as it sometimes manifests itself in an upper arm aching. I even broke down and went to the good old M.D. and he seems to think it's just tendanitus as I still have the strength and full range of motion for the arm.

Well, I'm pretty sick of the aching and I'm ready to start gearing back to some heavy weights. The anti-inflammatory drugs seem to help a little.

Anyone had similiar circumstances and any success in nursing this puppy back to full speed?? Also on a side-note if I try and do dumbell flys it hurts like the Dickens.

Upper arm is a pretty broad area. Where on the upper arm does it hurt- at the shoulder, near the elbow, front/side/back? What movements make it hurt worse- like flexion/extension, abduction/adduction, etc? Here's a link if you need some reference for the movements: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Articulations.html

I'd have to say the most specific pain causing excercise is transverse adduction although only when using weight. The range of motion does not hurt.

Specifically the pain manifests in the superior distal part of my humerus and "feels" superficial.

This sounds like it could be an impingement syndrome, or it could be bicipital tendonitis. Some of the heavy benchers may have a better idea. I'm going to move this over to Training, where you'll probably get more answers than here.

Does it hurt all the time? Certain part of bench. This is by no means good advice or the right thing to do. Last year I was doing lots of low reps and it started to hurt at the bottom of the bench, bar on chest, not ache but hurt. Laid of for awhile. Then did my tri and delt exercises before bench. That way I was using less weight in my bench, less weight on the joint. Did this for 2-3 months. Now better then ever. Can't say this is why, just what I did. Not recommending it either, food for thought.

Also don't go less then 5 rep range now.
    Last edited by Berserker; 01-17-2003 at 11:57 PM.