The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Some newbie questions

Hey guys,

New to the board. Have some questions which I'm sure you all have seen at one point in time, sorry if they seem stupid. I just started lifting, about a month and a half ago. To build initial muscle, I've been doing primarily machines. I go every other day, and exercise most all the major muscle groups, lower and upper body. Since I had very low muscle mass to begin with, I've seen enough improvement to make me feel like I'm doing some good. I have seen a lotta people say they exercise their major muscle groups no more than once, or twice a week. I do so about 4 times a week. Are there ramifications to this? Approximately how long should the muscles "rest"? And for all of those people who will suggest free weights, I am attempting to make that transition with a buddy who knows what exercises to do.
    Yeah anyway answers to those questions and any tips for a novice would be great thanks for your help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I never took a day off at all the first three weeks when i started, but only was doing legs once a week. I think smaller muscles dont take as long to recover, I wasn't walking around sore and miserable. I noticed good strength gains, although i credit some to just getting proper form/balance down on my lifts. People are going to say you wont get really strong or big from only machines, the majority is after size and strength on here, not to just look "decent." Also its important for you to say if you are going to full failure or not. Some programs ask to go almost to failure and do more sets more often thru the week. I am lifting at home and most of the time by myself no spot so that is what ive been doing out of safety reasons
    may 21- 6'5" 185lbs

Want to be at 200# by July 4th, wearing the same 34 waist pants

Indian - post your exact routine (excercises, sets, reps) and we can tell you if it's any good. Don't work any muscle group more than twice a week max. More isn't always better.

Diet.

Diet is important, make sure you're getting a lot of protein and avoid fast food. Take a look in the Diet forum to get a good idea of what kind of foods you should be eating.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick. Bruce Lee

Id recommend a full body workout with basic exercises each time for a time period of say 6 months for a newbie.
    2-3 times a week, maybe even 4 times.
    Just to get the body used to heavy movement and the exercises that builds mass.

If bodybuilding is your main thing, this could be it. This method can also be used for the sport of power lifting as well.

Otherwise Id do a split training schedule at start; Never workout the same muscle group 2 a week. Work out 3-4 maybe even 5 times a week. 4 exercises x 3 sets.
    Why wait longer than necessary.
    What the heck....

Just be sure u dont overdo anything in the gym and take it easy with every exercise learn them before u do them, dont push yourself over the top and get injured. No one wants to get injured in the beginning !
    Ask ppl, maybe even the coach at your gym, around u how to do the exercise properly and correct before u do it yourself without proper knowledge.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the help guys... I appreciate it!