The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    I sweat too much..

Back pain w/o squat or deadlift

Slowly but shurly my lower back pain is increasing. Today it really got my thinking, I was sitting in class and it started to pulsate with pain on and off. The funny thing is that I don't squat or dead left at all. The only thing that I can think of is my leg press that could be the problem. Although I haven't done that for like three weeks. Also, when ever I'm on my bed it cracks significantly when I twist my hips.

Anyone have any advice on what it could be??
    The Yin and the Yang.
    - Eat until you puke, then eat some more...
    -----------------------
    5'10
    185 lbs.
    Bench: Working on it...12-13%bf

* Looking for 190 by May...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Don't know what it is man but I say get it checked ASAP!

Get it checked. Maybe you should add some light deadlift to strengthen your back. If the muscle is weak it is more likely to get strained. You don't have to do deads or squat to hurt hyour bike. Mine probablhy gets tweaked more doing overhead press then dl.
    There was seminar are at work on back pain, I missed it, but saw a write up,the guy suggested doing deadlifts to strengthen back.
    I personally feel the reason why so many people have back problems is lack of use. The muscle is weak.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Get it checked. Maybe you should add some light deadlift to strengthen your back. If the muscle is weak it is more likely to get strained. You don't have to do deads or squat to hurt hyour bike. Mine probablhy gets tweaked more doing overhead press then dl.
    There was seminar are at work on back pain, I missed it, but saw a write up,the guy suggested doing deadlifts to strengthen back.
    I personally feel the reason why so many people have back problems is lack of use. The muscle is weak.
    Good point Berserker. I hurt my back awhile ago. Couldn't walk for weeks. Slowly I started doing light deads and squats and have since worked to pretty heavy (for me anyway). Since then my back doesn't bother me at all. My doc told me if I kept doing what I was doing I likely wouldn't experience any pain since my back is stronger the the "average" person who doesn't exercise their back.

I've had lower back problems since 18, when I started doing physical work, I was couch potato before, well not that bad. Lifted through college back problems here and there. Got in a bike wreck, which didn't help my back, didn't work out for 3 years. When I started up again I deadlifted very wussy for about 8 months, thinking to condition my back. My back is better then it has been in awhile. I also stretch almost every morning. So I don't think moderate deads will hurt you.

I sweat too much..
    I'll try dead and squats for a two or three weeks, hopefully the back will shape up.

Thanks.
    The Yin and the Yang.
    -----------------------
    5'10
    185 lbs.

I would still get it checked.

I would get it checked and go light. Maybe just deadlifts for awhile. They train the back directly and probably with better form. Just my opinion.

form is very critical when dealing with lifts and back pain. i have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, and after almost a year of physical therapy was i able to get back to doing deads and squats, and im still nervous about going heavy. make sure your back and stomach are strong and tight before doing any really heavy work to failure, hate to see some further more serious damage occur.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Actually, the leg press can be a lot worst than deads or squats if you use a ROM that forces your hips to lift from the back support. At this point a huge amount of weight is placed on those last vertebraes (I can't remember their names) that can damage your back.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    What do you currently do to strengthen your low back?

Often times people will think that doing deadlifts, squats and whatnot will cause back pain, when in fact not doing exercises for your lower back will most likely cause injury.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

very true latman, gotta get the oxygen to the blood and the blood flowing to the muscles, exercise is key, not rest

I sweat too much..
    Originally posted by LATMAN
    What do you currently do to strengthen your low back?

Often times people will think that doing deadlifts, squats and whatnot will cause back pain, when in fact not doing exercises for your lower back will most likely cause injury.
    Thats what most likly of happend. When I started, I didn't know that I must pace myself.
    The Yin and the Yang.
    -----------------------
    5'10
    185 lbs.

Some ab work might not hurt either.