Thread: Losing Weight?

Wannabebig Member

Losing Weight?

As I said in my introduction (General Chat), I'm about 5'8 and a 180lbs of mostly fat. I'm interested in getting in better shape for the summer. Ideally, er should I say obviously (?), I'd like to drop fat and add muscle.

I've started reading through a bit of wbb.com but I'd like some advice. Can someone suggest a good routine and diet that shouldn't be too bad to stick to where I can drop lbs. and add muscle reasonably fast? I assume I should be lifting weights at least 5 times a week and running a few miles a day. Naturally my eating habits will have to change too. I'm pretty athletic and coordinated so excercise won't be a big problem but I know nothing about routines or nutrition.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

LG

Without knowing you personally (likes, dislikes, restrictions on diet and or training), it's tough to design a whole workout and diet, or basically revising your life! If you have read all the articles in training and nutrition, and still don't feel like you have enough to go on, browse the journals section to see what other people are doing. You could, and probably should, even start your own journal so you, and we can track your progress. If you have specific questions about diet and or training, that you can not find answers to with a search or in journals, the articles, etc, ask away, we'll try to help you out
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply ND.

Well I started to read a good portion of the articles @ wbb.com and I found some good advice and came up with some questions. Before I ask so many questions I'll tell you a bit about myself ...

I'm 20 year old college student and for the last 5 or so years I've been over-weight. I wouldn't consider myself obese, but I'm over-weight. Over Christmas break I began running a little bit with my next door neighbor and I'd really like to continue it and get in better shape. Obviously my biggest reason for being out of shape is my diet. My parents stock the cabinets with all fatty foods. We rarely eat healthy here. School food is very similar. Theres very few foods that are overly healthy. Also, I only have 2 meals a day at school. So this ends the 6 meal a day diet that I've read about,or has it?

As my classes are set up now, I don't have class till 10 & the gym opens @ 7:30. Ideally, I'd like to get up around 8 and run on the treadmills for a few miles. Then I'd like to go to all my classes and then hit the gym for another hour 5 times a week or so.

Any advice?

I'd appreciate some tips on excercises and a diet that would be helpful for weight loss while adding muscle. Thank you.

Linux, I would suggest starting out with one of the WBB routines, many here have had good results. It might be a little much to hit the gym twice a day, 5 days a week. Start out doing weights 3-4 times per week and cardio a few times a week to see how that goes.

As far as diet goes, you should still be able to get at least 5 meals a day. Do not skip breakfast. If you can only eat twice while at school why not bring something to snack on such as tuna sandwich, protein bar, nuts etc.....

See what you can come up with for a diet and post it here. Another tip would be to start tracking your diet at www.fitday.com

Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply Mik.

I think eating 5 - 6 meals a day is going to be difficult. My meal plan allows for JUST 2 meals. Generally I eat lunch and dinner. I could get away with buying a box of cereal or maybe some oatmeal for breakfast. That would make three. Using my own money I could probably afford to buy a sandwich and maybe a glass of milk in between classes. Now we're out four. Any ideas what I can use for a fifth meal? Keep in mind I live in a college dorm with 7 hungry roommates Does a PowerBar and glass of milk count as a meal?

Can someone give me some feedback on these thoughts?

I've read its possible to over-train with weights, is it possible to run too much also? I assume there has to be SOME limits, but any set in stone?

I've decided I'm going to start out with one of the WBB routines. I thought I would spend a few days (maybe a week) on each and see what works for me. Is this a smart idea or should I just jump into one?

Again thanks for all the help

Originally posted by Linuxguy
    Thanks for the reply Mik.

I think eating 5 - 6 meals a day is going to be difficult. My meal plan allows for JUST 2 meals. Generally I eat lunch and dinner. I could get away with buying a box of cereal or maybe some oatmeal for breakfast. That would make three. Using my own money I could probably afford to buy a sandwich and maybe a glass of milk in between classes. Now we're out four. Any ideas what I can use for a fifth meal? Keep in mind I live in a college dorm with 7 hungry roommates Does a PowerBar and glass of milk count as a meal?

***I would count a protein bar and milk as a meal. I try to eat every few hours and as such a meal for me may be a protein bar, some nuts, a few hardboiled eggs or a yogurt etc....

Can someone give me some feedback on these thoughts?

I've read its possible to over-train with weights, is it possible to run too much also? I assume there has to be SOME limits, but any set in stone?
    ***It is very possible to overtrain with weights as well as cardio. It varies from person to person though. Just remember you grow when you are OUT of the gym.

I've decided I'm going to start out with one of the WBB routines. I thought I would spend a few days (maybe a week) on each and see what works for me. Is this a smart idea or should I just jump into one?

***Personally, I would probably just jump into one and see how it goes but that's just my $0.02.

Again thanks for all the help
    Last edited by Mik; 01-22-2003 at 09:42 AM.