The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Is is true that Dumbbell Side Bend's will make you wider??

Ok, I got a little layer of fat I'm trying to knock off on the sides. I know you cannot spot reduce..... but I've heard this exercise

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BSideBend.html

is good for to tone the sides up.

However I then heard somewhere that it will make you wider, and I do not want to be wider in the waist section. So which is true. I also like to do this exercise without weights at home, is this gonna help or hurt my process of losing the mini love handles.

thanks
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dont do side bends

Originally posted by tony touch
    dont do side bends
    Why?
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Back at it
    I'm also against side bends. They tend to result in back pain (with myself and other's I've talked to) and there are exercises that are just as effective at work the obliques.

That is a possibility. It just helps everyone out if one explains their stance rather than say, "don't do side bends," and not give any reason or explanation. Thanks.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

i do side bends and i feel fine with them...maybe dont use a real heavy weight if back becomes an issue
    Skillz

I got low back pain when I had side bends and Russian twists in my routine. I didn't figure out which one caused the pain, or if it was both of them.

I've read somewhere before (can't remember where) not to bend sideways and twist (rotate) at the same time. Anybody got any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by Delphi; 02-01-2003 at 07:36 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I think it's the same with anything, some people aren't suited to some exercises. I'm fine doing side bends, other people find them uncomfortable. If you can do them without any pain then yes, they're a good exercise for the obliques.

As for them making your waist wider, any size gain will be pretty negligable. If you really built your obliques up by doing side bends for a year, you might put on half an inch or something.

The thing which affects your waist size more than anything is the amount of fat you carry, pure and simple. If you want to lose your love handles you need to lose fat, and side bends aren't an efficient way of doing that. They'll strengthen the muscles, but for losing fat you need to look at your diet, your cardio activity, and your entire weights routine.

3:16
    personally i do not do them, but i do lots of big compound exercise like squats, deads, over head presses.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by Delphi
    I got low back pain when I had side bends and Russian twists in my routine. I didn't figure out which one caused the pain, or if it was both of them.

I've read somewhere before (can't remember where) not to bend sideways and twist (rotate) at the same time. Anybody got any thoughts on that?
    Yeah, the torsion is thought to be bad for the intervertebral disks.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

a thick midsectioon might b functional but for me, it takes away from my v-taper greatly. i have to be careful that squats and deads dont this either but i still do them and try to keep my bodyfat pretty low.