Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yearís Evolutions

Wannabebig Member

New Yearís Evolutions

Hello. Iíve been reading these forums for a month or so now, particularly some of the journals, and what Iíve seen has inspired me to start my own. Iíve been pleasantly surprised by how supportive and pleasant people are, so despite being an unimpressive lifter I thought ďwhy notĒ. All Iíd say is, please be gentle!

A little information about me anyway.. well OK, a lot of information. Sorry if it bores you! Iím planning on writing pretty detailed journal entries for my own benefit in future, so I may as well start as I mean to go on.

• MeÖ
      Iím a 27 year old male, 6í 3Ē tall and currently weighing a shade over 200lbs. Body-fat is somewhere in the 15-16% region. I only have access to a set of scales which measure fat, no calipers or anything, so the figures arenít terribly accurate, but I hope that by measuring regularly Iíll at least be able to get an accurate picture of whether Iím gaining/losing fat.

I havenít taken any girth measurements at the moment, but I will remedy that sometime this week. Likewise, I have no photos but will hopefully upload some in the near future. Iíll apologise in advance as Iím not exactly male-model material, but Iím hoping it will be a form of motivation to see progress visually as well as on the scales.

Iím also an insulin-dependant diabetic, currently taking 8-10 injections per day (totalling approx. 140iu per day). This will limit my goals slightly, as I will be unable to cut past a certain point (I need enough subcutaneous fat to inject myself). However, I believe that point will be somewhere around 10%, which Iíll be more than happy with anyway (thatís far leaner than I am at present!)

Aside from the insulin I donít / wonít be using any drugs.
    • TrainingÖ
      Iíve trained in the past, off and on, but never taken it seriously enough to make any substantial progress. After a long period of doing virtually no exercise, I decided to train again and have been lifting for three months now. Iíve taken it slowly, starting off with light weights and gradually increasing them while concentrating on good form. Although Iím not lifting a lot now, the weights Iím moving are heavy enough for me that I find them challenging, and every workout now feels productive.

Currently I lift twice per week at a friendís house. Weíll be changing our routine soon, but will continue to concentrate on the big basic lifts. I may supplement these two workouts with another session at home, training the smaller exercises Ė grip work and forearms, ab work, rotator cuff etc. Iíll see how things go after we change the routine, and add this day if I think itís necessary.
    • DietÖ
      My diet is reasonable at the moment, but not great. I eat plenty of healthy foods, but supplement it with absolute crap too. Iím going to cut out most of the crap and swap in more fruit, vegetables, and decent proteins. I bought a blender/juicer, so hopefully thatíll make it easier to have good "snacks". I doubt Iíll become a total food fanatic, and will probably still eat crap occasionally, but Iím planning to closely record what I eat for a while so that I can at least control my caloric intake. I should really do this for my diabetes anyway, so thatís two incentives.

The only supplement I take is cod liver oil, which Iíve taken for years anyway. I may try supplements in the future, but may not Ė if I find I can gain without them I wonít bother.
    • GoalsÖ
      My goal over the long-term is to put on a decent amount of muscle, and be reasonably lean. Pretty vague, but there you go. To be more specific, Iíve set the date of 24th July 2004 to get to 10% body-fat (or as close as I can get while still being able to inject comfortably), while adding as much muscle as possible Ė hopefully 20lbs or so. I donít know if thatís realistic or not, but weíll see. After that, Iíll set some new targets and go for them.

In the shorter term, Iím currently trying to gain weight (I donít like to call it "bulking" because Iím not trying to pack on loads in a short period; just a gradual gain). Iíll probably have a four-week "cut" around Easter (again, not a full-on dump-a-stone-per-week affair, just an attempt to lose some fat). Iíll then try to gain for a while before "cutting" in the summer. After that, Iíll be trying to gain weight throughout the winter.

As I say, Iím not talking about drastic swings from "bulk" to "cut"; itíll just be a case of trying to gain muscle at a steady rate, and losing some of the inevitable fat build-up every few months. Sometime in the spring 2004, Iíll hopefully start a real fat-loss period, and that will be my first really conscious effort to get lean. I'll start this sometime between April and May, depending how much fat I have to lose.

Iíll post todayís workout now, and continue to post workouts and random thoughts, dietary information as regularly as I can.

Wish me luck; this is about my 6th attempt to train seriously enough to make real progress, but as they say ďI have a good feeling about thisÖĒ

Wannabebig Member
    Trained at 9:30am, Sunday 5th January 2003.

