The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Always bad with diet
    I have a serious question. Is it possible to slash your bodyfat in half in 6 months? If my bodyfat is 24%, can I actually get to 12% or even lower in 6 months. MY routine is 3 days of lifting, four days of cardio and other athletics, and a pretty strict diet. I am counting cals, macros, and keeping my sugar and sodium way low. Someone please tell me, I am sick of having a spare tire around my midsection. It would be great to have abs, and veiny biceps for once in my fat life. Please help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MACHINE
    How much do you weigh? You could probably plan on losing muscle mass with this drastic bf% change.

Always bad with diet
    230 lbs. Im eating over 2200 calories a day. I'm have big body features, but they are covered by some fat. Picture me like a tight end in football, I am big, but my muscles are not full and defined cuz of the fat. I just wanna keep my muscle and lose the fat. I am on a eating plan from a personal trainer so I know thats legit, but how much will my bodyfat percentage change if I stick with this for 6 months.

Always bad with diet
    I want muscle, but I don't want to like like a big time bodybuilder with a lot of mass. I rather look like Shannon Sharpe. He has an athletic body. Gabe Kapler. Im 6 foot 2

MACHINE
    2200 calories is damn low. I'd suggest going no lower than 3,000 if you want to lose fat and preserve muscle. Spreading out your meals over the day will raise your metabolism. Instead of eating 3 or 4 times a day, try eating 6 meals every day at about 450-550 calories each. If your trainer knows anything, he'll put you on a good diet program with plenty of protein, good carb sources(wheat, grain, & fruit) and low fat. Right now you are carrying about 55 lbs of fat. I think that losing 25-30 lbs of fat in 24 weeks is going to be tough considering you'd like to preserve the muscle you have, but not impossible. It all depends on just how good your diet is.

Always bad with diet
    Thanks Gino. I appreciate all your knowledge. Actually I got my diet plan from Miss Abs about 4 months ago, but I have been such a ***** I'm am only putting it into effect now. Plus the fact that I dislocated my shoulder and was on the shelf for 2 months gorging on junk food didn't help.

I agree with Gino that you should at least start the diet with a greater # of kcals. When I was 19 I dropped from 220lbs to 186 to compete in the teen Az bodybuilding show. I did this in 6.5 weeks. I started the diet at about 22-2300 kcals and because I lost the weight so quickly I lost a lot of muscle mass. There are roughly 26 weeks in 6 mos so if you lose 1 lb per week you could lose 26 lbs total. If you start your diet so low you will lose much more than 1 lb per week. Losing more than 1 lb per week will probably result in too much muscle loss. Losing the weight slowly (1 lb per week) will allow you to lose primarily fat and you will then have a better chance of keeping the weight off. I suggest you follow a diet that starts you off at 3500 kcals and then you adjust from there. In other words, start at 3500 and see if you lose any fat. Give this a good 1-1.5 weeks. If you are losing the target of 1 lb per week then continue at that calorie level until you are not. At that point, drop your kcals by 300-400 and continue at the new level until you plateau again. I want to emphasize that you should create a diet that you can live with, otherwise you will lose weight and then just gain it back a short while later. Try to keep the percentages at 55/25/20 for carbs, protein, and fats respectively. This should allow for a liveable diet that you can train with and live with for the rest of your life. One last thing, give yourself one day per week in which you "cheat" by allowing yourself whatever you want.

MACHINE
    Mmmmmm...forbidden cheat day. I love Sunday. Sunday is my only real day off from the gym during the week, and it is the day after the most grueling workout of the week(legs), so the boatload of calories that I eat is much needed. The first thing I do when I wake up...which is usually close to noon...is go to TACO BELL. Mmmmm...gorditas, tacos, burritos, oh my.

Like Chris said though, make SMALL adjustments to your diet for the best results.

Always bad with diet
    Thanks guys. Not that I would try to question any of your guys expertise, but why would Miss Abs have me at 2200 cals a day for my customized diet, but you guys think 3500 cals give or take. I'm really confused here. Since I value all of your opinions, which do I take, can Miss Abs be that off, I wouldnt think so, but I'm clueless. Please Help. I dont wanna be goin about this all wrong!!

I wannabebig!
    if your working with miss abs why are you questioning her judgement and just work with her.

Always bad with diet
    I am not questioning her Ryuage. I asked about a bodyfat% question and Gino wanted to know how many cals I was eating for my diet to lose this bf, I told him, and he thought I was eating way too little to do what I want. Chris MAson said the same, so of course I'm gonna continue questioning, thats why I'm at this site, to learn from knowledgeable people, which I'm not in this field, so take a pill and relax.

