The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My Workout Stinks...I'm lost

Hi Guys I'm hoping you all can help me out. I'm 18 years old...lifted weights in high school and now have been working out steadily since October. I'm about 6' 165. My bench max is between 190-200. Heres the problem.....I've been working to get bigger muscle mass and strenght. At first my workout was ok but not great...so I consulted w/a personel trainer. In November he gave me a new workout and promised in 4-6 weeks I would look and feel bigger. This workout called for to do chest/tri one day, shoulder/legs another, and bicept/back another. One day I would do the workout at 3/8..another 3/6....and so on and so on. At first, I was getting encouraged because I felt bigger and stronger. Then, my body quit responding and I felt as though I hadn't lifted a weight. The trainer to me to not worry, but this pattern continued...so I talked with another trainer. I was told to start a new heavy workout to "shock" my body. It called for 4 sets of 6 on bench, incline, squat, arm curl, tricept pull down, shoulder press, and chest raise. Again the same problem happened...I felt VERY strong a few times...and VERY Weak Afterwards. The trainer then suggested I try a protein whey supplemnt and go to a reverse pyramid. I did. The first 3 workouts of my reverse pyramid were great...I looked and felt like I was really strong. Then on the next workout my body did not respond, I looked a weakling. I tried to subsite in new excersies(lats for chest raise, tri pull down for push down), but again my body looked awful. Now I do a pyramid one day followed by a reverse pyramid...but I'm about to give up. I've done everything the trainers have said, I get good rest, rotate weight and machines, and even took a supplement. All of these have failed...I AM NO stronger and not any bigger or muscular then when I started. Its humilating, I worked hard and spent so much money and have nothing...nothing to show for it. I'm ready to quit...I was told in 4 to 6 six weeks I'd be big 12 weeks ago. My insityt and form are great. But this pattern continues...1 weekI gain mass and strngth, the next I gain nothing and cancel all the gains from the prior week. One week I am strong as anything...the next I look I never lifted. The trainers have failed me...I'm starting to think I was meant to look weak. I need your help, this means so much to me, yet I've run out of hope. 3 months of working out, my friends have made gains, but I've got nothing. Why, no matter what, has my body not consistently built anything, instead mixing good gains(in mass) with mad to leave me nothing? Whatever you can say would really help me....I'm just so dissapointed. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Diet, dude. By the sounds of it, you're a tall guy and fairly light. If you're not eating enough, you can work out with all the intensity in the world, and you'll just be spinning your wheels. Without enough calories, the extra intensity is probably causing as much catabolism (muscle loss) as it is providing stimulus for growth. Give us some idea of what you're eating, down to portion size.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

you might be surprised to know that you probably know more about bodybuilding than your personal trainer. most trainers (especially from my experience of eavesdropping), dont know ****. trainers lie worse than the supplement bottles about promising results. Belial hit it, diet is key. let us know what youre eating. and if you havent seen any results, eat alot more of it. keep a journal of what you eat, i used to think i was pigging out on food, then i wrote down everything i ate and it barely reached 2800 calories.

I am just like you size-wise. I am 6, 160 right now, but when I was lifting hard, I was able to get from 145 to 170 in about 4 months time. Main thing is to eat anything in sight. Because my metabolism is so fast and it doesn't seem as though i gain weight easily, I eat any kind of food. Even if you're not really hungry, force down a little more. I am doing the wbb 1 routine, with a little variation, but that works awesome. I also take creatine and protein. Just once a day after my workout on lifting days, and in the morning on off days. I don't even take anything on the weekends. You gotta make sure that you go hard and to failure every single set.

If anyone has some suggestions for me, I'm open for it too.

Good Luck!
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

Ok..here is a normal diet for me:
    Breakfast: 2 bowls of cereal or oatmeal....sometimes I'll add in a crossant or orange/bannana...................sometimes I'll just have three pancakes.........I'll always have Orange Juice
    Lunch: Usually a sandwich like bacon or chicken soup w/chips....or I may have leftover dinner
    Snack: Pinnapples/appelsauce
    Dinner: Its the biggest meal in my family....usually burgers, steak, pasta, pizza.....I usually have 1-2 burgers, 1-2 steaks, 1-2 dishes of pasta, or 3-4 slices of pizza...sometimes a dessert

Now for me, I have no idea how many calories I need to consume in order to make the muscle gains I want in apperance/strength. I don't know how many calories this is. I'm afraid that if I eat more....I may not get stronger and instead just be fatter. I'll say this though........my bench has not gotten stronger in 2 years..despite working out and changing...is it my diet? Why does it matter so much? What modifications should I make to my eating....and I know that dinner isn't supposed to be the biggest meal. I am just not sure how much I need to eat and what I need to eat...and how big/soon this will affect my mass. Thanks guys.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    you didn't mention much protein there bro

especially in the morning and before bed

the good news is that this site is the best TEAM of trainers you could find anywhere...

enjoy

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Well, hard to tell, but... breakfast is maybe 400-600 calories, lunch is 300-400 unless you have leftovers, snack is another 100... which means that, since you should be aiming for AT LEAST 3500 a day (given your troubles), dinner needs to be 2500. Somehow I doubt you're getting that every night. Eat more during the day! Take this to the diet section, throw yourself at people's feet, we'll see what we can do for you.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I started out at about the same weight, and I'm only an inch taller than you, so I can understand how you feel.

