Thread: powerlifting routine for beginner?

powerlifting routine for beginner?

i've been bodybuilding for awhile and would like to give powerlifting a try. i have been doing some research(internet, forums, monstermuscle) and it is somewhat different than bodybuilding. ie rep schemes, exercises, etc. i looked into westside training but do not have the equiment do be doing all those different exercises like bands and chains, sled, different squat bars. i do have free weights and dumbells, cables, pullup, dip, squat, and most bodybuilding equip. i am also having a hard time finding a good routine for a beginner that has never powerlifted before. Can anybody offer some help with a detailed routine. Thank you.

Well, go to my journal and look at my routine. It is very simple because all I have is a barbell, 300# of weight, a bench, and a power rack. Its simple for anyone, but it works great.

Try Westside. You don't need all the extra equipment. Check out the first post in my journal for a great beginner routine.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Like they said, you don't really need all the extra equipment it helps, but you don't need it. You just have to improvise. It looks like you have about as much equipment as I do and I train Westside.

Here is what I used to start out with:
    Basic Training Program

Read all the articles you can at Elitefts.com and train smart.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    How much experience do you have with the 3 lifts? You may want to start out for a few weeks of just having a squat day, bench day and deadlift day. Make sure your form is down and work your way up for a few weeks. If you feel comfortable, have a max day after 3-4 weeks. Then, use those maxes as guidelines when figuring out your routine.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

thanks everyone for all the response. it has been very helpful. i have been doing all 3 lifts in my bodybuilding routine. i have never maxed though. i will try some the routine and i have been reading elite fitness systems page and gotten a subscription to monstermuscle. i feel like a total beginner trying to get into powerlifting with all the different theories, stances, high set low rep, etc. but it sounds like it's a lot of fun and i cant wait to start. there is so much to learn. im also surprise that we have so many bros doing powerlifting on this board. thanx for the input.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I started strength training/powerlifting about 16 months ago. Before that I was doing mostly crappy BB routines from Flex, lol. I competed in my first meet in March last year and have competed in 4 more since then. It's very addicting and a ton of fun. Good luck with it and ask as many questions as you like.

Powerlifting=ace!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Spend some time working on form on your lifts.

I'd go with a 3 day (squat, bench, dead) routine, with accessory stuff in there (kinda like a bodybuilding split, more sets of the 3 main lifts, and less sets of the additional stuff).

Keep at that for a couple of months, and have someone check your form.

Then test some maxes, and figure out what kind of training you think you would like to do.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I agree with Latman and Paul. One day for each lift. Here are some good one lift a day 3 day PL routines to get some ideas from:

http://www.purepower.iwarp.com/intermediate.html

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength...s/manrodt4.htm (look at the second routine in this article)
    "Load the bar, do the set, forget about it until the next workout. It's not rocket surgery."
    - Dan Martin

"Pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."
    - Henry Rollins

i decided to go with tman's routines. i basically combined the 2. i am planning on working it into a 8 week periodization. i'm starting off with 8-10 reps and decreasing it every 2 weeks (6-8, 4-6, 3, 2) i felt that i was not ready for the 5x5. does that look right? also as i decrease my reps should i increase my sets? i was also wondering how long i should rest in between my work sets? thanx for everybody's help.