The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Questions on the relation of muscle soreness and muscle growth

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can explain the correlation between muscle soreness after training and muscle growth.

I am now training with my brother who has trained hard for the past 10 years. Whatever he is doing works.

He is always more sore then his partners and claims its always been this way. No matter who, when or where. We train at the same intensity for the same number of reps and he is alwats very sore. (You know the can't sit down to take s**t after legs day feeling).

Is this a good thing? Is he growing more then me? Why is he more sore? We both lift to failure, work negatives etc the same.

I don't kno a whole lot about this. Can you explain

1: Why our muscles get sore?
    2: If they are really sore does that mean we had a better work out?

And tell me everyhting else about it, I am sponge soak me full of knowledge. By the way we eat the same, take the same supplements, have similar sleep and work paterns etc.

Thanks for the answers guys
    Eat Until Your Tired : Sleep Until Your Hungry

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Heres some random uneducated thoughts. You don't have to be sore to grow. Though comparing days after sore and not sure, the sore days probably got worked hard. That can be bad too, if the body is using its resource to just repair the muscle, might not be negelecting growth.
    All in all, I look at being sore as good. Legs are about the only thing I get continuely sore, and they have been progressing. Triceps once in awhile and they are progressing nice too. On the flip my back doesn't get sore and my bent over rows are progressing nice. Just my $.02.

Anyone else? Come one all physios, meds? You must have the answers!
    Eat Until Your Tired : Sleep Until Your Hungry

The primary cause of muscle soreness (DOMS) is microscopic damage to the muscle tissue followed by an inflammation induced increase in fluid in the muscle. Most of this occurs as the result of the eccentric part of lifting. If they are sore does it mean you had a better workout? Not necessarily. Personally I prefer to be a little sore but it's not necessary for growth.

As to why he gets more soreness than you do, that's hard to say. It could be because he is emphasizing the negative portion of his lifts more than you or it could just be his personal anat. & phys. It's hard to say. But it doesn't really mean he's growing more than you. A distance runner can experience very intense DOMS after a run but you don't see their legs getting huge. Actually I have a funny story that happened to one of my ex-professors about this but it's too long to tell now.

You can see that here if you're interested. I thought it was funny but I'm half nerd.

64.191.60.103/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10661&goto=nextoldest
    Last edited by Shane; 01-29-2003 at 12:39 AM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal