The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What the heck is a bench shirt?

^^^ Just like it says.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it is this tight tight ass shirt that allows you to bench like 50 or 60lbs (I think thats how much) more than your regular max. It really increases your max bench press quite a bit.

a hella tight shirt some powerlifters wear to help with their bench.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

How can a shirt do that?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I would imagine that its really stiff :P
    limits flexibility and would act like a dampener for any weight

I don't know, but I know it is true. My buddy lost a bench press competition to a dude that had one.

whats it made of ?

A bench shirt is a VERY tight fritting shirt. You can get either a poly or a denim. The amount of weight that you can lift is dependent on the thickness of the shirt. A single ply will give you about 30lbs, a double will give you abtou 40-60, and a triple ply can add as much as 70-90lbs to your max.

WTF? I'm totally confused. First, how the hell can a shirt give you a huge edge like that? Second, how the hell can a 14 year old bench 250???

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

*buys a triple ply shirt
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    if benching shirts can help you up to 70 lbs... why do they allow these in contests? Why can't they just ban the benching shirts, and have everybody's bench go down by 70 or wutever lbs??? it would even out... wouldnt it???

beercan
    It already is evened out, because everyone is allowed to use them.

Also, there are no absolutes. Nobody in this thread is going to order a triple demin shirt and start breaking records, or even locking out the weight it would take to touch thier chest.

I personally am only able to bench with a pause about 5 lbs more in a shirt than I can touch and go raw.
    Last edited by Santiago; 01-31-2003 at 05:38 AM.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Triple ply shirts are for people who bench over 600 lbs. Double ply, you better be doing over 400 lbs. And the amount they add to your lift is not static from lifter to lifter. Some people get a ton of help out of a shirt, some don't get much of anything. It just depends.

Shirts are allowed in competition. They help you lift big weights, true, but they also drastically reduce the amount of injuries to the pecs and shoulders you would otherwise have with people trying to bench huge weights.

The shirt is very tight across the chest, shoulders and arms, and it takes a significant amount of bar weight for the bar to even get down to the chest. I have a double ply shirt right now that won't let me touch anything less than 500 lbs to my chest, and I don't wear my shirts particularly tight.

They are made by Inzer, Karen's Powerwear, Crain's, Titan and Frantz.

B.

Are they worth getting for your everyday bench routine?

No, probably not. Unless you intend to compete as a powerlifter they are an unnecessary expense.

B.

Hmmm...

If you are benching heavy and always seem to start running into shoulder issues as you approach the 400llb range I'm wondering if this might not be a bad thing to look into.

Speaking of that: is anyone aware of anything besides these shirts that add a degree of protection to the wussy shoulders for heavy lifts?

My pecks and tri's laugh at the weight that makes my shoulders cry. Not sure if it's just past injuries like a mild seperation playing ball or if most folks are this way. I know a lot of guys I talk to who lift about as heavy as I do whine about their shoulders.

Anyone lifting 400 lbs or anywhere close to it, is likely going to be dealing with shoulder issues. A single ply poly will take care of much of the shoulder issues. I would go with open back tho, as this will make it lots easier to get in and out of.

B.

My bench is totally RAW. I don't have a bench shirt. I ordered one, but it is much to small.

I'm thinking about getting get a Inzer Heavy Duty Blast single ply shirt.

Does anybody know how well this one compares to others?
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Wannabebig Member
    As a 400 bencher,there isnt a workout that goes by where i dont have shoulder and tendonitis pains.I have never had ona shirt or took any gear.But after the 400# barrier.the gear and shirt would probaly be required to bench beyond 400.By the way..are there a lot of guys who have benched 400 without a shirt or never done a cycle?
    Last edited by xpack; 01-31-2003 at 07:44 PM.

Why do bench shirts increase your bench upwards of 70 lbs? Benchmonster points out that they restrict the weight when it comes down but how does that give you more power to push the bar up? Is it that because you can't bring it down to your chest, it is an easier lift?
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

I would like to see a picture of this miracle shirt.
    Anyone got one?
    Train.

By the way..are there a lot of guys who have benched 400 without a shirt or never done a cycle?

dunno,but that is one of my goals since i have started training again just after christmas.

Ill post a clip of it if i can do it,but it will be a few months though.

PS.Im not sure if my vector 7 bench in my bedroom can handle it though,might have to go down the gym.(actually not sure if my body can handle it either)
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-01-2003 at 04:34 AM.
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 210
    BF: plenty
    Chest: 46"
    Arms:18"
    Thighs:29" now down to 28"
    Calves: 17.5"

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

beercan
    Originally posted by dkliewer
    I'm thinking about getting get a Inzer Heavy Duty Blast single ply shirt.

Does anybody know how well this one compares to others?
    You should get the fury, it's about the same price, and has gotten much better reviews.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Wannabebig Member
    i HIGHLY disagrree with your quote abou gym lifts.I f you can do the lift without any help then itcounts regardless of the circumstances.