The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

something must be wrong here...I burn out WAY too fast

Dude, I don't know what it is. I'm doing my workout and I'll do my first set perfect, easy like no hassle. Then it comes to the 2nd or 3rd set and I can hardly do it. Sometimes, by the third set, I can't even lift the damn weight and it's irritating because I don't feel like I've done anything.

Any tips?

Am I not rebuilding my muscle fast enough?
    Peace Be With You.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you using the same weigh all 3 sets? How much time do you rest in between sets? How many reps are you going for on each set?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Are you doing the same weight for all 3 sets? Depending on your goals (strength/hypertrophy/mass) you may want to drop the weight 5 or 10 lbs each set, depending on how many reps you're doing.

I eat a good sized meal w/ protein and carbs about 90 mins before a workout too, to make sure I have energy.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 02-06-2003 at 02:20 AM.

Actually, I move the weights up and I'm supposed to do less reps on those. Like, I'll go 10, 8, 6 or 8,6,4 but someitmes I can't even get there...like, I'll do 3 on my second set.

Wouldn't dropping the weights after each set be sort of counter-productive?
    Peace Be With You.

You may just be moving the weights up too much too fast. Let's say I bench 135lbs. 10 times. I would probably only go up 5 or 10 pounds my next set and maybe even less than that for the 3rd.

How soon are you eating before lifting? Like stpatrick said, make sure you have enough energy before going to lift.

Not necessarily. I use the reverse pyramid or heavy weight first lifting scheme. I do my heaviest weight first and then drop the weight, do more reps and repeat once more. This has been working pretty well for me.

Also, how often do you lift? What does your routine look like?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

what does your diet/eating pattern look like?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Oh my, THIS IS ME. I can't believe it...I'm not the only person. YESYESYESYES. I will lift like you, only to have no strenght for the last sets, BUT FEEL NOTHING. Doesn't it make you angry? Don't you feel terrible beyond recognition. You feel everyones strong but you, its humilating. Peace what do you? What can I do?

Originally posted by rodent500
    Oh my, THIS IS ME. I can't believe it...I'm not the only person. YESYESYESYES. I will lift like you, only to have no strenght for the last sets, BUT FEEL NOTHING. Doesn't it make you angry? Don't you feel terrible beyond recognition. You feel everyones strong but you, its humilating. Peace what do you? What can I do?
    STFU!!!!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

NateDog what are you trying to say. Don't be so subtle. lol

My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

YOU SIR NEED TO START LIGHTER. IF YOU CANT FINISH YOUR ROUTINE LIKE YOUS HOUD BECAUSE IT IS TO HEAVY. LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD.
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

chronic overtrainer
    under the bar or over the bar during the week, at the bar on weekends

you're joking right?
    I mean, you are really having a good laugh about all this. I hope so because I wouldn't want to be you if you run into one of the members here out in the real world pal.tuttut
    Cortisol is the enemy.

Remember, it is not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by McBain
    what does your diet/eating pattern look like?
    Are you eating enough, before/after workout and during the rest of every day? If you could tell us more detail regarding your routine and your diet, we can probably make some more specific suggestions.

(As to the troll, just ignore him and he might go away...)

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Warmup and do your heavier set first and then drop weight each set after and see how that feels.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Adequate nutrition every day and especially putting something light (like a protein shake) into your body 45 mins or so before the workout could help here, as well . . .

if you want your body to work, you have to put fuel in the tank

Whenever I do heavy first and light last, I always can not finish it. Thats what I've treid to say. I can't finish it no matter how light it is. Do I need medidcal tests?

chronic overtrainer
    under the bar or over the bar during the week, at the bar on weekends
    Whenever I do heavy first and light last, I always can not finish it. Thats what I've treid to say. I can't finish it no matter how light it is. Do I need medidcal tests?
    Maybe you should go see a psychiatrist?
    Cortisol is the enemy.

Remember, it is not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    You become paralysed?!?!?

I'm with the other guy, GO SEE A PSYCHIATRIST!!!

Originally posted by PeaceBeWithYou
    Actually, I move the weights up and I'm supposed to do less reps on those. Like, I'll go 10, 8, 6 or 8,6,4 but someitmes I can't even get there...like, I'll do 3 on my second set.

Without knowing any other details I'm guessing you're using too much weight. Try using lower weights.

Re: something must be wrong here...I burn out WAY too fast

Originally posted by PeaceBeWithYou
    Dude, I don't know what it is. I'm doing my workout and I'll do my first set perfect, easy like no hassle. Then it comes to the 2nd or 3rd set and I can hardly do it. Sometimes, by the third set, I can't even lift the damn weight and it's irritating because I don't feel like I've done anything.

Any tips?

Am I not rebuilding my muscle fast enough?
    Rest more btween sets at least 4 mins.

I start heavy, and have to go down weight or reps on my second set (never do a third for exercises). Was even worse when I started. I'd get off 10 and then get maybe six on my second set. Over time my body started getting use to it and the difference between sets wasn't nearly as much, but it's still there.

Might wanna work on endurance if your really concerned about it, but provided your hitting failure and progressing still, I don't know if it's really that big a deal.
    LaLa

Originally posted by NateDogg

STFU!!!!
    I totally f'n agree. Rodent is the biggest whinner on this board. Then again he's stupid enough to use 35lbs in one hand and 30lbs in another while doing curls. We suggested WBB#1 but nothing get's through to this kid.

-Calipso

Ey, for all of you who suggested going with heavy first...THANKS! I did the reverse pyramid thing for my chest workout today (with dumb-bells) and it worked great. I actually completed my whole workout! I was real happy about that. Thanks again.
    Peace Be With You.

See what happens when people actually listen to the advice and put it into practice?
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Also, I did take longer breaks and I feel that helped a lot too. It was great, guys.
    Peace Be With You.