The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

What to do for shoulder pain from bench?

I experience shoulder pain after about 6 weeks of working out. I'll take some time off, start over, and in another 6 weeks, the shoulder pain comes back. It feels kind of like tendonitis or maybe a rotator cuff problem? It is just in my right shoulder. It sucks b/c I get up to 450 lbs. on bench, then have to take several weeks off and start from scratch. I've done this on and off thing about 3 times now, it comes back EVERY time around the 6th week.

Anyone else have similar shoulder pain? What should be done to make it go away?
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 01-26-2003 at 02:54 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Yes, I had it when I bench pressed the regular way. Now I use dumbells and I'm generally fine, but sometimes other exercises can trigger some pain though. Your body is telling you something and the longer you ignore it the worst it will be. Eventually, it might get to the point of requiring surgery. Do a search on rotator cuff, there have been plenty threads on this.

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    My right shoulder got it in July, my left last weekend. Sucks. I thought it was rotator cuff, but it wasn't (thank God!), then bursitis, but it wasn't.

Had dinner with an orthopaedic surgeon last week who said it was most likely tendonitis in the shoulder. Hurts like hell and I have my arm in a sling for at least one day, sometimes two.

Unfortunately I can't isolate the cause. Could be the benching, could be another exercise, could be something I'm doing in karate, who knows? Mine doesn't recur as quickly as yours seems to, though. I'm hoping mine isn't chronic. The right shoulder came back 100% after the bout in July.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Firstly, go see your Physio!!

Secondly, it sounds like a rotator cuff problem to me.... that's what i got. My rotator cuff muscles aren't strong enough to support or control the weight when i'm doing a heavy bench press. My physio said he sees it allllllll the time in body builders, as their pecs are a lot stronger than those little muscles in the shoulder!!

If you find that this is your problem, it's just a matter of doing a few simple exercises to help strengthen them up.

Thirdly, go see your physio!!
    Last edited by Miss Rezza; 01-26-2003 at 06:44 AM.
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thats a good advise for someone who doesnt want the injury then! Make sure you develop your shoulders up before trying any major bench press.

I think most people here are on the right track about stabilizing the shoulder but one element is missing: the traps. The traps and the pecs are antagonist muscle groups in this case and if you're not doing enough trap work you will develop a strength imbalance. Simple as that. Chances are you're doing a ton of work on your bench and a few extra exercises for good measure to really fry your pecs but basically do a few light sets of dumbell shrugs for traps (the burn!!); I see people do this all the time.

First step - stop benching heavy right now. Since you only experience the pain at heavier weights, try doing some explosive bench workouts while you're rehabing.

Add rotator cuff work - extrenal and internal rotation, the supraspinatus raise, and start working your rear delts with lying rear delt laterals.

Do some major trap work - and I don't mean the dumbell shrugs. Start doing heavy barbell shrugs, high pulls and maybe the prone trap raise to really bring your traps up to par with your pecs.

Really work the entire supporting cast of the shoulder - so that means some pectoralis minor work too. Do short-range dumbell pullovers and/or scapula depressions.

Give your shoulder at least 4 weeks of light rehabilitation training and work on any weak areas. Then build up again. But make the rotator cuff and trap work a lifetime occurence. You'll probably need it.
    "We must never take these words too seriously. Words are very important but if we take them too seriously, we destroy everything."

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like good advice guys, thanks.

Back at it
    Everybody should be directly training their rotator cuffs anyway. It won't be a visible improvement in size, but it will drastically help movements such as bench and reduce the chance of injury as the lovely Miss Rezza stated.

Find out what it is. Get it scoped. You can sit there doing rotator cuff work for years and years, but if you have a cyst, bone spur, biceps tendon injury, or pinched nerve, you're not doing yourself a bit of good.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Search here on impingement syndrome. The supraspinatus tendon runs between the clavicle/AC joint and the head of the humerus. If that space is narrowed due to inflammation or a congenital narrowing of the space, the tendon can become inflamed. You can have supraspinatus tendonitis or subacromial bursitis causing your pain.