Note: All weights are in kilosÖ

• Squats:
      60 x 8 | 65 x 8 | 75 x 15 | 75 x 15
    • One-arm DB Row:
      24 x 8 | 31.5 x 8 | 31.5 x 8
    • SLDL:
      50 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 90 x 8
    • DB Curls:
      14 x 8 | 16.5 x 8 | 19 x 8 + 1 (Hammer curls)

Overall, a decent workout. Squats arenít at my ďfull-onĒ weight yet; I realised a month or so ago that I had been cheating and cutting them short of parallel. So I dropped the weight right back, and am now slowly building it up while making sure I hit parallel every rep. They still felt pretty hard, but not ďall outĒ effort.

DB Rows were good, nice control and good form throughout. Likewise the SLDLís felt good, and although itís a slightly lighter weight than Iíve managed before, they felt more in control. I think Iíll start to inch my way up from here and keep the form tight.

Curls were great; no cheating even on the final reps, only a very slight assist with #9, and that was my first time trying 19ís Ė I was expecting to get 5 or 6 reps, so 9 was excellent. Iíll try the 19ís for my second set of regular curls next time in addition to the hammers.

Food:
    I havenít started to monitor my food properly yet (tomorrow will be the first day I do this). Pretty crap today actually: no breakfast; fruit and protein shake post-workout; lean beef, potato and veg for lunch; chocolate in the afternoon; eggs, bread and char sui with rice for dinner. Blame relatives.

Water intake was poor, maybe 1.5-2 litres (I usually drink maybe 3-4). Blame relatives again.

Sleep:
    7 hours last night, but I had a very restful Saturday so I still felt fine when I woke up.

Question:
    Should I convert my weights into pounds? I just realised that virtually everyone records in pounds, whereas the plates I use are kilos. Is it worth converting or not?

Thatís about it, only my first workout record so Iíve probably forgotten something but never mind. Next workout isnít until Thursday, but Iíll post food info before then and maybe some measurements if I get a chance (and can find my tape measure).

Should I convert my weights into pounds? I just realised that virtually everyone records in pounds, whereas the plates I use are kilos. Is it worth converting or not?
    Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us can convert it in our heads if not there are plenty of online converters. Do whatever is easiest for you. After all this is your journal. We want to help you where we can but you'll find and online journal will be really beneficial for you.

That being said: Welcome to WBB and congratulations on starting your journal. Keep it up and we'll all see the transformation. Good luck with it man. Nice posting too by the way!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Great start with the journal, and good luck reaching your goals. I have found that a journal is an excellent motivational tool.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm, not the best start for my journal Ė I start it off, then the next day the forums die. Is someone trying to tell me something?

Anyway, here are some entries for the last couple of days.

Monday 6th January 2003

Decent food day today, lacking a bit in fruit but otherwise good. I tried a Myoplex shake in the morning for the first and last time Ė nice taste, but bugger me it was thick! I felt like I needed a hammer and chisel to get into it, and had to use a sink plunger to force it down my throat. I think Iíll stick to blending protein powder into milk and fruit; far easier to swallow, and tastes just as good. Luckily Iíd gotten one sachet to try before buying a box.

Anyway, throughout the day I had a few beef, tuna and chicken sandwiches (granary or whole-wheat bread, no mayo or butter) and a little tuna-and-pasta salad. Not ideal, but not too bad and the best the local shops had to offer (as I couldnít take any food to work with me for various reasons. Laziness being the main one.)

Evening meal was lean beef, potato, and veg; then a blend of semi-skimmed milk, banana, and protein powder a couple of hours later.

Total intake was about 220g protein, 380g carbs, 65g fat, 3000kcal.

Water intake was fine, something like 4 litres.

Iím hoping to note what I eat for a couple of weeks and see what my weight does during that time. Iíd be happiest with a moderate but steady gain (maybe three pounds per month or so), so Iíll adjust up or down as needed. If I need to eat more itíll probably be extra milk or fruit, adding it gradually until I start to gain. If Iím putting on weight too fast and need to cut anything itíll probably be by having smaller portions for my evening meal; thatís by far my largest feed of the day right now.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks very much for the messages bradley and HomeYield - hopefully I'll become a regular around here, I'm certainly thinking the journal will help on those odd occasions when motivation can falter a bit. Cheers for the encouragment!

Wannabebig Member
    Tuesday 7th January 2003

My fianceís birthday today, so the food thing kinda went a bit pear-shaped in the evening.

