Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shouting Obcenities Equals Greater Lifts?

Hybrid View

I'm sure most of you guys and gals have let out the occasional slur of profanities when lifting.

Most people, some are worse than others, moan, groan, and grunt as if they were trying to pass a heavy bowl movement.

I've read some studies that have solidfied the notion that yelling may indeed help in a maximal lift. Now placing all science to the side, my question is this.... Do we really need to show our effort of work by being vocal? Does it really help us lift heavier or aid in a completion of a lift whether it be 50 reps or 8 ?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I think it helps us get more pumped in your mind; have you ever seen martial artist about to break bricks or boards? They make a loud shout on impact; same thing as a fight, someone who is very loud and crazy will most likely win the fight, maybe that has something to do with realeasing more adrenaline?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I just say:

**** **** damn *******

And I go!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    LOL @ Maki's "bowel movement" comment (I've thought that to myself at times).

Sometimes it helps, but I think that some of the "moaners" in my gym are just trying to get attention. They seem to be the same ones who load up the bar too heavy, then do "bicep curls" while wildly swinging their butts and backs into it while looking around to see who's noticing their "impressive lifting."

But then obscenities have been known to help those sticky problems...like getting out one more rep, or getting your locked-up computer to behave, or convincing that blue-hair in the passing lane to move over...okay, well maybe it only *seems* to help

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

LOL Ice.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

a shout fair enough, but imo obsenities is kinda rude..

People shoud show some repsect for others in the weight room who find stuff like that offensive.

I would not feel right cursing when i was lifting..

I have however been know to let out the odd shout. More a noise though, not a profanitie

I only snort like a bull. Never speak.

Well, 'cept for the time I was stuck at the bottom on a squat, my spotter was being an ******* - Refused to help me up, and plucked the little support beams out of the rack so I could not set it down. He never did that again, after I recovered... but:

Yaz: Sh---fu---ugh---stuck! Help me!
    Mike: No.
    Yaz: So---ooo----dammit, motherf... ugh.
    Mike: Haha. You should see yourself.
    Yaz: MOTHERFUUUUUCKER ****ING GET IT OFF ME I'M STUCK HERE!

Rest of Gym: .....................

bone crusher
    i often grunt on my work sets. I couldn't pronounce anything like profanities. i am so tense, i can barely say "last rep" or "one more rep" lol. Usually i am horse for an hour or two after the workout as well. Maybe i am louder than i though...

*** I see no reason to avoid doing cursing, grunting, breathing hard, etc. Most exercises involve flexing of the abdomen, and/or compression of the abdomen as well and therefore generate a strong forceful breath that manifest itself as. Most of the time when i've got that swuat bar on my back or trying to row i have no idea what's coming out of my mouth in terms of words (like i said though i think i am mainly grunting)- but the sound gives me feedback on my breathing. Its helps with the rythym of the exercise **
    Last edited by the doc; 07-22-2001 at 10:15 AM.

Yaz, you should've rolled it off your back into him and made him be in pain also. Was it that one psycho that was huge and always screamed at you? If someone did that to me I'd be so f*cking pissed after I got it up I'd punch them and make them bleed

Maki...You read too much.
    Shouting may help you build up intensity...if not at least give everyone in the gym a good laugh.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

I always thought that if you are shouting or grunting like a mofo you are just trying to get ppls attention. If you can lift the weight and waste all the oxygen on things like yelling then you aren't lifting enough. You should release your breath slowly...sorta like a controlled hiss. Or that's what I do...and have read about...guess it's not a big deal either way though...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

It depends on the lift, and the moment. I have had training sessions at home, alone, where I felt really good and powerful and in the middle of a heavy set of squats I paused and screamed and cursed at the top of my lungs in order to fuel the fire. I also will grunt on my heavy set of most of the compound lifts. Nothing crazy, and not all of the time.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I usually grunt and make noise to psyche myself up before a lift. I also lift at home, so I am not being rude to anyone. During the sets, I am more like Elpietro. I let my air out slow on the concentric part of the rep.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Bahaha..... I just thought it would be hilarious to see a guy moaning while working on abduction ... Bahaha

i think its acceptable, i often find myself groaning when i am lifting more than my usual limit

and besides they do it in the movies so it must be okay

Originally posted by Hulk
    a shout fair enough, but imo obsenities is kinda rude..

People shoud show some repsect for others in the weight room who find stuff like that offensive.

I would not feel right cursing when i was lifting..

I have however been know to let out the odd shout. More a noise though, not a profanitie
    Posh Cambridge Git

lmao @ hulks "editing"
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

and I used to live in cambridge, they'll be no dissing tuttut

I think to a degree it can help, pushes you further so to speak. I sometimes can't help it on heavy sets of deads
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

*Lifts weight*

B*TCH!

Ahhh...I guess so.

Profanity in the house of growth, hang your head in shame.... blasphemers!, heathens!
    10 sets of heavy squats in repentance for you all.
    tuttut
    Keep it simple

I think that sometimes shouting may indeed help to lift more, I suppose it has to do with the mind, personally I never shout except maybe when doing squats, all the others I breath heavily.

Originally posted by c_8nOM
    Bahaha..... I just thought it would be hilarious to see a guy moaning while working on abduction ... Bahaha
    Attention all people of Asian descent:

Hilarious is not a synonym for disturbing! tuttut

*lifts weight*

YAZ THAT WAS THE STUPIDEST F*CKING JOKE YOU DUMB B*TCH!

ahem, sorry...

... Even funnier, it wasn't a joke.

... Even funnier, yo momma so ugly when she entered an ugly contest they said "sorry, no professionals".