The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Speed Benching

Speed Benching

I'm looking for some info on how to get my bar speed up. Trying to increase my 1rm and I think if I worked on my bar speed it could help me reach my goal. Anyone have any good reading on this technique or a routine they follow to increase bar speed.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your bar speed? If I'm reading this correctly you're talking about the time it takes to complete one rep of your bench press... I guess if you really wanted to work on that, you could, but many people tend to really screw up thier form (either intentionally or not) when they try to do exercises really quickly, which can lead to injury. Make sure to have at least one really reliable spotter with you.

The most commonly accepted practice I've seen is to do multiple sets of 3, with roughly 60% of your max. Just explode through the movement as fast as possible.

I'm sure there is plenty written in the articles on dynamic effort days on elitefts.com.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

You can also do a lot of singles with 85-95% of your max.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Thanks for the feedback. How do you all incorporate this into your workout?

Say I do 3 sets of 3 w/ 60% 1rm, then 3 sets 1 w/ 85% 1rm. Then do my normal chest workout, 8-10 work sets. High intensity. i'm assuming these speed sets won't fatigue me at all.

That would be an incorrect assumption. 8x3 @ 60%, assuming you do them with all out effort (which is how you build the speed), will definately tax you.

Why is your goal to increase your 1RM?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

westsiiiiide
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

If you do a seperate speed day you can do as paul suggested, which is what I meant also with multiple sets of 3. Or you could just finish off your bench day with a couple dynamic sets and see how that goes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

That would be an incorrect assumption. 8x3 @ 60%, assuming you do them with all out effort (which is how you build the speed), will definately tax you.

Why is your goal to increase your 1RM?
    Ego I guess. My over all goal is to keep getting stronger and progressing with my training. A few months back I set a goal of 405 on the bench by 3/1. I put myself around 375 right now so I don't know if I'll make it, but I'm gonna still try. I've noticed that my speed on the bench sucks on hard reps and I've developed a sticking point were I pause for a second.

I'll replace a chest work out with some speed benching and try it out for a few weeks. Thanks for the advice yall.

It wil ltake more than 'a few weeks'.

Think about your goals. Are you a bodybuilder? powerlifter? Recreational lifter?

I'm not saying 405x1 is a bad goal. It't a great goal. But I do want to make sure you don't short circuit your training for your REAL goals to get there.

It takes a long time for someone fairly strong/advanced (and a 375 bench is that) to really move a 1RM, unless they specifically train for it, and little else.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Hey Paul, Yea when I say a few weeks I mean i'll try it out and see if I want to incorporate it into my training permenatley and how. I'm not exactly sure on the defenitions and differences between a bodybuilder and power lifter. I guess I'm more recreational. I've only been lifting for under 2 years now. I take my training very seriously though and work hard.

My real goals are to become as physically efficient as possible. Strength, speed, coordination, and quickness. I'd be lying if I didn't list physical appearance as a big motivation also. 4 plates on each side has been a dream of mine since I started lifting(a dream I never thought I'd reach at 1st). Over all I think my lifts are decent, but no were near my potential. So I like to learn about different training techniques. I trying to make the change to being more advanced with my lifting, instead of just being 'recreational'.

Then you might really enjoy westside training.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.