Thread: I wish to lose about 3% BF and not halt my muscle growth

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

I wish to lose about 3% BF and not halt my muscle growth

Here is the deal. I am 5'11, 155, and have a 32 inch waist. I am around 14% BF.

A couple weeks ago I started a routine where I was walking/running 1 mile per day, and working out five days a week. Each work out day I would alternate. The only muscles I was working more than 1 time a week was my chest and abs.

I would like to see my abs, and I know chizzeling the abs would also make my chest look more carved....

However I still want to keep gaining muscle and getting bigger arms(and other areas)

The week I was doing the above routine I could tell I was losing some fat but I felt like I was hardly gaining muscle, and I was acually losing a couple pounds of weight. I wasn't eating enough food and I was not able to keep muscle while loosing weight.

So since then I have kept the lifting routine up but went back to eating more. Now I feel like I'm gaining muscle and my weight is stable.

How can I lose weight while gaining muscle????

This sh-t seems impossible....

Help me out please

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Back at it
    Unfortunatly you'll find yourself in a situation similar to driving in reverse and forward in a car at the same time if you try to add LBM and cut BF. It is not feasible without the use of anabolics (don't get any ideas...) to lose bodyfat and gain LBM unless you have some crazy genetics. For some, such as a friend of mine and BCC of WBB (for a local example), maintaining a low BF while still increasing LBM is possible. But the key word here is MAINTAINING... not lose BF.

I suppose if you're a newbie it's possible to gain a little weight while dropping fat, but you wont develop a ripped midsection, 17" arms, and 54" shoulders while dropping BF at the same time. It's either bulk or cut.

I'd say you should just bulk and plan on cutting after some time.
    Last edited by GIS; 01-29-2003 at 11:02 PM.

Will I lose muscle when I began to knock off fat???
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Back at it
    Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    Will I lose muscle when I began to knock off fat???
    You'll most likely lose a little... but by no means all.

Welcome to the most difficult part about getting in shape. It takes such a perfect combination to add mass and then lose fat for most of us that many just give up. Read and research as much as you can and you'll find out what is best.

thanks a lot man

it seems the more I read and research the more confused i get....
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Back at it
    Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    thanks a lot man

it seems the more I read and research the more confused i get....
    Just keep with it. Educate yourself and train hard while eating right and thigns will gradually progress.

There are quite a few open-ended statements I made, but for the most part what I said should be enough for you to get the main point. For example, it is possible to lose all your muscle gains if you don't cut right. It's a delicate balance of caloric and protein intake combined with training.

At any rate, read all the WBB articles and sift through the posts. It'll take a while but just plug along and ask questions when they arise. Just make sure to do a search of the forums on a topic before asking a question... chances are it's already been discussed.

As to wether you should bulk or cut, I don't agree with all the people that say to bulk first. Need to decide where you at. What your goals are. I am bulking now, after cutting. I am not real happy with the fat I've gained, not a ton, but the jeans are tight. When I cut this spring I am gonna go lower then I was before, so when I bulk next time I will be at weight I am happy with. I hope I don't sound to much like a chic.
    In your case with the time a year I might bulk for 1-2 months. You have to look in the mirror and decide. Also what I might do is eat a little over maintance for awhile, you will gain muslce, and not much fat. Up to you.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It is quite possible to lose a lot of fat and gain a good deal of muscle at the same time. However you must either be relatively new to training or on steroids. If you are a newbie and diet and train correctly, you could achieve the goals headlined in your post with relative ease compared to someone who's been training several years.