Thread: HIIT maybe?

HIIT maybe?

I tried to do HIIT cardio on a tredmill on the gym, well its not too easy. Because it takes awhile for the machine to get up to the speed I set it to.

I am wondering if this is good:

warm up: 5 minutes of light walk

cardio:

30 secs walking
    2-3 minutes running 7-8 mph.

30 secs walking
    5-7 minutes running 7-8 mph.

1-2 minutes walking
    5-7 minutes running 7-8 mph.

I do that for a total of 20 minutes... too much? too little.. I am on the air with this..

I thought the best hiit ratio was much closer together, like 25sec running to 60 walking? I'm not sure on that but I think it's in that ballpark. But that's probaly really hard to do on a treadmill.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I use the eliptical machine because it makes it easier going full intensity without changing the setting.

But idealing you want to sprint for a short time and jog/walk for the rest. Try what Behemoth suggested or just use a machine that gives you more control. You can also try running in place and marching to cool down. That way you really don't need any machines.

According to that study powerman posted, the shorter the interval, the more effective the exercise at fat oxidation (to a certain point...) (as behemoth said).
    "fat oxidation was 3 times lower in the group that used 24 second work intervals and 36 second rest intervals, compared to a group using 6s/9s ratios."
    My advice would be running on grass or something (or road if your joints can take a pounding), its awkard but it would allow you to use shorter intervals and hence increase fat oxidation.
    Whatever you choose, I think the normal rest to work ratio is 1.5 to 1 (3 to 2).

Please note that i'm a noob so dont yell too much if its wrong.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding