Thread: Am I making good gains???

Am I making good gains???

I am so glad I finally found a weight lifting forum with more than 50 total posts . Here is my workout chart for the past 5 weeks (or so) for pec fly's (done on a machine, not dumbells). I do 3 sets per day so they are grouped in 3's:

Day1:
    13@80
    12@80
    12@70

Day2:
    12@85
    10@80
    11@75

Day3:
    12@90
    10@85
    12@80

Day4:
    12@95
    10@90
    11@85

Day5:
    12@100
    11@95
    9@90

Is this about the right pace that I should be making improvements??? Pretty much all of my muscles are progressing at this pace. It seems like I am getting stronger and stronger but I'm not really seeing the results. Does it take a while before you notice big differences in your size? Thanks for the help!

maybe i'm not understanding this right but you do pec flyes 5 days in a row? is that all your doing?
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

No... of course not :-P.

Notice I said that was my workout chart for the past 5 weeks . I do pecs usually once a week. Thanks for the reply!

it will definitely take awhile to notice a big difference in size. are pec flyes the only chest exercise you do? no benching of any kind?

well.. yes at the moment. Basically what I do is I keep doing the same exercise until I start noticing that I'm not making any gains, then I switch my routine. I usually end up switching about every 1 1/2 months to 2 months. I just got off several months of benching with dumbells and then before that it was a barbell.

It's odd though... I looked at a pic from back in august of last year and then a pic I took today and I look almost exactly the same, and weigh only a few pounds more. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gaining slower than I should or something you know?

A Fortnight Dead
    Post your whole routine.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Ecoli die
    If you are doing just one exercise on the chest, I'd highly
    reccomend that you chose a compound exercise like dips, decline
    press or something like that rather than flies. Flies are not a
    particularly good indicator of gains.

What do you mean by gains?
    If you're looking at str gains, look at squats or deads or rows.

Just my $.02, keep up the good work!
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Wannabebig Member celticwarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tiare
    If you are doing just one exercise on the chest, I'd highly
    reccomend that you chose a compound exercise like dips, decline
    press or something like that rather than flies. Flies are not a
    particularly good indicator of gains.

What do you mean by gains?
    If you're looking at str gains, look at squats or deads or rows.

Just my $.02, keep up the good work!

I gotta agree there buddy!!
    Pain is temporary
    Pride lasts forever

Remember diet plays into hugely when trying to gain or lose weight, a few pounds in a half year doesn't seem that extensive.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

From what I understand, flies are the best way to work out your pectoral muscle. When you flex your pec, it brings your arms in towards your body, just like a fly. That is one of the reasons I love fly's because it works the pec exactly as it was meant to be used.

I actually do dips for triceps .

My reason for doing 1 type of exercise per muscle group is that I feel it is easier to track progress if I am only doing one exercise. When I do three different workouts in a session, the last workout will have trouble progressing since I exert most of my energy in the first two sets. I find that sometimes if I move up in weight on all my sets, the first two end up with more reps while the last one ends up with less reps b/c the muscle is exhausted by the first two sets. So... instead of doing multiple types of exercises, I simply rotate what I do when I have started to hit a plateau.

I'm sorta trying to use my best judgment to guide how I organize my workouts since there doesn't seem to be any scientific data showing that doing routine "a" yields this result and routine "b" yields this etc.. (unless there is and I haven't found it! Feel free to point one out to me so I can check it out.) Right now I am basically taking each exercise one at a time and trying to maximize what I can do on each.

So anyway... Is this way of working out bad? It seems to be working right? Every exercise I am doing is showing progress identical to what is shown by pec fly's. If I do decide to do an exercise for say triceps where there are three distinct muscles that need to be fatigued, if I select an exercise that isolates one of them I always include an exercise that works the others. Thanks for all the replies and i'm certainly open to criticism and suggestions!

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Remember diet plays into hugely when trying to gain or lose weight, a few pounds in a half year doesn't seem that extensive.
    Yea that's one thing that is tough for me... I don't like eating more than i usually do but i know I have to in order to gain weight. I do notice that if I am trying to watch my weight, I hit walls with my workouts and sometimes even regress.

So then you think a few pounds in a half year is okay?? Am I progressing very slowly? I read one of the training articles and I think it said something like extreme athletes can only gain 23lbs of muscle in a year. I guess I'm not doing too bad right :-P??
    Last edited by Paladyr; 01-25-2003 at 06:40 PM.

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    Post your whole routine.
    Basically what I do is pick one or two exercises for each muscle and do them for a month or so, then use a different workout. This is how I split it up:

Day1:
    Shoulders/Lats

Day2:
    Legs (Running, leg press, leg ext. calf raises)

Day3:
    Pecs/Upper Back

Day4:
    Bi's and Tri's

Abs I just do whenever they feel rested on any of the above days.

A Fortnight Dead
    Rest days?
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Dude, you need to check out the wbb routines on the main site.
    www.wannabebig.com You also need to eat more to make any sort of size gains. 2lbs in a year is nothing.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    Dude, you need to check out the wbb routines on the main site.
    www.wannabebig.com You also need to eat more to make any sort of size gains. 2lbs in a year is nothing.
    agreed. it seems like your routine and diet are the problems.

There is at least 1 day's rest in between each workout session.

So the gains I am making each week are not acceptable?? I can understand that me not eating more is the reason i'm not gaining weight but if I am making decent str gains each time I work out do I really need to change my routine?
    Last edited by Paladyr; 01-25-2003 at 10:15 PM.

whether yours gains are acceptable or not, i can't say. what are your goals? what's acceptable for someone else may not apply to you. like tiare said flies aren't a particularly good way to build a big chest. if you want to see optimal gains for your chest doing only one exercise, go with a heavy compound movement and eat more.

Ecoli die
    A 225lb strong man who can bench reps at 350 doing 120lb flies is not unusual.

The exercise is almost a test of your flexibility. Pectoral muscles are best described as synergists/stabilizers. You never naturally just use your pectoral muscles.
    Last edited by Tiare; 01-25-2003 at 10:39 PM.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

A Fortnight Dead
    Running is NOT acceptable leg training .

Do. Squats.

Squats.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg