Thread: Low Carb German Volume Training

Wannabebig Member LouFerrignosEar's Avatar

Low Carb German Volume Training

Would it be wise to try the "German Volume Training" method while following a low carb diet? Would muscle grow under these conditions? Or would I just be tiring myself out and getting atrophied?
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

A low carb diet isn't typically going to lead to muscle growth regardless of the workout routine.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

How about a change in body composition? For about two weeks now, I've been following a low-carb diet and still lifting hard(3 times a week), plus doing HIIT-type cardio whenever I feel like it, and I definitely feel "tighter". Not as flabby. I'm getting more defined, but slowly.... on top of that, my weight hasn't changed (I might have even gained weight). My stomach feels flatter.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Keep doin' what I'm doing?

Sure.

A keto diet (especially one where carb ups are used) can be excellent for maintaining muscle mass - the key, as always, is to run a caloric defecit.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Your fast twitch muscles almost exclusively use glycogen (carbs) for their energy. After a week, at most, your lifts are going to suck.

Granted keto is a fine diet. Lifting heavy is always correct. Just don't expect to get far with your heavy lifts with no carbs.

CKD is an excellent way to combine keto and a heavy workout. You might check that out.

$0.02
    Fudo

Since German Volume training is VERY volume you'll probably have some difficulties soon enough. Since you'll be doing rep-ranges where the muscles are dependant on glycogen for energy you'll be setting yourself up for failure.
    "We must never take these words too seriously. Words are very important but if we take them too seriously, we destroy everything."

Hmmm... I see. Maybe it's not a good idea. I take in little carbs, just enough to keep my lifts strong and consistent. Anything more makes me feel bloated.

I'm gonna stick with my "normal" routine as long as it's working. I think it is. I don't know if I've lost any actual weight, but my body looks and feels harder. All that is really there is some fat obscuring the definition of my abs and torso, it's really annoying and doesn't want to come off. I do cardio, too. So I'm hoping if I keep this up, stick to my lifts and take in just enough carbs to keep my lifting going, perhaps I'll be in much better shape in a few months.