Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press, 1 second pause or not?

hmm, I like to be big!!!

Bench Press, 1 second pause or not?

So, why should I put a one second pause at the bottom of the bench? Does it give a better workout? Or is it just a rule in plifting? How much does it affect your bench when you put the pause in? Does it drop it like 50 lbs?
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    It's a rule, and I don't think there's a way to say how much it effects. I have recently started doing a 1sec. pause and my PR is 260, whereas it was 245 with no pause. But that's more outside factors than the pause itself.

Wannabebig Member
    You dont have to pause,Most benchers just do touch and go.

It's a rule in Powerlifting. It definately makes it harder - for me it drops my bench by about 10-15 pounds depending on the day. But everyone varies, so I can't really say how much it drops your bench. Plus going slow like that, will drop your reps down too .

I personally think it gives you a better workout, because it seems to "target" the muscle more & really make the muscles work. That's just my opinion though. There isn't anything wrong with touch-and-go either. Just when people start bouncing it off of their chest - that's when it starts gettin pathetic .
    Southern Pride !

I am not positive but I thought its best not to pause, your shoulders are at a bad position then. Its required for powerlifting, but they also wear shirts. Just what I've read.

Ya, could pausing be a bad thing if done regularly?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I believe benchmonster weighed in on this in another thread a while back. If I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong man, he said that pausing without a shirt on is a very bad idea. Or something to that effect.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Nejar if you are a bodybuilder you don't pause, but if your training to be a power lifter then you should practices your technique.

Wannabebig Member
    You only pause when you are wearing a shirt.

Originally posted by xpack
    You only pause when you are wearing a shirt.
    Well you can practice the pause using sub-max weights without a ****...

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I guess the main objective of the pause in contests is to prevent chest bouncing.

Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever pause a bench press while training if you are not wearing a bench shirt!!!

I could not be more clear on this. Nor more emphatic. You will tear things up that are difficult to replace by pausing heavy benches without a shirt on.

The old style of shirts basically took away whatever the pause cost you in terms of your bench. A single ply poly Inzer shirt for most people would put back on their bench what the pause took away.

The modern shirts are far different. You can, if you are smart about it, bench significantly more wearing a modern shirt, even with a pause, than you could without a shirt even going touch and go. The shirts I use are made of 2 layers of denim and when pulled way down will not let less than 500 lbs touch my chest.

For RAW (no shirt) training, tho, just do touch and go, and while avoiding bouncing, go as fast as possible with your bar speed. If you are a terrible bouncer, then you might want to try catching the bar an inch or two off of your chest till you get around the tendency to bounce.

And yes, the main purpose of the pause in a meet is to avoid chest bouncing which with big weights would certainly be asking for significant injuries.

Pause is just a rule. It has nothing to do with strength, or muscle building.

B.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with pausing. It's unloading that can cause injury. I wouldn't try to pause a 1RM (or anything higher than about 80%), but there's no harm (and in fact, I've noticed tremendous benefit to strength and, yes, shoulder rehab) in pausing a lighter weight.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Manveet
    Ya, could pausing be a bad thing if done regularly?
    *** No "pausing" is not dangerous. Of course explaining what "regularely" means would help.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-22-2003 at 06:16 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

*** No "pausing" is not dangerous. Of course explaining what "regularely" means would help.
    How about if someone did this every week for their bench session? But not going heavy (ie less then 80% of their one rep max)
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

I did. Made very good progress, eliminated the sticking point off the chest, and rehabbed my shoulder. So I'll vouch for it.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Then we are talking about "isometrics" and the training that surrounds this.

I can delve further into this but I'm trying to refrain from typing up a big post.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-22-2003 at 09:47 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Kinda going off topic here

How can I add pausing to my normal bench routine? I only do two working sets of bench (235X6 235X4, failure on both)
    Last edited by Manveet; 01-22-2003 at 09:48 PM.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Technically Maki, its not isometrics-- its static-dynamic training.

I've brought the topic up a few times over the past year and some change-- run a search and see if you can dig it up.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 01-22-2003 at 09:49 PM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I was not refferring to the continuous combination of the two contractions but rather the "pause' itself. If we are to look at the blending of contractions then I would agree that it would termed as "static-dynamic training," but I was under the impression that Manveet was talking about simply pausing and how it can be incorporated into a lift like the bench and if it had any serious drawbacks (injury).
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Maki.

The whole thread was about pausing at the bottom of the bench.

Why would he suddenly change topics?

Right, and the what is the pause at the bottom called?

You do not have to simply explode up so that it is referred to as static-dynamic training. What about short explosive bursts of movement from a pause? I belive that is called 'oscillatory isometrics.' Or what about pressing against an immoveable object or a partner who acts as a form of resistance?

I'm not arguing that it can not be referred to as something else if it is combined in a sequential combination of muscular activity. I'm just saying that pausing in the bottom is referred to as isometrics and that there are ways of training using isometrics.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-22-2003 at 10:46 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Stay on topic or I'll report you to a moderator.

I am on topic, at least I think I am.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo