The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    I don't understand why the trainer thinks it would be good to work the entire upper body on the same day. Plus, the deadlift is a must for any routine.
    No exercise is a must for any routine.

Well, I have recently found that deadlifting is helping my squat quite a bit, so I would suggest doing deads too
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Vido

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I see 2 cardio sessions per week in that program. I hardly think that is overkill. Cardio is not going to keep you from getting big; not eating enough will keep you from getting big.
    Oh I definitely agree, but with this guy, as little as he is eating, 1 cardio session is one too many. Unless he can increase his calories, its going to be too much.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Ok, fair enough.

the kid from oz
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    I don't understand why the trainer thinks it would be good to work the entire upper body on the same day. Plus, the deadlift is a must for any routine.

:withstupi especially at that volume too

I don't have a problem with wbb1

I showed the trainer it, in fact so far wbb1 has been good. The trainer felt this is what I needed, but I want to know, especially homeyield, do think this is a good idea for me or not? Why do some of you think wbb1 is better? Oh, before you talk about me eating, I had this today.

2 bowls of cereal
    macoroni and a bacon sandwich yogurt
    applesauce
    2 strip steaks 1 lamb chop applesauce
    yogurt

Hey Rodent, why not skip the bowls of cereal or cut it down to 1. And have 3 boiled, or fryed whole eggs. Good protein, and have a couple of slices of toast for carbs.

Robert

A Fortnight Dead
    Rodent, are you incapable of reading the diets we post and using one of them?

How hard is it to do that?

Could you, for example, eat this EVERY DAY:

Meal One:

A heaping pile of oatmeal.
    Lots of eggs.
    Protein shake.

Meal Two:
    Lots of brown rice.
    Lots of chicken.
    Flax oil.

Meal Three:
    Same as meal two.

Meal Four:
    Post-workout shake.

Meal Five:
    Same as meal two and three.
    Or use fish, turkey, or steak instead of chicken.

Meal Six:
    Protein shake
    flax oil.

Get the idea?

How hard is it to put together a decent diet?
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

If it was spaced out more and not just for one week I might have seen that working for somebody. It might also work for a beginner just wanting to lose weight. Your goal is to gain weight right?

I think it would still be in your best interest to stick with wbb 1. If I had known what I know now, I would have started with something very similar. It takes time to adjust and learn all the little techniques but this program is very well written and has many supportive stories to show its effectiveness.

Take a look at all the journals around. You will find that there is almost nobody doing that routine. Whether for cutting or bulking. You'll find many people here doing wbb 1 with very good results. That should tell you something right there. With all the incredible smart and knowledgable people on this board have any of them recommended something like that routine that trainer gave you? Not one person has.

Stick with, wbb1 and you will see far better results. You have been doing it with good progress and the gains will only keep coming. That's my personal opinion. Stick with wbb1.

As for your diet, eat more. You are still not eating enough. Have you started tracking your calories? We might have a better idea if you posted your caloric intake too. Just take a few extra minutes when you are eating and read the label. Take note of the calories and post them here when you get the chance. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just round it down though to be better off. Its getting there but I still don't think its enough.

You are making progress and you will feel much better about yourself in the coming months if you stick with wbb1. IMHO.
    What is elite?

Whats your main cocnern with the trainer's workout? Too much training in a week? Do you think that I may overtrain with that and not recover in time to get bigger?

If you think I should stay on wbb1, can you do me a favor. Can you tell me how long I should be on wbb1 before I go to wbb2, if I should do the weight and reps each cycle or if I should either weights and or raise reps.

Takes people's lunch money MONOLITH's Avatar

Re: I don't have a problem with wbb1

Originally posted by rodent500
    1 lamb chop applesauce

Heh.

Why, in the back of my head, do I hear Bobby Brady saying "pork chops and applesauce" in that lispish voice?

Re: Re: I don't have a problem with wbb1

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MONOLITH
    [B]Heh.

Why, in the back of my head, do I hear Bobby Brady saying "pork chops and applesauce" in that lispish voice?

silly goose

Be serious.
    Last edited by rodent500; 02-14-2003 at 10:56 PM.

Yes, my main concern with the trainer's workout is overtraining. You won't be able to keep that up with any sort of intensity for very long without getting hurt.

Stick with wbb1 for around 8 to 10 weeks and then hopefully, by then you will have a better understanding and can reevaluate where you stand at the point.

You're goal should be to continually add weight to whatever you are doing. If you can't do six reps its too heavy. If you can do 9 reps or more add 5 pounds. You will have to play with the numbers a bit. Its not an exact science. That's roughly my formula. 9 reps is too light, less than 6 its too heavy. Keep it up and you'll see the progress. Try to make it your goal to add weight at least every other week if not every week. If you did 6 reps on bench last week then go up to 7 reps. If you did 8 reps on bb curls last week, add 5 pounds and try to get 6-8 reps. If you get 8, add weight. If you get 7 reps, stay there and try for 8 next week. Stick to something along those lines for example. Make sense?

Good luck. Push yourself and eat. -v- laid out a very good diet. Read that and learn. Try for around 3000 calories and you might be doing alright.
    What is elite?

what I meant by overtraining is that do you think if I lift 4 times a week, my muscles won't recover, and I will be stuck and ubale to complete my workouts? I was a little worried that I would start to not be able to finish my reps.
    I have to say, my shoulders and bicepts feel stronger, but when looking at them, they may not be much bigger, perhaps a little. If I know this right, and I think I do, can I expect that while I may feel and look strong today, but when I look close I am not much stronger, that after doing this for awhile, that small gain will add?

I have been doing squats, but I have been using the smith squat where you latch the bar. Are free squats better?

Oh, before you talk about me eating, I had this today.

2 bowls of cereal
    applesauce
    yogurt
    Here's what I had:

1 egg + 5 egg whites w/ mozzarella cheese
    1 glass of milk
    1 bagel w/ cream cheese

800 calorie shake

package of ramen noodles
    8oz chicken breast w/ mozzarella cheese
    big-ass glass of milk

10-12 ounces of corned beef
    bagel w/ cream cheese
    big-ass glass of milk

600 calorie shake
    Hot pocket
    string cheese

Throw in a few cokes and snacks and you get the idea.

EAT MORE
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

can you tell me

why I should do wbb1 and not this one? I just want to know what you don't like about the trainer's workout and why you think wbb1 is better for my goal.

I showed the trainer it, in fact so far wbb1 has been good. The trainer felt this is what I needed, but I want to know, especially homeyield, do think this is a good idea for me or not? Why do some of you think wbb1 is better? Oh, before you talk about me eating, I had this today.

2 bowls of cereal
    applesauce
    yogurt
    For the love of God man, EAT MORE!! No wonder your lifts aren't progressing. You have to decide whether you want to look like a bodybuilder or Kate Moss.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Grasshoppa
    Because WBB1 allows you to work the intended muscles at high intensity with maximum rest periods in between training those muscle groups.

How long should you stick with a routine? As long as you can. Changing it from day to day won't help you much, especially at your level of inexperience. You can stay on WBB for a year, a month, 3 months, 2 years...as long as you're still gaining. Or, if you're bored with it (which should generally be after a few months hopefully), then switch it up a bit.

There is no set time to stay on a routine, but being consistent with one will be most beneficial to beginners.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

A Fortnight Dead
    We've told you why WBB1 is better: the other routine is excessive, poorly designed, and altogether worthless.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    We've told you why WBB1 is better: the other routine is excessive, poorly designed, and altogether worthless.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. I agree that WBB1 is better though.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

But a trainer gave it to him!

Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

A Fortnight Dead
    Nate,

Perhaps I overemphasized....but, given the subject here, I thought it was necessary, no?
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    Nate,

Perhaps I overemphasized....but, given the subject here, I thought it was necessary, no?
    I can't argue with that.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

FAT
    think you are all giving this guy crap. any routine if you stick to it will help you a TON. working your abs everyday WILL make them stronger. didnt you guys wrestle, play football or swim in highschool???? yeah if you sit there and go to failure everyday then keep pushing yourself past that i can see you losing some mass. other than that, go for it.

wrestling in high school. 6 days a week, 2 and a half hours a day. little to eat. 15% body fat to under 10. weight: from 109lbs to 117lbs in 3 months. and yes everyone gets fat after the season ends.
    LHA 4 LIFE

I'm no experts
    Damn could have fooled me.

Seriously though, if the trainer consultation didn't cost anything, then I would seriously just stick to the WBB routine.