Day-time was pretty good; milk, a little fruit, cold meat sandwiches (without butter or mayo again). By the time we went out in the evening Iíd probably had around 1600 cals and 120g protein. But at the restaurant... well, I had a load of raw salad, some chicken breast and a jacket potato. Oh, and some scampi, chips, onion rings, mayo, and cheese. No idea how many calories, how much fat etc.; letís just categorise it as lots (and then some).

Iím not really too worried about this Ė I donít mind pigging out on special occasions, and thatís the last of them for a good few months.

Plenty of water today, and I drove to the meal so just drank diet coke and water there.

Wannabebig Member
    Trained at 5:30pm on Wednesday, 8th January 2003.

• Bench:
      50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 76 x 7 + 1 | 75 x 5
    • Deadlift:
      60 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 122.5 x 15 | 125 x 13
    • DB OH Press:
      19 x 8 | 24 x 8 | 24 x 6
    • L-fly:
      2.5 x 12 | 2.5 x 12

Not a bad session. The bench was OK, needing only a little bit of help for the 8th rep of 76ís. Iíd hoped to do better on the 75ís, Iím a bit disappointed with these but I did what I could. Iíll try the same weight next week again, hopefully get the full set of 76ís and a couple more 75ís (ideally a full set of 8 of both).

The deadlifts were good. The 122.5ís felt easy, though my form for the last three wasnít too hot. Rep 13 was a bit dodgy (it ended up being a two-phase process of straightening my legs then almost stiff-legging it up), so I stopped and tried to re-set myself for the last two reps (stood up, took a few breaths etc.). I obviously didnít get myself in position quite right for the last two, so they were really ugly. They still went up though.

The second set was a lot harder, but form felt really tight Ė as good as itís ever been I think. I stopped for brief pauses after reps 7 and 11. I then got two more good reps, but failed halfway up on rep 14 Ė my back just couldnít lift it, so I ended the set there. I was pleased that even when I failed it was with good form, and I could replace the bar carefully without having to just dump it. Thatís the first time Iíve failed to get all my reps on the deadlift, and itís actually made me more confident on the exercise. Lifting heavy weights - well, heavy for me - on exercises that hit the lower back always worried me slightly, but this has shown that I can really push hard and not compromise my form, which has allayed that worry a bit. Overall, the two work sets felt really productive.

I could probably have got the full 15 reps on the second set if I used more pauses earlier on. I may experiment with this in future, but for now Iíll just continue as I am, trying to inch the weight up slowly and get all my reps every time. If I can add even a kilo every week, and keep that up for a good few monthsÖ

Shoulder presses werenít bad, about what I expected really. I went up slightly in weight from last week, managing a full set of the 24ís then a partial set, as opposed to one set of 24ís last week. Iíll stay at that weight next week and try for two full sets. The new tiny plates (see below) should make it easier to increase in this exercise over the next few weeks.

Finished off the workout with two sets of L-flyís.

Overall it was a decent enough session. I was happy with the deads, and the bench and DB presses were OK Ė not spectacular, but not bad. I think our routine may be changing over the next couple of weeks, so weíll see how that affects things (Iíd prefer to deadlift on back day so my back gets more rest, and we may start doing chins rather than DB rows and EZ bar curls rather than dumbbells Ė but weíll see).

Other stuff:
    One cool thing to talk about today Ė we got some new toys. Two pairs of 0.5kg plates, two pairs of 0.25kg plates, and an EZ bar. Weíve found that jumping up 2.5kg at a time is a bit much on some exercises (e.g. DB shoulder presses), so these should hopefully make stepping up in weight a bit easier. I think Iíll prefer the more gradual increase in weight, rather than jumping up but not getting full sets.

Iíve also got to mention how impressed I was with the company we ordered the stuff from (Watson Gym Equipment in the UK). Every company Iíve heard of before has taken ages to get their arses in gear, but I ordered the bar and plates at 5.30pm on Monday and they arrived Wednesday morning at about 10am. Not bad at all!

Food:
    Food was decent for most of the day; more of the same at work, with plenty of cold meat sandwiches, a fair bit of fruit, and some milk. My evening meal was rice with pork and veg. I overestimated the quantity a little, and hence took too much insulin, so went hypoglycaemic in the evening, meaning I ended up scoffing full-fat coke (urgh!) and biscuits to bring my blood sugar back up Ė arse. Total intake was something like 200g protein, 400g carbs, 90g fat and 3200kcal. Drank loads of water today, in excess of 5 litres (more than usual because the office was something like 27 C today, and Iím generally most comfortable at about 17. Díoh).

