The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sleep

Hybrid View

Sleep

ok i just got a question on this or 2

ok so 8-10 hrs of a sleep nite is optimal...but supposing one sleeps 7 hrs a nite on weekdays, thas good enough right? what is the least amuont of sleep until it starts eatin way or is negative towards u? also does it mean 8 hrs straight sleep, or suppose one sleeps 7 hrs at nite, but takes an hr nap? does the body grow on the total combined hrs, or the deeper u sleep, the more ur body grows?
    maybe i'll try to rewrite it if no one understands wat i'm gettin at
    Skillz
    Last edited by Skillz; 01-19-2003 at 08:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My lecturer on the function of human sleep has down a lot of research and suggested that you can train your body to need less sleep. But this must be a gradual process, i.e. reduce the amount by minutes per week over a period of weeks. The vital part of sleep, in term of training, is stage 4 sleep. This occurs predominantly during the fisrt 3 cycles of sleep with the first cycle having the most stage 4 sleep and the following cycles being made up of a decreasing duration of stage four sleep. After about 5 hours of sleep the amount of stage 4 sleep becomes negligable (it is replaced with paradoxical or REM sleep). Therefore, it is probably more beneficial to have 7 hours of sleep and then a nap later in the day as the total amount of stage 4 would not decrease and in fact you may then increase the amount of stage 4 sleep in total for any 24 hour period.

In terms of total hours of sleep you can in fact put sleep in the 'bank' so to speak i.e. if you know you will not get enough sleep on one particualr night then you can sleep more the preceding night to make up for it, and vice versa. Although I do not know fully how much of an impact this has on the recuperation effects of sleep after training. It has also been shown that lack of sleep can have a dramatic effect on the bodies ability to use glycogen stores.

My hypothesis for the most efficient way to sleep with regards to the recuperation process is to take 4 or 5 naps lasting about 1-1.5 hours in any 24 hour period. However, as I will probably never get the chance to test this hypothesis empirically then remember it remaind just that. I would be interested however, if there are any (insane) members willing to undergo such an experiment.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

i somewhat understand what you said lol, but thanks for the info no doubt....and i dont think i would be able to undergo the experiment

but neone else hav nemore insight to drop on my questions?
    Skillz

I average 4-5 hours of sleep each night and I function just fine. I cant say how this would affect your overall health and well being, but I just know I am doing it.

Thats probably why u are NotSoBig
    hehehe just kiddin with ya!