Thread: Help on Seated Military Press...

Banned

Help on Seated Military Press...

ok...

when i'm doing seated military presses... I have a hard time getting the bar to the starting position when it's loaded with heavy weights, because i can't use any momentum to push it up. It's a lot easier once u've got yourself into the starting motion to crank out a few reps..

my question is... sitting in a seat puts you in a weak position to get the intial lift of the bar over your head... is there any good method of getting the bar up while sitting down? how do you guys do it?

also.. i don't like standing military presses, because it hurts too much when i arch my back when using heavier weights, and i like the seat for support. a little help?

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Re: Help on Seated Military Press...

Originally posted by TiGeR AK
    ok...

also.. i don't like standing military presses, because it hurts too much when i arch my back when using heavier weights, and i like the seat for support. a little help?
    This is because you are doing it wrong. Some back arching is required, but not to the point it hurts.

Banned
    ok but that doesn't help with the seated military press...

Get a spotter, or use lighter weights until you can unrack it yourself.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by TiGeR AK
    ok but that doesn't help with the seated military press...
    No it doesn't, but unfortunatelly it's all I can do for you as I don't do seated militariy press.

if you cant lift the weight its simple. use lighter weights. dont rely on momentum to get weight up, rely on your muscles. as for standing military, try it with one leg forward and one leg back , almost in a lunge postion, but not quite so far, might relieve some pressure off your back.

i do both seated and standing presses. fortunatley i have access to a smith machine for seated press. during the standing press i'll use a weight belt to help support my back and abdomen and use the staggered leg position while pressing it up. i'll also use a lil' momentum w/ my legs as i press the bar, it takes some pressure off the back. having a power rack helps too.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Banned
    Originally posted by MrWebb78
    if you cant lift the weight its simple. use lighter weights. dont rely on momentum to get weight up, rely on your muscles. as for standing military, try it with one leg forward and one leg back , almost in a lunge postion, but not quite so far, might relieve some pressure off your back.
    ahh great tip. duno why i didn't think of that earlier.

FAT
    i had the same problem getting a wee 100lbs off the rack, i had a spotter help and i was fine. it was just too hard to push up and control a weight thats 15 inches forward 25 inches up when i was solo.
    LHA 4 LIFE

Banned
    Originally posted by PaulB
    i had the same problem getting a wee 100lbs off the rack, i had a spotter help and i was fine. it was just too hard to push up and control a weight thats 15 inches forward 25 inches up when i was solo.
    exactly.. it's not that i can't lift the weight.. it's not too heavy or anything.. it's just in the seated position, you are in a very weak position and it's hard to unrack the weight.

Clean the weight off the floor first. then sit down and start pressing.

Robert