Sleep:
    About 7 hours today. Forgot to mention sleep above, but it's been 7-8 hours each night - not quite as much as I'd like, but not too bad.

Blimey, long post Ė hope you managed to stay awake .

Nice journal Bonnie Lad! Good luck with your goals. I look forward to reading your entries.

Wannabebig Member
    Thursday, 9th January 2003

Iíve got a pleasant pumped feeling in my lower back thatís telling me my deadlifts were good yesterday. Well, itís not pleasant exactly Ė knowing yesterdayís workout was good is nice, but walking round like someone stuck a poker up my arse isnít the best. Still, the price we payÖ

Food has been the same as ever, sandwiches and milk through the day blah blah blah. Evening meal was steak, potato and veg, and I'll have a protein and milk shake before bed. Total is around 220g protein, 350g carbs, 80g fat, 3000kcal.

Weighed myself at 7:00pm, result:

Weight: 208 lbs
    Body-fat: 15.9% (note again that this may not be accurate, but should let me track progress up or down).

Thatís the first time Iíve weighed myself since I started the journal, so effectively thatís my starting point. Iíll probably weigh a couple of times a week, mainly because I want as many bf readings as possible to be able to track whatís happening. Though the result itself may not be that accurate, I can at least know which way I'm going.

Not much more to say really; no more training until Sunday morning, spending most of the weekend with my fiancť (so Iíll see how the food thing goes when Iím at hersÖ fingers crossed!) Iíll post some more updates when I get the chance; probably on Sunday sometime.

Right, that's the end of the catch-up spam .

Great journal man!

Nice and neaT
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by Bonny Lad
    Thursday, 9th January 2003

Iíve got a pleasant pumped feeling in my lower back thatís telling me my deadlifts were good yesterday. Well, itís not pleasant exactly Ė knowing yesterdayís workout was good is nice, but walking round like someone stuck a poker up my arse isnít the best. Still, the price we payÖ

I see you're not so new to the game since you already know the joys of deadlifting. So well done. Good luck on those goals.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Just curious as to why you keep the reps high on your deadlifts? Keep up the hard work and excellent journal.

Wannabebig Member
    Catch-up for the last couple of days...

Friday was OK food-wise. Same old sandwiches and stuff throughout the day, then chicken, potato and veg for an evening meal, with some milk for supper. Must have been around 3000kcal, and probably 220g protein.

Saturday wasn't so good. We went to see Lord of the Rings in the morning and I managed to eat a massive tub of chocolate during the film (which was excellent btw). The rest of the day was pretty good - lots of chicken, some bread, potatoes, fresh fruit, salad etc. - but that morning bout wasn't too clever. Total will have been something like 160g protein, 120g fat, 400g carbs, so about 3300kcal in total. Bleh. Will have to be more resolute in future, occasional crap is fine but not a whole tub of chocolate (about 250g) at a time.

Thanks all again for the encoragement. bradley, we've been doing high reps of squats and deads since we started lifting in October, basically to get used to the lifts. We're actually about to change a few things around, and one of the changes will be to drop the number of reps on the dead and squat, perhaps to 5 or 6. We're also going to swap a few exercises about - put in chins and bent-over rows for back rather than one-arm rows, perhaps try barbell presses for DB presses, and try EZ curls rather than DB curls. This'll be happening over the next week or two, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, today's exercise entry coming up...

Wannabebig Member
    Trained at 9am on Sunday, 12th January 2003.

• Squats:
      60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 77.5 x 15 | 77.5 x 15
    • Bent-over Rows:
      40 x 8 | 40 x 8
    • SLDL:
      50 x 8 | 92.5 x 8
    • EZ Curls:
      30 x 8 | 30 x 8 | 35 x 8

Not much of a workout today as I was very pressed for time and my training partner was feeling a bit ill. Squats were up from last week, still not maximal effort but fairly tough. Next week we will probably start trying for fewer reps with heavier weights.

Bent-over rows were intentionally light as it's the first time we've done them, so we're just learning form really. I think form was good, I certainly felt the lats and traps working, so we'll start adding weight from next week and hopefully should build up to "working hard" pretty fast.

SLDL's were good, but I only did one work set because I thought I was running out of time. Did them nice and slow though, good form on them all.

