The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Could this be true?

http://www.5th-marine-snipers.com/Longest_shot.htm

cause 1900m is like 2100yards and thats like a friggin long shot....

I've heard that the longest unconfirmed kill was 1400yards in Nam... and i found this page, saying that the longest confirmed kill was at 1900m.... is this true? Anyone here with a keen interest in shooting/sniping?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I heard the navy seals have a sniper that shoots 2 inches below aimed on a range of 2500 metres

wohhaaa. i didnt think that the seals had such good snipers. I saw a program about the seals and the head instructor for the seal training course told that the USMC had the best sniper, because they trained sniping everyday, while the seals have a lot of skills that they have to train equally, so they are like non-spesialist spesialists.

So far today in the US military services I believe the most effective and well known sniper would be marine corps gunnery sgt Carlos Hathcock. He had 93 confirmed kills alone in vietnam, but his actual total was believed to be somewhere above 100.

He served 2 different 13 month tours in vietnam. He had a confirmed kill with a .50cal at over 1400 yards.

At one point during his last tour the vietnamese had put a bounty on his head because he had been killing so many of their officers. The vietnamese sent out their best sniper to track down hathcock and kill him. The two snipers mirrored each other for 7 days....finally one day they were on opposite hills slowly tracking each other. Hathcock saw a slight shimmer on the hill across from him and he set up. He saw the vietnamese sniper and sent off one round, killing the sniper. He made his way over to his kill to find that the vietnamese sniper had his weapon set up and was looking through the scope at hathcock. Hathcock was a few seconds quicker squeezing the trigger...and his round went right through the rifle scope of the vietnamese sniper, entering his eye socket, and blowing a huge hole out the back of his head.

That is just one small story I remember from the book I read about Carlos Hathcock. I believe the title of the book was called Marine Sniper: 93 confirmed kills.
    Last edited by G-B; 01-19-2003 at 10:59 AM.
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

Back at it
    Killing 93 people is nothing to brag about in my opinion, even if it is on the battle field.

Regardless, I'm glad Mr. Carlos was on our side.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

yay, i've done some research on Hathcock, he's a true legend, too bad he got this disease so he couldnt shoot, though. But he just crazy...its unbeliavable some of the things he did.

I find the deull (sp?) between SGT ZAITSEV vs MAJOR K÷NING to be just amazing. That tells how important a good sniper is.

Anywayz...

The thing is that I've been consricpted to the military and my interview is on wednesday, so i want to be prepared. I want to explore the option of becoming a sniper so i've done some research on sniping. I'll definietly request the Recon-forces, where sniping is one of the options. Would be friggin cool to be a sniper!!!
    Last edited by Centaurion; 01-19-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I think I heard of an uncofirmed kill at 2400M with a barrett .50 somewhere
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

do u know where?

Originally posted by Centaurion
    wohhaaa. i didnt think that the seals had such good snipers. I saw a program about the seals and the head instructor for the seal training course told that the USMC had the best sniper, because they trained sniping everyday, while the seals have a lot of skills that they have to train equally, so they are like non-spesialist spesialists.
    The seals are great at everything!!! Also crazy as hell with that training
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Ecoli die
    Wow! I could see a shot that far with a .50 maybe but with the .308 it's truly shocking. Considering that the energy is below 1000 ft/lb and the drop is in excess of 55" at 500yds on standard NATO 7.62 boat tails. At 2000yds it would have to be pushing 500 ft/lb and down 130"
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Do you think you have the personality to be a sniper?

Originally posted by Delphi
    Do you think you have the personality to be a sniper?
    in fact yeah, i do. I'm laid back, i dont stress and i got a heck of a patience. Besides, i dont mind being alone, i actually prefer it. So i would say yes i have a good sniper personality.

Just because you are laid back and have patience does not mean you are fit to be a sniper.

I cant remember the failure rate for the marine corps scout sniper program but it is some where near 84%. That being said, a lot of guys who think they are fit to be a sniper do not make it out of school. Most of the guys who are going through scout sniper school in the marine corps are either infantry marines or marines from a recon or force recon platoon.

There are many traits you must have in order to survive sniper school. I think one important trait would be being able to disassociate yourself from your target. It isnt easy taking someones life.
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

><))))))*>
    I heard that a Canadian in Afganistan made a 2500 meter shot???

I don't know if this is true or not.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." - Homer Simpson

I dont think I could do it, I mean you'd be seeing your target close up right? It must be very hard to disassociate from that, much harder than firing a machine gun at someone running towards you, which lets face it would be hard enough.

I guess its all down to mental disipline.
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

you got a good point there G-B.

Thats why im playing with the idea of attending a 2year course at Officers' Training School for light infantry (same as Army Rangers in the US) and then apply to the sniper/recon-program. I think i'll find out if i have the right mindset during those 2years.

Since im drafted for initial service i can also apply to the regular program and choose Light Infantry Recon and then go on as sniper, this will take about 9months. But i think i'll go for the first one.

I know its really really really difficult to become a sniper, but hey, if some guy can make it, why cant i!?
    Last edited by Centaurion; 01-20-2003 at 10:41 AM.

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    Navy SEALs aren't great snipers. The platoon I trained with didn't even carry sniper rifles. Marine snipers are the best in US.