The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Tonight was deads at the Duke gym with Belial, Narcissus, Evolu2Art, and another big guy that I donít think posts on here yet. (Anybody who wants to know what Narc really looks like, send me $5 - Iíll tell you the truth.) It was a pretty darn good workout for everybody concerned. Belial pulled 650!!! It was a pretty awesome spectacle. (I got a little PR too - I pulled 235 for two singles. But it looks pretty small next to 650!)

Deads
    1x6, 135, warmup
    1x5, 195
    2x1, 235
    Had to give it a couple of little hitches about halfway up on the second one, and the lockout was a little shaky. Grip wasnít great either. I think Iím getting pretty close to my current max now.

Romanians
    1x10, 135
    1x5, 185
    1x5, 175
    1x8, 155
    Came real close to dropping the bar on the last 2 or 3 of the last 3 sets - grip was pretty much fried. Tried some chalk on the last ones - it really does help, but I was just plain wore out by then.

Glute-ham raises (on the floor)
    1x4 (negatives, with about Ĺ of a concentric on each one)
    Must conquer this exercise. But not today.

Lying hamstring curls
    1x6, 100
    1x6, 80
    1x6, 60
    Very little rest in between each set (thatís why come the drastic drops in weight)

Decline bench ab stuff
    Lots of it, all with 15 lbs in plates: 2x15 crunches, 2x10 crunches, 1x10 obliques
    Yeah. I was pretty much burnt like toast.

Whew. Long day. Basketball is on now. (I picked Duke to win in my b-ball pool. HA to all you skeptics out there. Iím cheering like hell for them - the potís over 150 bones!) (But my odds arenít great... )

Oh yeah, girls only: I went shopping today (and spent WAY too much money!), but I got 2 fabulous pairs of shoes (one was a pair of black Charles Jourdan spike-heeled mules!! Sweet!) And 3 fabulous hats! (One big-brim droopy black straw, one beige-pink straw with the kind of brim that is turned down and frames your face, and one very constructed black-and-white straw. WORD.) Now I just need some fabulous places to go in the afternoon this summer to wear them to. OK, the guys can start reading again now: so, if anybody needs a really, really well-dressed date for a fancy afternoon function, Iím your girl.
    You can't babysit this.

Originally posted by carolinagirl
    (Anybody who wants to know what Narc really looks like, send me $5 - Iíll tell you the truth.)
    now this i've got to hear.
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darŁber muŖ man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

Dude, she saw the zipper on your big suit.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Narcissus

now this i've got to hear.

Not till I get my five bucks.
    You can't babysit this.

Originally posted by Belial
    Dude, she saw the zipper on your big suit.
    sh!t !

Originally posted by CarolinaGirl
    not til i get my five bucks

that's a pound of cow and a pound of chicken.
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darŁber muŖ man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

Do that voodoo that he do
    Damn, how small do they have to be? I can shrink them some more. I'll do that tomorrow, and I'll post them here, if you don't mind. That'll allow me to monkey around with the pics more if I need to. :evillaugh

Hey ya'll, Cgirl is looking good! The calves look nice, right on up to the .

Front double bi shows some good arms and what could be good lat development. Both will be enhanced with some more proficient posing, but that'll come.

Oh, and there's a big ol' cheesy smile, too.

Aww, thanks, B! Yeah, go ahead and post them here. (Um, what is the for? Are you going to photoshop out my clothes or something?)

And yes, it's lats. FINALLY. And the curve you may notice at the bottom of my arms? NOT fat. That's triceps, baby. (Yay dips.)

You're right about the cheesy grin too - Greg said something stupid and made me laugh right before he took it.
    You can't babysit this.

CGirl, great looking pics there. It's great to see the effort show up in your pictures and in your DEADS - 235 Way to go. BTW, there is nothing, nothing wrong with the Atari generation.

My $5 is in the mail, spill your guts.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Aww, thanks, B! Yeah, go ahead and post them here. (Um, what is the for? Are you going to photoshop out my clothes or something?)

[hot crazy girl voice] I'll never teeeeeeeelllll.... [/hot crazy girl voice]

Here's my food. I didn't post it yesterday - it was perfectly clean, but a little high in cals. I was hungry like the wolf all day - hopefully that means that my refeed had kicked my metabolism up.

Wednesday:

M1-10:00 am: 1.5 scoop whey, 1/2 cup oats (dry measure), 1 apple
    M2-11:30 am: 6 oz broiled salmon, 3 cups raw spinach leaves, 1 tbs olive oil
    M3-1:00 pm: 1 cup hummus, 2 cups cucumber slices
    M4-5:00 pm: 3 cups frozen grapes (!!), 2 cups cottage cheese
    M5-9:00 pm: 4 oz flank steak, 1 green pepper, 1 onion stirfried with 1 tsp olive oil
    M6-10:30 pm: 2 carrots (hungry hungry hungry )

And 30 g fish oil.

2717 cals
    105 g fat (16 sat, 23 poly, 30 mono)
    267 g carbs
    188 g protein
    36% fat, 33% carb, 29% protein
    (It was the damn grapes, Franji!!)

Thursday:

M1-1:00 am: 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 tbs natty p-bo (middle of the night snack left over from Hungry Wednesday)
    M2-10:30 am: 1 cup oats, 5 whites/1 whole egg
    M3-4:30 pm: 1.5 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, salad w/ lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, diced egg
    M4-8:30 pm: PWO shake
    M5-11:00 pm: 5 oz flank steak, 2 cups yellow squash with onions

30 g fish oil

2254 cals
    109 g fat (16/16/49)
    135 g carbs
    188 g protein
    45% fat, 21% carb, 34% protein

Both days a little high, but whatever. Erg. Better tomorrow.
    You can't babysit this.