EZ curls were good, first time doing these instead of DB curls. We still did "heavy for us" weights, as the exercise is so similar to DB curls. I'll be building up from here, but probably not very fast - the 35's were tough, so it'll be kilo-at-a-time stuff pretty soon I reckon.

So overall, average at best. Form felt good throughout, but I didn't do as much work as I'd have liked. Not to worry, I think that'll be the last "hurried" workout for a while (fingers crossed!)

Food:
    Bleurgh. Not great. Breakfast was just milk, maybe 1 1/2 pints, then I didn't eat anything until a late lunch (I was driving all morning). Lunch was a Sunday roast, so plenty of protein and carbs, but also plenty of fat. This was followed by various cack in the afternoon, and a pretty crappy evening meal (just basically a "buffet" kinda thing, so probably more fat than anything else). I'll have a fruit, milk and protein powder smoothie later on, but on the whole the day's been pretty grim.

Sleep:
    8 hours+ each night, but I've been tired all day today so that still might not have been enough. I'll try to get to bed earlier today, so hopefully that'll sort me out...

Next training session is Wednesday, but depending how I feel I may do some accessory work before then; today's workout wasn't that taxing, so I may be able to do this without affecting my recovery.

Wannabebig Member
    Trained at 5:30pm on Tuesday, 14th January 2003.

• Bench Press:
      50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 76 x 8 | 72.5 x 6
    • Deadlifts:
      60 x 8 | 100 x 8 | 130 x 5 | 135 x 5
    • Pullovers:
      10 x 8 | 10 x 8
    • DB OH Press:
      19 x 8 | 24 x 8 | 24 x 10

Trained a day early as it was the most convenient day this week, and I did't feel any soreness after the last session. Pretty good workout overall. I got all 8 of the 76's, an improvement on last week, so I'll go for 77 next week. The second work set was still crap, I seem to have no endurance on the bench - if I do a work set with any real intensity my second set is always piss poor. Something to improve on in time I guess.

Today was the first day of a new rep range on the deadlift. We've done 15 reps for the last three months or so, and have changed to 5 for a while. On the 15-rep sets I'd built up to 122.5kg (and got 13 125kg), so my first work set was only a little heavier than this. It felt fairly hard, but manageable. The 135's likewise felt hard but achievable. My training partner noticed today that my shoulders are sort of "drooping down" at the top, so I think my traps must be a little weak - will have to concentrate on this in future.

Pullovers are just done to stretch, and I'm not really sure they're of much benefit. Any advice on this? I'm tempted to just drop them altogether.

OH presses were far better than last week; think I'll increase the weight slightly next week.

So on the whole, not bad. Progress on the bench is slow, but then I've always been a horrible bencher thanks to having long arms. Still, if I can average even three or four kilos per month for a year, that'd make me more than happy.

Food:
    Both Monday and today have been good. Normal stuff throughout the day, milk and sandwiches and fruit. Evening meals have been a roast beef dinner (plenty of protein and carbs, too much fat) and a lamb dinner (same again, though the lamb was very lean). Protein shakes with fruit and milk in the evenings have meant I've been around 3100-3200kcal both days, with way over 200g protein (probably 240-ish).

Sleep:
    Not great; I've been getting up earlier for work this week but still getting to sleep at the same time. Maybe 6.5 hours each night, and although it was sound sleep that isn't enough. Will go to bed earlier tonight.

Weight:
    I just found out that my scales are incredibly sensitive to the floor surface. Depending on which piece of floor they are on, they can read up to 6lbs different! Great. So as soon as possible I'll get some kind of solid platform (a lump of wood or something) for the scales to go on. Just adds one more layer of inaccuracy - arse! Arse arse arse. Thanks to this I have no way of knowing whether or not I've gained/lost weight this past week and a half. I haven't bothered recording my weight today because of this; as soon as I get a platform sorted out I'll weigh then, and go from there.

Good work on the deads. As far as the pullovers you might consider dropping them and putting in another exercise that suits your workout. I read where Arnold would do the dumb. pullovers to stretch the rib cage??, but I believe that has been proven false. Although Arnold did have one massive chest so who am I to say any different. Might want to run a search in the training forum and see what you come up with. Workouts looking good.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, I don't really find the pullover a very comfortable exercise, I think it's probably not doing me a great deal of good. I think I'd be better off doing shrugs or something, as it seems my traps are a weak point in my deadlift. Saying that, I don't know whether shrugging straight after deadlifting is a good idea; if my traps are weak, they're probably already getting a hard workout in the deadlift.

