The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

dynamic effort bench question

I've been working with a 5x5 routine lately and seeing good results. My goals are size and strength and so far the 5x5 routine has given me the best of both worlds. I lift with a controlled eccentric and explosive concentric movement. Usually on the last 2 sets I can only get 2-4 reps. I know this is normal but the bar always gets stuck like 4" off my chest and I feel that if I could get past this sticking point I think I might be able to get 1 or 2 more reps.

Do you think adding a DE bench day would benefit my 5x5 routine? Im not a powerlifter or anything but to me it seems logical that if a little bar speed could get me 1-3 more reps on my last sets I would see better results.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    drop about 10-15 pounds on your last 2 sets.

Explosive reps have long been a staple of the training methods of the Westside Barbell Club and they have 500+ benchers to spare. Use about 45-55% of your 1RM and really focus on exploding the bar off the chest (no bouncing) for 6 sets of 3-4 reps. This is very concentrated training so don't overdo it.

The only problem with explosive work on the bench is that you spend a lot of time decelerating the weight to keep it from flying out of yoour hand at the top. A solution to this is to do plyometric pushups instead (or alternating the two) where you can push yourself off the ground without much chance of injury.
    "We must never take these words too seriously. Words are very important but if we take them too seriously, we destroy everything."

Do what i do. Well i use 8 reps for all my bench press sets just now but lets take 5 reps as the example. Do 2 warm- up sets first with increasing weight on the second warm up set. Then jump to your heaviest weight for 5 reps for your first main set. Now for your second main set, take 10 pounds off the bar and rep out another 5 reps. Keep taking 10 pounds off the bar each set and always try to hit those 5 reps no matter what. Take 2-3 mins rest between sets. By the way, this works. And make sure, every time you train your chest, whether it be once, twice or three times a week, always add on 5 pounds to all sets every single time you train your chest. Thats the only way you'll build mass and strength.

Hope this helps,

Robert

What is your ultimate goal, since you say you are not a PLer?

Do you want a big 1RM bench, do you want a big chest, do you want to win a bodybuilding contest, or look good on teh beach for the ladies?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Robert
    . And make sure, every time you train your chest, whether it be once, twice or three times a week, always add on 5 pounds to all sets every single time you train your chest. Thats the only way you'll build mass and strength.

Robert

No it's not. Never make blanket statements like "Thats the only way you'll build mass and strength." Especially not on this forum. You can gain mass and strength, by changing your set/rep cadence, or formula. You can gain mass and strength by training more often or less often. You can gain mass and strength by trying a different routine... Also many people are simply not going to be able to add on 5 pounds every single time they train their chest. Poundage progression is important to be sure, maybe the most important factor in weight training...but it is far from being the only one. It is for sure not the sole determining factor in building size and strength.

Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

No it's not. Never make blanket statements like "Thats the only way you'll build mass and strength." Especially not on this forum. You can gain mass and strength, by changing your set/rep cadence, or formula. You can gain mass and strength by training more often or less often. You can gain mass and strength by trying a different routine... Also many people are simply not going to be able to add on 5 pounds every single time they train their chest. Poundage progression is important to be sure, maybe the most important factor in weight training...but it is far from being the only one. It is for sure not the sole determining factor in building size and strength.

I agree completely with this. Hell has now officially frozen over.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Sure you can add 5lbs a week if you start with the bar today. Try 2-3 weeks, and even then for so long. For me most of my lifts progress every 3 weeks. For most of lifts I wo 6-8, add a rep a week. Hit 8 add 5-10lbs. For bench that was working. Then I got stagnant for a few weeks, so added weight anyways and it worked.
    It is a bit chilly.

Berserker,

You hit the nail on the head. It also works for 3 weeks on a 1 rep max as well. Most can get stronger by going to full intensity on a given exercise for 2 or 3 weeks, then a detraining effect takes place in which they will actually lose size and strength.

If you go hard all the time, you better switch up exercises to ensure that you continually see progress.

B.

Thats a good question Paul. I want to be big and strong. I like to improve my max but to me my max is just a way to measure my progress. Its a lot easier to see an extra 5lbs on the bar than 1/10 of an inch increase on your arms. I have no intention of ever competing in a bodybuilding or powerlifting competition so I don't really consider myself to be either a bodybuilder or powerlifter. I guess I just lift to better myself, but looking good for teh ladies is always a plus.

I tried a DE routine I found on the net last night. So we shall see how it works.

Originally posted by -sin-
    I tried a DE routine I found on the net last night. So we shall see how it works.
    Please post it if possible.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

It was 10 sets 3 reps with 60% 1 rep max, 60 secs rest between sets. I didnt do the assistance work it listed I just did my usual sets of dips, tricep extensions, and DB shoulder presses. 2xFailure for each.