Thread: lifting AND cardio

lifting AND cardio

Now, for some reason, I always have the urge to do cardio when I start weight training (not the same day, or anything). I was wondering...is it possible to get big while doing cardio and training at the same time? I really wanna swim since I like swimming and wanna get my swimming stronger for the summer (bodyboarding/surfing).

Also, I love those row machines they have at my gym. So, what do you think? Should I just bulk and lift for like 3-4 months then cut and start with the cardio then?
    Peace Be With You.

You can do cardio and still get big. You should probably consider the cardio you are doing in your daily caloric intake though. Be aware that if you do a lot of cardio your body will make adaptations that are counterproductive to maximal strength gains. As to the second part of your question, I think it depends on where you are at right now and where you want to be by the beginning of summer.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Of course you can get big and do cardio.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread ( ), but I was about to post a similar question. I lost my motivation this winter, but I found it again by setting a specific goal: get down to a certain weight or waist size (whichever comes first). To acheive my goal, I developed the following routine:

Day 1: cardio (bike for 45-60 minutes, target heart rate 140-160).
    Day 2: chest/upper back/shoulder/arms workout
    Day 3: off
    Day 4: cardio (see above)
    Day 5: legs/lower back workout
    Day 6: cardio
    Day 7: off

I might swap 6 & 7 depending on how I feel, but bottom line is 3 days of good sweaty cardio with 2 days of hard sweaty weight training.

I'd like to see gains in size/strength, but as long as I don't lose either one (and I drop the weight/waist size) I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

Wannabebig Member

Cardio + Weights?

You bet! (Just my opinion) I think my workout is not complete unless I do cardio too. I do weights first, and jog after -- 2 to 3 miles, according to how much I have left in my fuel tank by then.

This also seems to be the right thing according to something I've read recently having to do with your body not using the carbo's to store fat if you run after weights. I use to run first, then I'd do weights, because I thought that the weights would raise my blood pressure too much for running. But, now I find that I get much better from both if I do it weights first, then run.

There are probably thoughts on both sides of this issue?

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    the best strong muscles to have are a strong heart and lungs.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Re: Cardio + Weights?

Originally posted by St. Velkro
    You bet! (Just my opinion) I think my workout is not complete unless I do cardio too. I do weights first, and jog after -- 2 to 3 miles, according to how much I have left in my fuel tank by then.

This also seems to be the right thing according to something I've read recently having to do with your body not using the carbo's to store fat if you run after weights. I use to run first, then I'd do weights, because I thought that the weights would raise my blood pressure too much for running. But, now I find that I get much better from both if I do it weights first, then run.

There are probably thoughts on both sides of this issue?
    I'm usually way too tired to do any running after a weight workout! Although when I was fat, I'd run for 20 minutes and weight train for ~1 hour after. That shredded the fat away!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig Member
    Try to do all your cardio in the morning. If you think about, you just slept for approx 8 hours. All the food you ate previously, is now digested, used or stored or ready for waste. So when you do cardio, on an empty stomache, there are no calories left to burn, except for what you have stored. This allows you to directly burn stored fat, and won't affect your caloric intake. Meaning, throughout the rest of your day, all the food you eat will go directly to hypertrophy or muscle growth.

Please correct me if i am mistaken though...

I hope that's right, that's what I'm counting on. I could do cardio after my lifting, but instead do it on totally different days, first thing in the morning. And I'm frickin starving when I get home, so it better do some good.

A Fortnight Dead
    Dude,

Read the HIIT Sticky. It would do you well.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    With regard to doing cardio on an empty stomach, I think it is best to consume some protein and perhaps a little EFA's 30-45 min prior to cardio. From what I undestand, your body is in an extremely catabolic state after fasting over night for 7-9 hrs. Though this is good for fat oxidation, it is bad for maintaining muscle. The low level of glycogen will promote the burning of fat, unfortunately protein will be converted as well. This will eat up hard earned muscle. By eating some peotein prior to the morning cardio, you still get the fat burn and the protein that is inevitabley burned will come from what you ingested, not your muscles. At least that's what I've picked up on in my reading.
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!