Thread: Training for 2.5 years and little gains?

Hybrid View

Training for 2.5 years and little gains?

I've had a pretty solid routine for a little over 2 years now, and I've only gained about 8-10 lbs. My bench has went up from 150 to 225, but should I have gained more muscle than this? It seems it will never come. Im 21 now and 5'11 150, Id like to be around 170. My diet wasnt great when I started but it has been a lot better this past year. Im probably not eating enough but shouldnt I have gained more than 8lbs in 2 years?
    I just started deadlifting about 2 months ago, and just started squating about a month ago. Could these 2 lifts possibly boost my growth much more this next year?

read the articles on training, stick to the big muscle groups, and eat loads, thats the key to it. If you didn't do squats and deads previously then your routine cant have been great. so you should progress quickly after starting squatting

I have put on 18lbs in quite a short time
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Yer, if your only just getting into squats and deadlifts, you will get alot stronger and put on alot more muscle if you train right and eat loads of good food. Squats RULE for adding mass all over.

Robert

just 10 pounds and your bench went from 150-225..sure

I think its possible. When I started lifting I sucked at bench and made some strides. I went from doing sets at 95 to a 205 single rep with not alot of weight change. Especially if you losing fat and gaining muscle.

I agree with Berserker. When I started out a little over a year ago I could bench 115 for a couple of reps only. My latest 1RM on bench was 210. Ironically, my weight is less than it was when I started but my BF is slightly lower too.
    "Load the bar, do the set, forget about it until the next workout. It's not rocket surgery."
    - Dan Martin

"Pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."
    - Henry Rollins

I think it's possible to gain on bench without going up in bodyweight. It didn't work out that way for me though. As I made the jump from 160 to 250, my bodyweight went up around 15 to 20 pounds. We're all different though.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

I think your training is pretty much good if your bench has increased that much. Just try and eat as much as you can with high doses of protein.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Grasshoppa
    Originally posted by Bigmofo
    Not hard. I added maybe 50 pounds to my bench whilst gaining maybe 4-5 pounds of mass. You can increase strength and gain little weight. There's no magical number that correlates between weight gain and strength gain that I know of.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Eat enough cals to gain weight. (take in more than you use)
    Progress consistantly in the gym.
    Rest enough.

It seems you need to work on eating more.
    Last edited by smalls; 01-21-2003 at 06:05 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

You need Cell-tech stacked with Nitro-Tech for optimum results! Look what it did for Lee Priest!

Seriously though, like others have said, EAT MORE! Also make sure you're taking in 1-1.5g protein per lb of bodyweight.
    Last edited by AstronautJones; 01-21-2003 at 07:53 PM.

You said it yourself, you're not eating enough. You know this, now fix it if you want it bad enough.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by Bigmofo
    Why would I lie? At the most we are talking about 12lbs, I would guess around 10 though. I mean I'm noticably bigger, but I would have figured I would have put on at least 15lbs.

Sorry man but unless you started at 16% bf dropped to 10% and gained 10 pounds of muscel..I dont think its posible..

I think it is very possible.