The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Someday....

My Genetics... Staying lean?

I dont post much here, but i lurk alot... Tryska may or may not remember me. I usually "Update" every once in awhile. My Genetics (Told by my father) are we are always "Big" people. The majority of my family is very large...

Ive come along way on my diet this past year, right about 130 pounds lost on a CKD cutting plan. Im really Really happy with my results... My Chest, arms, neck, legs and such are getting pretty lean... My stomach has shrank dramaticly and waist is down from a 48" to a 36". I will always be a rather big person, with very broad sholders.

My stomach is the last bit of fat i have... its pretty flat, just with alittle fat still covering my abs and alittle around my waist. Ever since i started this diet i have imagined having a 6 pack and im determined to have one...

What im wondering is how much Genetics have to do with this... the fat coming off just as fast as always, although ive thrown a few splurge days in there as well.. Its coming off pretty well. And to be honest ive seen some strength GAINS in the gym even while cutting.. so i must be doing something right.

Questions.

1. Do Genetics affect the amount of fat a person needs?

2. My Genetics are for me to be rather big, will this affect how i maintain my BF% once at my target weight?

3. What bodyfat % does you abs usually start showing through?

4. At what point is it ideal to start bulking? once you down to your target BF%? or alittle above or below?

Heres a few before and after pics...

BEFORE:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BornBig; 01-20-2003 at 11:21 AM.
    Original Weight ~~ 342
    Weight 1/27/02 ~~ 324
    Weight 2/13/02 ~~ 312
    Weight 2/28/02 ~~ 299
    Weight 3/11/02 ~~ 287
    Weight 4/15/02 ~~ 266
    Weight 5/30/02 ~~ 240
    Weight 8/28/02 ~~ 223
    Weight 1/11/03 ~~ 213

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Someday....
    After:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wannabebig Member
    damn! you look different, one question how many week before carbs up did you wait?

Now that is ****ing impressive.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Grasshoppa
    Impressive. That's the nature of a cut, though. The last bit is always the hardest to burn off, especially at the midsection for us guys. You can try taking a break for a week and then coming back, or trying a different diet.

1. Do Genetics affect the amount of fat a person needs?
    - I don't know if I understand what you're asking here. You mean, daily intake of fat in your diet?

2. My Genetics are for me to be rather big, will this affect how i maintain my BF% once at my target weight?
    - Yes and no, IMO. Maintaining your bf% is a function of genetics and dieting together. You may be predisposed to a slower metabolism, if so, then adjust your diet to your specific needs. You also can't neglect weight lifting. The best way to keep an elevated metabolism is more muscle.

3. What bodyfat % does you abs usually start showing through?
    - It's different for everyone. Some people don't show until 8%, some start showing at 11%...so it varies. Kind of depends on how developed your abs already are also.

4. At what point is it ideal to start bulking? once you down to your target BF%? or alittle above or below?
    - Whenever you feel like it. If you'd like to stay lean as you bulk, then go to a bf% you're comfortable with first and then bulk from there. If you don't care, then bulk away.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Back at it
    A large role of genetics has to do with fat distribution.

At 12-14% I still have a little bit of a six pack and my back is very lean. However, my chest and inner lats tend to get a little flab.

It might take considerable dieting to get your six pack to show assuming your stomach tends to be a place where your body tends to store fat. This doesn't mean you can't do it, rather just make sure you stick to your diet and don't get discouraged.

BTW- AMAZING job dude. From the effort it must have taken to drop 130, losing a few more BF% shouldn't be too difficult. Again, way to go!!

FUKEN sweeet job man. nice work - abs are yours in no time
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    congrats dude!! you did a CKD the whole way through??

im planning on the same but starting with a full blown Atkins (im modifying it to me) then when i stop dropping start lifting again, then when progress slows (1-2 maybe 3 months) switch to CKD then stick with it till im good... im currently at 275-280 i want to be in the low 200's and i dont care to be cut but lean and have good shape....

Someday....
    Wow... thanks for the kind words everybody.

Im actually thinking of trying a TKD diet for a few weeks and seeing the results...

Same exact diet except i eat "Smarites" (Dextrose) post workout for some carbs... im think around 25 - 30... Shouldnt throw me out of ketosis (Or atleast for long), and should help improve my strength gains.... Anyone got an opinion on this? Im banking on all the carbs to be used replenishing my muscles anyway... should work... In theory.

Tried it last night, and i dont think i ever left ketosis... !!!!!?!?!
    Original Weight ~~ 342
    Weight 1/27/02 ~~ 324
    Weight 2/13/02 ~~ 312
    Weight 2/28/02 ~~ 299
    Weight 3/11/02 ~~ 287
    Weight 4/15/02 ~~ 266
    Weight 5/30/02 ~~ 240
    Weight 8/28/02 ~~ 223
    Weight 1/11/03 ~~ 213

Someday....
    Originally posted by GIS
    AMAZING job dude. From the effort it must have taken to drop 130, losing a few more BF% shouldn't be too difficult. Again, way to go!!

Thanks alot... i remember the "I wonder if i even can loose weight?" speech i gave myself before i even started.... Now its more like "Exactly how much more would you like to loose?"

Its a lifestyle, not a diet... I really appreciate the kind words everyone.
    Last edited by BornBig; 01-22-2003 at 04:30 PM.

Originally posted by BornBig
    Same exact diet except i eat "Smarites" (Dextrose) post workout for some carbs... im think around 25 - 30...
    Eat the smarties before you workout and have a protein shake afterwards. Congrats on the outstanding weight loss, and the best of luck in reaching your overall goals.

Wow great job BornBig, I know exactly how you feel after losing all that weight, I did it a few years ago when I younger. Puts you on top of the world, and as of a sudden you're the family's personal trainer now too hehehe at least thats what happened to me =P

got damn boy... look at what you've done! you've done a great job. A CKD is a tough diet for many people to stick too, but you've done really well.

As for genetics....well you may have a propensity to gain fat easily, but you jsut have to know that that's true, and do your best to make sure you don't gain it back.

whilst i think that yes, genetically you can put fat on quite easily...the foods eaten make much more of a difference. I mean you family over generations is probably used to a certain type of eating, which culturally may suit them, but physically does no suit the genetics they or you are born with.

i mean, what's a typical meal at your hosue like, when all your people get together?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Someday....
    Originally posted by bradley

Eat the smarties before you workout and have a protein shake afterwards. Congrats on the outstanding weight loss, and the best of luck in reaching your overall goals.
    Could you tell me why i would want them Pre workout instead of post?

Energy? Thanks.

Originally posted by BornBig

Could you tell me why i would want them Pre workout instead of post?

Energy? Thanks.
    I took this from Lyle McDonald's book The Ketogenic Diet

"Studies giving carbs prior to resistance training have not found an increase in performance. However, almost without exception, individuals on a standard ketogenic diet who consume pre-workout carbs report improved strength and endurance and an ability to maintain a higher intensity of training during their workout."

http://64.191.60.103/showthread.php?...&highlight=TKD

here is an older thread that might be of some help as well