Thread: deadlifts

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar

deadlifts

Quick question, I've got a buddy who told me while doing deadlifts he get's tension on his lower back, any suggestions?
    "No maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself." Rocky 4
    " You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky

It does work the lower back, among other things. Tension? to much weight?

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar
    no he said he was only doing about 135lbs, I didn't know if there was something wrong with his form. I know that when i dead lift my back is a little tight but not bad.
    "No maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself." Rocky 4
    " You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky

Your lower back should feel stiff after doing deadlifts since that is the main target of the lift. Obviously, if the pain is bad pain (like lasting for more than 3 days), then it is likely that you are not doing the exercise with good form. I sort of hurt myself when I first did deadlifts and switched to sumo stance. I'd say sumo stance is better in regards to keeping your back from an injury.
    5-9 170

Depends on your body. I;ve only done sumos a couple times, but I felt it more in my back.

Tell him to get used to it. Deadlifts work the back as well as the legs. If your friends getting pain from deadlifting with 135lbs. he obviously doesn't have the form down. You really shouldn't be in pain the next day because of it though.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Back at it
    My lower back always has a dep ache and sharp soreness to it since I started doing deads. It will take time for your back to become accustomed to doing them. The muscles, spinal erectors, and ligs/tendons need to get used to the weight and tension from them.

Keep it fairly light to start off with and slowly progress. Also, make sure you research form and maybe pick the brain of a knowledgable trainer. Your back is very easy to injur so make sure to lift smart.