Thread: A few questions from a beginner

Wannabebig Member

A few questions from a beginner

Can you please explain....

Correct method of Pyramiding bench press?
    What is reverse pyramid?
    While pyramiding, should you push each set to failure or stick to the numbers of reps?(10,8,6,4,2....) It seems if I push to failure I cannot complete the higher weight sets...
    Is Pyramid the BEST approach, or straight sets of 6-8 instead?

there seem to be hundreds of different excersises for every muscle group known. What is the appropriate number of excersises to do during a workout session? I see most of you do between 6-8 different type of excersises during your workout. I find that I can only do 4-5 then my muscles are spent. Am I doing too many sets per excersise?

probably easy questions, but I am clueless.

Thanks for your comments.
    Geoffery Thornton

Wannabebig Member
    Hi, i find up to 10 sets for the big bodyparts work for me, usually in the 6-8 rep range. Any more and im not pushing the weights in-form. Im also in and out of the gym in an hour.
    Life is a gift, live your life to the full and try to become a big muvvafukka in the mean time!

To put it simple and easy for ya..there is no correct method cuz it all depends on what you want to do and what your goals are. High number of sets and low amount of reps, or low amount of sets and high amount of reps?

Reverse pyramid is backwards counting, hence doing sets with lets say 10 reps, then 8 reps, then 6 reps. If you want to go to failure or not depends on your goals. I always do the sets so my last rep in every set goes to failure. For this I add weight to every set, and increase the weights for all sets every week, or every other week. This way I've seen great gains in muscle size over the past couple of weeks.

As you get more and more into lifting, you have to change your routines, so your muscles don't get a chance to adapt to the constant workout routines. (change your routines every 2 - 3 months or so). To check out different exercises, go to http://www.exrx.net and click on the individual muscle groups you want to target.

A workout session should always be between 12 - 20 sets, never more! The amount of sets really depends on what your goals are so it's hard to say you should do this many sets of that, and this many sets of this. It is important to remember that you grow outside the gym, not while you work out!

Also read through some of the threads in this forum. They contain great information. I remember when I joined this forum only 2 months ago I was clueless to a lot of things. Asking different questions, and receiving great feedback from people here has taught me more in 2 months than I learned over several years in the past.

PS: Again, you have to clearify what your goals are. You should never do more than 3-4 sets per exercise...in theory, 1 set with loads of weight to failure is enough to make your muscles grow. Then again, if muscle growth isn't your goal, you have to go for a different routine
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the info. I visited the link and it looks very informative. I agree, this site is full of great information and very knowledgeable people. It seems the more serious you get into working out, the more complicated it can get. My goal is to become big with supplements and hard work, and not resort to steroids. Good luck to you and thanks for the post.
    GBT