Energizer Bunnie
    3 cups frozen grapes (!!) [/B]
    :evillaugh

*LMAO* Ohhh if only you knew how my belly is hurting right about now....

I'll DEFINITELY be picking your brain & sussing out your training secrets girlie...Your quads and bi's are sen-frickin-sational....guess I'll have to wait to see the face in the flesh then eh??
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

2 cups cottage cheese
    Holy Guacomole!!

I find it hard enough gettin' through 2 Tablespoons of that stuff, let alone 2 cups!

You're hardcore!!
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

You leave your Duran Duran allusions in the 80's where they belong, miss!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Here they are, ya'll. Looking great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't everyone come undone...

Gawd, I kill me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legs look awesome! Your arm and shoulder development is looking really good.

Again, certainly looks like the lifting is having some very positive impacts.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

@ hamstrings
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

w00+! great legs!

and for hats!!!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

...nice guns!
    Last edited by Pup; 03-28-2003 at 01:52 PM.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by Pup
    ...nice guns!

Absolutely, freaking PERFECTO....that is exactly what i what im aiming for
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Aww, you guys are so sweet. I'm blushing now.

Chase, that means a lot coming from you - I've heard about your hamstring fetish! )

Rookie, you'll recieve the information when I have the money in hand.

Rezza, I noticed that you eat it by the tablespoon - I was thinking, 'she's so disciplined. I feel like a pig.' Guess I just love the cottage cheese. (Luckily.) I go through 4-6 tubs a week!

Tryska, The hats totally rule! (I think I'll wear the pink one to church on Easter - I had forgotten about the Easter-hat-church thing. That's one down, 2 to go. Do you happen to need a really, really well dressed date for any afternoon functions this summer? )

Pup, Franji, HY: thanks you guys.

And Powerman, Duran Duran is forever.

edit: I almost forgot - especially thank you to Borris and Belial for taking up my technological slack and doing the pics for me. Y'all are the collective daddy.
    Last edited by carolinagirl; 03-28-2003 at 08:50 PM.
    You can't babysit this.

hmmm.....i can't think of anything off the top of my head, but you know how these things are.....they tend to pop up. if some function necessitating a hat shows itself, you'll be the first person i think of. and yes Easter is perfect....then you could wear it to brunch after, and drink mimosas!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

It's all good on the tech stuff, but it's nice to have someone admit your daddy status.

I hear you on the cottage cheese. When I'm not CKDing I go through like two or more pounds a day.

Women in fabulous hats!

Borris: The hats are so fabulous, they almost make me want to myself!!

Tryska: OK. Just keep me on your list. (And behatted post-church Easter brunch, WITH mimosas, is a given. Gotta toast the resurrection of our Lord, after all - and what better way than with champagne? )

Today was really ,really fun. Went to see my first ever bb show in Greensboro - I met up with HY. We went to the morning prejudging rounds, then ate, then worked out (), then the evening show. Wore my old ass out. I'm posting this and then hitting the metaphorical hay. It was fun though - I definitely want to do a show now. And there was more beef in that audience than in 500 head of Black Angus on the hoof. TONS of huge guys there. (But HY held his own, I have to say!)

We did chest and tris. (And yes, I got to witness the sick dip strength in action. !)

Flat bench
    1x8, warmup, bar
    1x5, 85
    1x3, 105
    1x2, 125
    1x5, 105
    I think I got some help on the second rep @ 125. Still, +5 lbs is OK by me. (Although +15 would be better...)

Incline DB presses
    1x5, 35's
    1x8, 30's
    Had a LOT of trouble getting the 35's up on the first rep, (as in, I bonked myself in the face with one!) but after that it was easy. Go figure. And the 30's were like sweet, delicious cake (until about the 6th rep...)

Incline flyes
    1x6, 20's
    I usually do these only going down level with my shoulders (if that, on the heavy ones) - today I went ALL the way down (as far as my shoulders would let me). Thus the large drop in weight. Tweaked a little something in my shoulder, but I think I'll continue to do the larger ROM for a while.

Dips
    1x6, bw
    1x6, bw
    1x5, bw (absolutely could not get up there one more time. ) Still, the first couple of sets felt pretty solid. Maybe one more week without weight.

Reverse grip cable pushdowns
    1x8, 50
    1x10, 60
    Old, friction-riddled pulleys. Thus the puny-ass weights.

Tried to do some of the scary-ass toes-to-ceiling hanging leg raises. No dice. But HY did some impressive **** with those - bubkas (sp?) and windshield wipers and stuff. The man has got some sick ab strength.

Surprisingly, the two most inveterate overtrainers around these parts were done at this point. (We decided we should go get in line for tickets. Good thing, too - the line was LONG already.)

All the fitness competitors were tiny and cheerleader-esque. All the figure competitors were implanted and bleached to the hilt, and on the scrawny side (except for one girl who I thought looked fantastic, who didn't even make the final 5.) The lightweight women bbers were better (a couple of pretty imoressive ones) - but the heavyweights were where it was at. For the men, as per my taste for the big 'uns, I thought the heavyweights (there were like 25 of them in the class - most of them looked good, too!) and super heavyweights were the best - but the overall winner (definitely deserved it, too) was a light heavy - AMAZING physique. Like a short Chris Cormier with more lats. Really, really outstanding. It was a very high level of competition among the men - I was pleasantly surprised.

All in all, very fun - but boy am I whipped.

(Oh yeah, diet sucked - I only ate 3 times today, and that includes my PWO shake! Bad, bad. tuttut )
    You can't babysit this.

Glad you had a good time, competing is some cool stuff, pre-contest sucks, but its all worth it when you step on stage, let the crowd view your sheer magnificence and pose til your eyes feel like they are gonna pop outta your head...oh yea baby!
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.