I'll have a think about it and maybe experiment next week; any thoughts or advice would be welcome .

Wannabebig Member
    I've just had the most humbling experience of my life. I'd always thought of myself as a realistic, honest-to-himself person, with a firm view of my place in this world - but I was shocked to discover I'm not.

You see, today... I took some photos of myself.

I never before appreciated how vast the difference between your mind's vision of your body, and the rest of the world's vision, can be. Or maybe it's a subconscious tightening of the belly and improved posture when you look in the mirror that's to blame. Whatever, I took a good look at the photos and realised just how much work I have to do. I've always thought I've not got a bad body, that it's at least "OK"; but photographic evidence to the contrary is kinda hard to dispute.

Still, it's the desire to improve which drives us all, and knowing what we're improving from is vital to know how to get to where we want to be. So, as embarrassed as I am of the photos, I'll post them here and look at them regularly and resolve to try harder to get away from the shape I'm in now, towards something better.

Note to anyone considering looking at these - they ain't pretty. I take no responsibility if your retinas spontaneously combust at the sight of my hairy podgy body. You have been warned...

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the shots - I'll work out a better place and take them in better lighting in future. And no, my back isn't yellow in places - that's just my dodgy photographic skills.

First picture is from the back, in an approximation of a lat spread...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wannabebig Member
    Next up is a back double bicep kinda shot

Wannabebig Member
    Third one, my thighs - I'd never realised how much fat I had on my legs until I took this. Urgh.

Wannabebig Member
    Final one is me doing a... um, a random pose. Not sure quite what this was supposed to be, it's ended up halfway between a "most muscular" (quite a feat considering the lack of muscle) and a "punch yourself in the balls" shot. Anyway, I'll post it for comedy value if nowt else.

(Note: if it looks like there's some pecs there, don't worry - I think it's mainly due to the lighting)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone has something they want to improve on. At least you are motivated which is something most people lack.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, I'm not really too gutted - I think it was just the shock of seeing myself accurately is all. I'm actually pretty motivated by it now - looking forward to taking photos evey couple of months or so and (hopefully) seeing progress.

Anyway, food for the last few days...

Wednesday was terrible. Had a massive hypo during the night, and for some reason instead of treating it properly I overate by a load. When I'm that badly hypo it's really hard to think straight, and the hunger I feel is indescribable; so I end up eating too much in an attempt to recover faster, even though I know that's not the best way to handle it.

Anyhow, I ate a load of crap in the night to counter the hypo, which meant I felt like sh*t in the morning because I was then hyperglycaemic, which in turn meant I couldn't face any food for a lot of the day. It wasn't until about 6pm that I could eat properly again.

After that, Thursday and Friday were good - lots of good calories, not much crap. I think I managed about 3200 cal per day, with at least 200g protein each day.

Wannabebig Member
    Trained at 9am on Saturday, 18th January 2003.

• Squats:
      60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 80 x 15 | 82 x 15
    • Chins:
      5 | 5 | 4
    • SLDL:
      50 x 8 | 95 x 8 | 95 x 8
    • EZ Curls:
      30 x 8 | 30 x 8 | 35 x 8 + 2

Squats are feeling better each week. Although we're only going up fairly slowly, my form's improving and I'm feeling it more and more. Both sets were solid form-wise, so I'm pretty happy with them.

We finally put the chin bar up today (after saying we'd do that for weeks). This is the first time doing chins for ages, I had no idea what to expect. We did them underhand, with a shoulder-width grip, going from completely straight arms at the bottom. I was happy with what I did, I know it's not many reps but it's a start. We'll keep doing them without any weight for a while before we start adding.

SLDL's were good again, went up slightly in weight and did the full 2 sets (last week only did one). Not much to say really, they felt fine.

The EZ curls were hard! My forearms were pumped from putting up the chin bar (muggins got to do most of the screwdriver work) and then chinning, and my bi's were a bit tired. Still managed to work them well though. We did all three sets with our backs against a pillar, so there was no movement / cheating. The "+2" on the final set was where I stood away from the pillar; the first of the two reps had some slight movement of the back, the second some slight movement plus a little help from a spotter.

Overall a good workout. Everything felt hard (i.e. productive), and I'm really looking forward to chinning. I think that will become one of my "focus" exercises for the next couple of months; I really really want to build up some good chinning strangth. Next training is Wednesday, so I'll just be eating until then.