Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shouting Obcenities Equals Greater Lifts?

Degeneration, Mr Cackerot... Save it for chat tuttut

MACHINE
    I have been known to use obscenities in the gym while working out. Finishing a set and mumbling something like "f*ck everyone" is not uncommon for me. I do try to keep the worst language to myself, though. I find it a lot more common now that I train to absolute failure. I guess that for me, the tougher the set, the more vocal(a.k.a. - vulgar) I become. Oh well, I'm not there to make friends and if I offend some folks in my quest for size, so be it.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by gino
    I have been known to use obscenities in the gym while working out. Finishing a set and mumbling something like "f*ck everyone" is not uncommon for me. I do try to keep the worst language to myself, though. I find it a lot more common now that I train to absolute failure. I guess that for me, the tougher the set, the more vocal(a.k.a. - vulgar) I become. Oh well, I'm not there to make friends and if I offend some folks in my quest for size, so be it.

*lol* Gino I am the same way......that last rep and i am very unlady-like indeed...not very loudly though, just loud enough for the iron to hear me....and anyone witin 5 feet.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

From a martial arts perspective, moaning/grunting are beneficial and will help you get that last rep out. The reason for this is that it is taught in Korean martial arts that the center of power is the Dan Jun (area two inches below the navel - or simply your center of gravity). When you moan/grunt you are breathing out forcefully and focusing your power intensely on the barbell/dumbbell for a split second.

This is why martial artists ki-hap (yell) and breathe out forcefully when they attack or block. It is way to focus the mind and body on a specific point.

It is the same principle as the 'Civic Sticker' principle...

You know, the one that indicates the more stickers you have on your Civic, the faster it is.

It doesn't REALLY matter, but it makes the individual *think* it does.

:-)

Leviathan ckeck ur pm

LOL Gino.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Paul, better watch out about the comments with the Civics.. You get in trouble around here for that stuff!

I'm allowed.

I have a 99 Civic Si.

100% stock (Well, close enough... I added a CD changer and a K&N air filter)

No stickers.

Great car. Fun to drive, handles well, gets good milage... far above anything else in the econo/sport class, IMHO. Too bad Honda didn't make enough of them.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    As long as you don't look like these guys, it's cool.

http://www.geocities.com/icyhotstuntaz

I forget where their original website is, but it's the funniest thing in the world..