Don't fall for the personal trainer bs when they say you'll be "bigger" in 4-6 weeks. I've gained 50 pounds in the last 11 months (thanks mostly to the things I've read on this site), and I still don't feel "big". I've gone from skinny and damn weak, to being "normal". It's going to take a lot of time for you to get where you want, and you may never even "feel" big even when you get there.

One measure you should be paying attention to is progressing in what you lift, and in what you weigh. When these aren't progressing, something is wrong with your routine or your diet. I agree with others in that your diet needs some improvement. For those of us who are (were) pretty underweight, that can be the hardest part. Do some serious reading here and see how other people's questions have been answered.

Once you get your diet in order, chances are you'll start progressing in your routine.

B

What diet should I have? I am going to workout tomorrow...heres what I planned:
    Pyramid......bench, incline, decline, shoulder press, row, lats, arm curl, tri-push down, and fly
    if you have any suggestions about this workout or a new one or any diet that can get me started to my goal PLEASE TELL ME. Thanks.

A Fortnight Dead
    Ok.

First, get a solid routine (the WBB routines work well).

Second, thou shalt SQUAT.

Third, look through the journals here for diet information.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

I looked at those workouts...but where do I fit? I've lifted for some time...but stuck at a platuea? What one should I do...does this mean ditch my pyramid plan? I've really lost confidence since I've tried 6 workouts..so I don't want to get nothing again. Thanks...and I do squat once a week.

A Fortnight Dead
    They'll work fine for you. Trust me.

Just start tomorrow. You'll be glad you did.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

I think everybody's covered just about everything. You seem to be lacking protein in your diet. Try to get about 1-1.5 g of protein/lb of bw in. Spread your meals and cals out into 6 meals a day. Get some complex carbs in and lift hard...real hard. The intensity of your lifts is perhaps sometimes more important than any specific routine you have. Someone once told me that intensity produces results...eat and attack it. You'll be past that plateau in no time.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Is this good intensity or not? Usually when I workout I have hard time finishing my bench and shoulder. When I do reverse pyramids, I can do my set of 6 at 165 pretty good(5 w/no help)...but when I get down to a set of 10 at 135...I can only manage 7!!!!! This is a recurring theme...muscle failure. The same happens on shoulder press...I've lowered it many times yet still fail to complete sets. On other things like arm curl/push-down/row....I used to feel a burn...but despite raising the weights I fell NO senstaion or pumping. Why? What can I do to finish my sets strongly and feel pumped too?

Guys...I didn't go to the gym today...I'm so tired of going there and feeling like crap....its really discourging...but I have tomorrow planned out. This is what I plane to do and eat....PLEASE let me know if this is right.

Wake-Up 9 AM...for breakfast eat 2 bowls oatmeal and 2 eggs
    Gym 10:30......3 sets of 8 at 145 on bench, 3 sets of 8 decline hammer, 3 sets of 8 decline incline, 3 sets of 8 tri-push downs, 3 sets of 8 arm curl, 3 sets of 8 lat pull down, and 3 sets of 8 row......................................thats the plan.....any good?

Pick a good routine from this site and stick with it. I warm up then do heaviest set, next set 10lbs lighter. The wbb1 routines are 6-8 reps. Try every week to do another rep or more weight. I would usually do 1 rep a week when I got 8 next week add 5-10 pounds. Try five, if its to easy add 10 the next time until 10 is to hard then add 5. The 6-8 range has been good for me to build strength.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by rodent500
    Guys...I didn't go to the gym today...I'm so tired of going there and feeling like crap....its really discourging...but I have tomorrow planned out. This is what I plane to do and eat....PLEASE let me know if this is right.

Wake-Up 9 AM...for breakfast eat 2 bowls oatmeal and 2 eggs
    Gym 10:30......3 sets of 8 at 145 on bench, 3 sets of 8 decline hammer, 3 sets of 8 decline incline, 3 sets of 8 tri-push downs, 3 sets of 8 arm curl, 3 sets of 8 lat pull down, and 3 sets of 8 row......................................thats the plan.....any good?
    As far as your diet goes, go to the diet forum and people can help you with that. As far as your workout goes I would NOT do incline, flat and decline bench in the same session. Do two at most. As for tris do only one set, they have been hit hard in the chest session. Don't do back on the same day you do chest. I suggest you go to the routines forum and check out wbb2.