The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sweet. I'll probably order a Single-ply Titan. I wish I could get it two weeks in time for my meet.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

I think some people are having problems realizing that powerlifting is a sport, and that this equipment is a part of it.

It has nothing to do with bodybuilding, so you can't apply the same values to it. All that matters is the amount you put up that is approved by judges using whatever you can within the limit of the rules.

So saying you prefer to bench raw in the context of powerlifting doesn't really mean much, since this equipment is part of the sport. It's like an outfielder saying he'd prefer to play without a glove, sure he could do it, but he wouldn't be as effective and probably wouldn't go anywhere in the sport.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I think some people are having problems realizing that powerlifting is a sport, and that this equipment is a part of it.

It has nothing to do with bodybuilding, so you can't apply the same values to it. All that matters is the amount you put up that is approved by judges using whatever you can within the limit of the rules.

So saying you prefer to bench raw in the context of powerlifting doesn't really mean much, since this equipment is part of the sport. It's like an outfielder saying he'd prefer to play without a glove, sure he could do it, but he wouldn't be as effective and probably wouldn't go anywhere in the sport.
    This says it better than I could have done. Great post.

Oh, and Chris Mason, you are absolutely correct. The shirt I wear in a contest does help a lot. I don't know if I came accross as saying the shirt does not help. I did not mean to come accross that way. If I did, I was wrong. Shirts help you bench more if you know how to use them and train to aid in the parts of the lift where the shirt does not help, which is about the top half of so of the press, for me.

It takes about 500 for me to touch in my tightest competition shirt. The reason the shirt helps is that the shirt is compressing my body and squeezing my shoulders together on the way down. This has 2 effects. The squeezed shoulders do not tend to get hurt as often as they otherwise would, and also, your body tends to want to return to its former shape, thus helping you rebound out of the bottom of the press, which is by far the hardest part of the press when going RAW (shirtless).

And to whomever out there it was that thinks that going double bodyweight plus in the bench is not impressive merely because the presser was wearing a shirt, try to put 2.3 times your bodyweight on the bar and even hold it at arm's length with your elbows locked. I bet not many here can do that.

And the ones who can are rarely going to be the ones talking smack about it.

B.

beercan
    Originally posted by xpack
    this is the worst form of cheating there is.
    How is it cheating, if it's within the rules of the organazition?

Because you say it is?

Nothing pisses me off more than statements like this.

What you're saying is absurd. To steal from ELp's analogy, saying bench shirts are cheating is like saying a baseball player using a mitt is cheating. Sure, he couldn't catch as many or as diffcult balls, and he'd hurt his hand without it, but legal=not cheating.

Now if you called someone that snuck a blast shirt under his t shirt at a raw meet a cheater, I'd be right there with you.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

I'm gonna order the fury, but I was wondering if I should get the normal fit or the competiton fit. Which one?
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

comp fit.
    The comp fit is just a size smaller then the normal fit.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style