Nope, I am not that off...... first of all, for those that have and do work with me, I start most people off very close to the amount of calories that they are currently eating. By doing this, and cleaning up how the percentages of macros fall, it will get you on the "road to recovery" . Once the diet is cleaned and the person is used to eating in this fashion at that point, calories are either increased ( in most cases) or decrease, depending on how the body is reacting.
    That is why I always explain to people, that I DO NOT write diets, I coach you to your physique goals.
    So depending on the information that you gave me when you first came aboard, that is how I would come up with your intail caloric requirements. However if you follow through and start and or stick with those would have changed with in the first few weeks, ask any one that I work with how often I can and do change macros and calories.
    You cannot take someone that is eating less than 2000 calories per day and just toss them 3000 calories especially if fat loss is an issue and expect good things to happen.

If you are looking for a cookie cutter, one size fits all diet then buy a book, if you are looking for personalize help and serious about sticking with it, get a coach.

MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Mr. Hand, here's the deal. I think Gino's point, and I know mine was that to get to 230 lbs with 24% bodyfat you probably were consuming more than 2200 kcals. It is possible you were eating 2200 to get to that bodyfat percentage, but highly improbable. A Big Mac and large fries is around 1000 kcals, so my guess is that you were eating more than 2200. We also think that you should not crash diet. A 230 lb individual consuming 2200 kcals is crash dieting (in almost all cases). We suggested that you start higher. I suggested a very rational approach of starting high and then gradually reducing your calories. Did you read my post closely? Follow my suggestions and you will lose weight in a healthy and more permanent manner. I am not bashing Miss Abs because I don't know any specifics. Did she start you on 2200 kcals, or gradually get you there? Maybe she started you there based on information you gave her that was erroneous. A lot of people vastly underestimate what they eat in a day.

Why does it feel like a bashing?

I can tell you based on his files he WAS NOT eating more than that at the time he came on.

MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

bone crusher
    Dont have much time but a great post! Miss abs it was interesting that in fagain's book he doesn't once mention the # of cals one should consume. Indeed it seems more like a frame of a diet, with the user filling the details in through experimentation and through advice ofpeople like yourself. There really is no one good concrete-don't have to think about a thing- diet.

I agree, that is one of the things that I do differently than Rob does, it I believe you still have to manage the calories for fat loss, as well as mass gains.

What you eat and what I eat can and will be very differnt amounts.

MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

MACHINE
    I simply made the incorrect assumption that being 40 lbs heavier and 18% bf higher than me, he would be eating at least the same amount of calories as I do to maintain his weight. He must have been eating meals very spaced out during the day and have a very slow metabolism to maintain that weight with so few calories. My bad.

Always bad with diet
    Miss Abs, I just wanted to say that I was not at all trying to bash you or demean your wisdom. I was just wondering because I had gotten a different opinion from Gino and Chris. I'm sorry if this was interpreted in the wrong fashion. I don't want you guys to not respond to my questions because you think I am ignorant. I'm not. Once again, sorry. I'm just trying to better myself.

All in favor for Black Ballin' mr_hand say, I!!

This post did not really seem like a flame or anything...just clarifications. No biggy.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

I still remember my first encounter with Abs... similar subject.

She had someone on what I thought to be a very low calorie intake.

Once she explained all of her reasoning, it made sence.

Mr Hand: No worries, I know you where not. As I have said time and time before. If you get advise from some one, use and learn from it. Do not fish especially if you are not sure of what it is you are trying to learn. Take the lesson and use it, you may learn that you would never, never do it that way again, or you may learn a very vauable life lesson that you will use time and time again.
    We all have a tendency to second guess, and get that third opinion on many lessons..... what we usual get is more confusion, more frustration and ultimately never learn a thing.
    Raise your hand if that made any sense.....

Staggs: Yeah, I remember that one, dam I knew I was right, and I was going to my grave to prove it to ya...... one of the reasons, that I have found such a cool friend. You! I'm still chuckling over that one.....

Gino: Thanks for your honesty, and clarity.

MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

I never said you were right.

MACHINE
    Savor the flavor and don't expect it to EVER happen again. I like to ramble incoherently and tell lies.

BTW, one of these days I'll reply to your e-mail. I'm not ignoring it...well, maybe for now I am.

You both crack me up......
    MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com