Thread: Dumbbell Shoulder Press VS Barbell Military Press

Dumbbell Shoulder Press VS Barbell Military Press

dumbbell shoulder press less likely to gain injury on it?

which, in ur opinion, is a better excercise for mass n strength for shoulders? dumbbell shoulder press has more range of motion, but u can pile on more weight for military...but which would u recommend for a work out? i've done both, and it seems military press seems less productive to me...wat bout the rest of u? it might be just a preference thing, i'm just askin u kno
    Skillz

3:16
    i doubt there is very little difference once you have taken into account of variables like how much work your shooulders do when benching or dipping.

Do the exercise your prefer. both in a good routine will allow you to progressive overload.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I think dumbbell presses give you a larger ROM, which is the biggest advantage. Usually I can really feel it the most in my deltoids if I do presses with dumbbells as opposed to the bar. I'd just stick with alternating between the 2 to get the best of both worlds.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

standing military with a barbell......mostly cuz im the only one at my gym who does them.

Wannabebig Member
    Its harder to progress using dumbells....
    I had no problem hitting all my sets with 65's, then when I went to 70's I managed to finish 2 sets and my shoulders were shot...
    Its alot easier to use progessive resistance with a BB since you can put on 2 1/2 lbs plates or even 1 1/4 plates if your having trouble moving up..
    My 2 pennies

Simplistic
    I've had great results using both. I think it is an individual preference. Try them both and see which works best for you.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-10-2003 at 01:49 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I think db's place more emphasis on the anterior delt. Stability seems to be the limiting issue with regard to progressing. Takes much more effort to stablize db's when you go heavy. JMO.
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

Wannabebig Member
    i think both are very effective

DB's are much better. They put less stress on the joint and if you have sensitive rotator cuffs or whatever, you will find a world of difference using DB's. That is all i use. If you feel you cant progress enough with DB's, you arent trying or arent intense enough...
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

yeah i just started DB for that reason...being that my rotator cuffs pop alot....n its been doin for that for a year or 2, but i highly doubt its an injury, since its in both shoulders especially...i just think a part of my shoulders is unstable, so i'm tryna work out every angle of em i can, all heads of the delts...so i just noticed i gain bettter wit DB's rahter than barbell, more like get hurt from BB
    i remember when BB military was my fav excercise too tho
    Skillz