The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Decline/Flat/Incline...Which one and why?

I'm making a new routine for my chest and I was wondering which one I should use for my bench press. I've heard from a couple different people saying incline is the best, and some say decline, and some say flat. I'm pretty confused.

My goal is strength. Sets will be just 3x 6-8.

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Personally I do both flat and incline, don't have a decline bench. I flat first, so thats my priority. Part of this that I want a big bench.

Flat BP work the outer and middle regions of the pectoral muscle.

Incline presses work the upper region.

Decline presses work the middle and lower portion of the pecs.

I personally do all three of them, just because I want total chest development. Although I must say that my upper pecs need the most work, so I try to focus on more inclines than anything.

Pick one or two, and do them.

It really doesn't matter all that much.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by AstronautJones

I personally do all three of them, just because I want total chest development. Although I must say that my upper pecs need the most work, so I try to focus on more inclines than anything.
    Oh dear.

*puts on ninja costume*
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

A Fortnight Dead
    *wails on guitar*
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

** As well as the inner, upper and lower.

** As well as the lower, inner, and outer

** As well as the outer, inner, and upper

** Flat benching and dips would work your 'upper' chest just as well. Doing inclines just works your shoulders more than flat.

Do a search using 'upper chest' or check out the links in Hulk's signature for an extensive, exhaustive discussion of this and related subjects.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

A Fortnight Dead
    Thank you, Paul.

Very well said.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    If your goals are strenght, you should use a routine geared for strength. 3 sets of 6-8 doesn't qualify.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg

** As well as the inner, upper and lower.

** As well as the lower, inner, and outer

** As well as the outer, inner, and upper

** Flat benching and dips would work your 'upper' chest just as well. Doing inclines just works your shoulders more than flat.

Do a search using 'upper chest' or check out the links in Hulk's signature for an extensive, exhaustive discussion of this and related subjects.
    My mistake, I stand corrected.

Mike Mentzer thought incline press was better it's also the case for Brian Haycock.

Arthur Jones didn't consider flat or incline press as a good exercise he would do DIPS for Chest !

on this site http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html and http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html
    you can see that incline work only upper chest.... and flat bench press both with an emphasis on lower chest....

I think they underestimate the incline press or perhaps they tested incline press with a bench inclined too much.

I would do Dips and Dumbbells Flat Bench pre-exhausted with flyes.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg