The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bench Decrease

Bench Decrease

Ok here it is. I was doing really good on bench, I could pump out 225 x5,6 and hit 270 on my 1RM. Now I'm at 225 x3(maybe 4) and really really had to struggle with my 1RM at 265. What's going on! This has happened in about the span of 2 months. I train regularly, but soccer has since started and caused me to have to do extreme cardio everyday. Will I just have to tuff it out until it's over or what? I can't stand this, I feel weak now. On top of this my left wrist seriously hurts. I know I'm holding the weight right, it just doesn't seem to go away. I'm going to keep working through the pain, I've stopped before to let it heal, but with no avail. What's my problem?!
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Could be the increased activity, could be overtraining, could be lots of things.

Let your wrist heal.

You might want to switch to dumbells for a while.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Ecoli die
    I would look at your diet. Did your caloric intake decrease as
    compared to your caloric output?
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

I'm with Paul. Change up the routine a little. Go with dumbbells for awhile. And, personally, I think benchpress is the most dependent on what kind of mentality you bring to the table. It's probably the most well recognized strength movement, and a lot of people judge his or her gains based on the progress of his or bench marks. That just makes it that much harder in my opinion. That first day that you didn't hit the same amount of reps, it got in your head that something was wrong. Now, everytime you get under the bar, you're doubting yourself. Just eat a bunch and go in there knowing that you can do it.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Don't change anything, except to maybe lower your overall volume. Think about it for a second. Calories are energy. With excess calories you'll have more energy. With less calories you'll have less energy. You're doing soccer right now. So without a doubt you're getting to the gym with a significantly less amount of energy (calories) and hence you don't have the same amount of energy and thus can't generate the same amount of force. Lower your overall volume with the weights for the time being and just be patient for soccer to end.

Diet could be a problem- up your protein ALOT! try to shock your pecs now with a big change in routine. That happens to me all the time and it tells me that I need a change.
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

Re: Bench Decrease

Originally posted by Big o Boy
    Ok here it is. I was doing really good on bench, I could pump out 225 x5,6 and hit 270 on my 1RM. Now I'm at 225 x3(maybe 4) and really really had to struggle with my 1RM at 265. What's going on! This has happened in about the span of 2 months. I train regularly, but soccer has since started and caused me to have to do extreme cardio everyday. Will I just have to tuff it out until it's over or what? I can't stand this, I feel weak now. On top of this my left wrist seriously hurts. I know I'm holding the weight right, it just doesn't seem to go away. I'm going to keep working through the pain, I've stopped before to let it heal, but with no avail. What's my problem?!
    Drope the volume down. Dont kill yourself during the workouts. Your inseason, your focus should be on what sport you are doing not the weightroom. Its going to be hard to increase your #'s during the season with all the activities you do. Just try and eat more and lighten up on the lifts maybe even take some time off from the weightroom to give you body some time to rest up and recuperate.

Kc

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    up your protein ALOT!
    Explain please why upping protein intake would be important than decreasing the volume of the workout? For that matter, why is protein intake more important than any other caloric intake?

Wannabebig Member
    Loook to Jesus Christ to increase your bench press...

Cut this crap. Consider this strike one against yourself.
    Last edited by chris mason; 01-19-2003 at 01:57 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    If you are interested in a bench routine to increase strength, e-mail me:

bigbosstrom@hotmail.com

Re: Re: Bench Decrease

Originally posted by FortifiedIron

Drope the volume down. Dont kill yourself during the workouts. Your inseason, your focus should be on what sport you are doing not the weightroom. Its going to be hard to increase your #'s during the season with all the activities you do. Just try and eat more and lighten up on the lifts maybe even take some time off from the weightroom to give you body some time to rest up and recuperate.

Kc

Wait, there is no such thing as overtraining, the human body can adapt to anything, blah blah blah...

Just kidding, you are absolutely right. Is it any coincidence that he dramatically ups his daily exercise output and he gets a bit weaker? NO.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, And thanks for explaining the calories = energy thing. That seems to add up right. I guess I'll have to tuff it out for awhile. I know that my squats helped my speed TREMENDOUSLY. I feel 100 times faster than I was before, and on top of that I'm blowing everyone on my team away. Thanks.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate