Thread: Muscles Shaking?

Wannabebig Member

Muscles Shaking?

Seeing how I'm in the extreme beginning stages of my new, bodybuilding lifestyle, I feel this is a normal reaction from my shocked muscles but I figured I'd ask anyhow.

Tonight during my Tricep exercises, my arms started shaking like crazy. They're still kinda trembling right now (about 10 minutes later). I know I'm not using too much weight and my muscles were warmed up and stretched by that time. I guess my muscles are just freaking out because they're not used to this? Is this a common reaction for the beginning stages?

Monday was Leg Day and I loved it! I didn't have any problems. (Although I'm surprised that I'm feeling more sore today than I was yesterday and Monday).

Here is my routine that I did today:

Chest

Bench Press - Flat: 3 sets, 8 reps
    Dumbbell Fly - Bench: 2 sets, 8 reps

Shoulders

Dumbbell Overhead Press: 2 sets, 8 reps
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 2 sets, 8 reps

Triceps

Dumbbell Skull Crusher: 2 sets, 8 reps
    Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension: 2 sets, 8 reps

Thanks,
    Tom

Its normal for your muscles to shake at times as a beginner, your muscles are just not accustomed to the weight/excercise.. Once your at it for a while, they shouldnt shake as violently, or depending on your body, stop completely

btw, your routine is very solid. Good choice of excercises
    Last edited by tallnskinny; 01-29-2003 at 09:38 PM.

Back at it
    The shaking is a GOOD thing... congrats. Also, if you're doing the routine you listed you certainly shouldn't be overtraining so they arn't a result of overexhausting the muscles.

As time progresses your body shouldn't shake as much. I used to have the same thing happen to me.

I recall the same thing happening to my leg muscles after being on crutches for eight weeks. Like everyone else said, it's because your muscles just aren't accustomed to it.

I get the shakes on the squat and leg extension. Espically the leg extension, hey your muscle are working real hard. Congradulations now you no you are really pushing them.
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

I'll work out one day, two hours later be home checking my email and my muscles twitch alot just like they are mentioning. I thought it was cuz I was taking too much supplements but I guess it's normal.

Hey Calipso ,I get that too
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Man can I relate, hit the leg x up for the last set of my quads today and could barely walk out of the gym without shaking myself over. And the twitching too, I hate it, I've had it for over 5 hours in my chest and bicep.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    My muscles never shake but on very heavy (single) negatives(especially weighted chin-ups) and sometimes my legs shake a little bit.

IMO I wouldn't call shaking a good thing, neither it's bad thing: shaking is just shaking. Like I said I almost never shake and get good progress from my low volume high intensity routine.

My muscles used to often twitch too, especially the left eyelid muscle (it's weird cuz the left side of my face seems stronger than the right side... ), but it didn't happen for a while... maybe since I take a daily multivitamin.
    Last edited by Bruise Brubaker; 01-30-2003 at 07:11 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear that it's normal!

I find it interesting that almost all day today (Thursday) I wasn't feeling sore. That is until late-afternoon when it all of a sudden kicked in! Mainly the outer sides of my chest. My Tri's, interestingly enough, don't hurt nearly as much. It's not debilitating pain or anything but I'm hoping it won't interfere with tomorrow's routine which is Back and Biceps day.

This is tomorrow's routine:

Back
    Deadlift: 3 sets, 8 reps
    Barbell Row: 2 sets, 8 reps
    Pull Up: 2 sets, 8 reps

Biceps
    Barbell Curl: 2 sets, 8 reps
    Dumbbell Concentration Curl: 2 sets, 8 reps

Thanks again for the replies,
    Tom

I usually get the shakes in my arms right after doing curls, bench presses, etc. Quite a good feeling actually. Makes me feel like I pushed myself hard.