Restless-why would dumbellss help? Difereant plane of movement, but your also going deeper.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Delphi
    Search here on impingement syndrome. The supraspinatus tendon runs between the clavicle/AC joint and the head of the humerus. If that space is narrowed due to inflammation or a congenital narrowing of the space, the tendon can become inflamed. You can have supraspinatus tendonitis or subacromial bursitis causing your pain.
    Damn you beat me to it.... that was exactly what I was going to say ...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Berserker
    Restless-why would dumbellss help? Difereant plane of movement, but your also going deeper.
    I don't go deeper. Ir's probably because they allow for a more freedom of movement I guess, not sure though.
    Last edited by restless; 01-27-2003 at 01:56 PM.

MACHINE
    It sucks, but there seems to ba an obvious pattern here. You work up to a very heavy bench, and then it hurts. Maybe your joints just can't handle that weight. It sucks, but stick with higher reps and lower weights. Benching 275 or 300 for ten reps is very impressive, it'll still be very effective for building strength, and it'll probably be much easier on your joints.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Wannabebig Member
    Well, 285 for 10 is kind of my second warmup setup, but I'll stick to the low weight high rep stuff. Looks like I might have to breakdown and see a doc.

I hurt my shoulder last december, didn't bench for awhile. When I did I worked tris and shoulder first. This way I was using less weight when benching and hitting my chest more. Atleast that was my thoughts. Hate to say people might be right, maybe you've hit your body's limit. Those are not shameful #s.
    There are unnatural means to increase ligament strength though.

Nights-You may be right. Dumbells might be better as long as don't go to deep.

I've had almost the exact problem as you're describing. My M.D. diagnosed it as tendanitus and gave me an anti-inflammatory to take.

Basically I laid off the heavy stuff for 3 weeks all together. I just repped with 4 sets of 225. But most importantly I started doing shoulder work again. Shrugs, front raises, a couple of the machines etc. I had been neglecting my shoulders big time.

Last week I went semi-heavy again for the first time in awhile. Did 275 a few times and one rep of 315. Arm was a little sore there but NOTHING like the pain previously so I was pretty happy about that.

My plan is to continue with the shoulder exercises and drop a anti-inflammatory post work-out as I start going heavy again.

I WILL have 405!!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yo yo yo, I have the same problem but my problem is a bit more complicated. I do a boxing routine that will hopefully turn into an MMA routine, and I do westside which focuses on Benching and Squatting at the same time. So what should I do? Stop everything all together? Should I just stop heavy benching? Should I stop heavy benching and squatting and continue boxing? Or should I just continue normally and just use shoulder exercises as an assitance exercise or ME exercise? Or should I continue with everything at lighter weights? BTW i wanted to hit a 300 bench and a 450 squat before i went on this little rehab thing, would it be better to weight, or just hit it now?
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

What do other boxers do? There are some pretty big boxers.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I dunno, i can't find a boxing lifting program
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Can you talk to any other boxers? Can doing a search for websites. Some might discuss training. I guess I would treat the boxing practices like cardio. Do you train everyday? If so I would jsut do a regular wo and suck it up. Might not be ideal for muscle growth, but you gonna do? Same as having a physical job you have to do everyday. If you sore I would spread out wos and train more instinctively when not sore.

For some reason almots any bodybuilder that I know starts getting shoulder problems when lifting heavier than 4 plates, maybe thats the reason powerlifters always use the shirt?? (no problema here, I am nowhere near 4 plates )

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Could it be a simple case of your technique going to the ****house when you push extra heavy weights?

We all know how paramount technique is to BB Bench Press.
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Banned
    I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make but have you thought about switching to decline bench instead, at least while you're waiting for a response from your doc, etc?

As I understand it, decline takes your shoulders out of the bench somewhat and makes it more of a pec/tri thing.... even flat bench still has a large shoulder component, yeah?

FWIW
    Cal